ssh works one direction and not the other

ssh works one direction and not the other

Post by Joey He » Thu, 14 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Nightheron is my sister's computer, and when I was setting it up here on my
local network, ssh worked fine. Now she has connected it up to ethernet in
her dorm (oh, I'm so envious.. :-), and when I try to ssh to her computer, I
see this:

SSH Version 1.2.14 [i586-unknown-linux], protocol version 1.4.
Standard version.  Does not use RSAREF.
Reading configuration data /etc/ssh/ssh_config
ssh_connect: getuid 500 geteuid 0 anon 0
Connecting to nightheron [130.58.235.124] port 22.
Allocated local port 1021.
connect: Operation not supported on transport endpoint
Trying again...
Connecting to nightheron [130.58.235.124] port 22.
Allocated local port 1022.
connect: Operation not supported on transport endpoint
Trying again...
Connecting to nightheron [130.58.235.124] port 22.
Allocated local port 1022.
connect: Operation not supported on transport endpoint

Eventually ssh gives up and uses rsh to log in.

Sshd is running on nightheron, and I can ssh to localhost fine on
nightheron. I can also ssh from nightheron to my own computer without
difficulty.

I also get this same problem from other computers elsewhere on the net. None
of them can ssh to nightheron. All other network traffic seems to work fine.

Could this problem be caused by a firewall or something?

--

$o=35;$_="$^I-*!=====_!/";s/~/!*/g;s~%~-/ / ~g;$_.='---      Joey Hess
';s/=/__/g;y|*!| \\|;for(split/-/){print' 'x$o--."$_\n"}# a M.C. Escher fan

1. Samba works - in one direction

Attempting to use Samba to share between a debian
linux box and a Windows 2000 box.

After some effort, I can see my (debian) shared directory
in Network Neighborhood on the Win 2K box.  I can
create files (on the Win2K box) in this directory and
read them from debian.

But so far, attempts to mount the Win 2K shares under
debian Linux have failed.

Command "smbclient -L debian" shows what looks like
the right info.

But "mount" and "smbmount" of the Win2K share don't
work.

I've worked through the tests and exercises in
/usr/share/doc/samba-doc/DIAGNOSIS.txt.gz,
and all of them work fine.

Any clues??  Maybe something in my Win2K setup?

rafe b.

2. Getting my Cable modem to work with Linux

3. NFS mounts only work in one direction

4. /etc/passwd clarification

5. IP forwarding working in one direction only !?

6. Support for Trio 64

7. Host to host NIC bonding works only in one direction

8. Serial question question

9. ssh -Y and ssh -X not working

10. PPP works only in one direction

11. NFS mounts only work one direction

12. can mount nfs one direction, but not another

13. ssh -R from work to home and ssh from home to work