Linux Router vs. Linux Firewall

Post by Jim Holco » Mon, 27 Nov 2000 04:00:00

I have 2 PC's, 1 running Win98 and the other is dual booting RedHat 7.0
and Win98.  I have a cable modem and *used* to have a Linksys router but
since it died a few months ago I've been paying for 2 IP addresses from
Roadrunner.

I have an old Pentium 75 that I want to setup to share my internet
connection.  I already have 2 nic's installed in it.

My question:  should I just install RH 7.0 and use IP masquerading to
share the connection, or should I download and install one of the Linux
Router on a diskette packages and use that?

Thanks for any info/recommendations in advance.

Jim

Linux Router vs. Linux Firewall

Post by Greg » Tue, 28 Nov 2000 10:55:29

The 1 disk router is easy if you only plan on using the box for masq the
internet connection only.  I did that for awhile and then got brave and set
it up on the same box later. Always had the disk to fall back on if i
screwed something up.    Good luck

I'm using RH7.0 and it seems to work just fine. for the masq and as a web
server.

> I have 2 PC's, 1 running Win98 and the other is dual booting RedHat 7.0
> and Win98.  I have a cable modem and *used* to have a Linksys router but
> since it died a few months ago I've been paying for 2 IP addresses from
> Roadrunner.

> I have an old Pentium 75 that I want to setup to share my internet
> connection.  I already have 2 nic's installed in it.

> My question:  should I just install RH 7.0 and use IP masquerading to
> share the connection, or should I download and install one of the Linux
> Router on a diskette packages and use that?

> Thanks for any info/recommendations in advance.

> Jim

Linux Router vs. Linux Firewall

Post by ds143 » Tue, 28 Nov 2000 15:16:02

I use  Coyote Linux as a gateway/firewall for my DSL line. I like it (over a
full distro like Mandrake), because it's easy to setup, I can use it on an
old computer (P66), it's very quiet (quiet fan, no hard drives), it provides
connections sharing and firewall protection, and most of all, I can just
flip the power button on and off (no having to login or logoff, and no
monitor or keyboard required). It's the closest thing to a commercial device
like the Linksys router. The only drawback is that you have to setup the
firewall rules yourself, where as on a full distro, you can either do it
manually, or install automated firewall programs, like PM Firewall.

> I have 2 PC's, 1 running Win98 and the other is dual booting RedHat 7.0
> and Win98.  I have a cable modem and *used* to have a Linksys router but
> since it died a few months ago I've been paying for 2 IP addresses from
> Roadrunner.

> I have an old Pentium 75 that I want to setup to share my internet
> connection.  I already have 2 nic's installed in it.

> My question:  should I just install RH 7.0 and use IP masquerading to
> share the connection, or should I download and install one of the Linux
> Router on a diskette packages and use that?

> Thanks for any info/recommendations in advance.

> Jim

1. Linux firewall/router vs netgear

I am learning linux and a friend of mine informed me that i could use linux
box as my firewall/router instead of the netgear router that I want to buy
instead for my SDSL connection.  What are the advantages of this as compared
to the netgear router or actually any other router?  How do the two compare
in the areas of port
mapping/forwarding, filtering, vpn, pppoe, dmz and etc...  Also speed?  I am
looking at the netgear RT314 and from some reviews I've read, it is blazing.
I plan to use a pentium 100 with 64 megs of ram and 2 100 mbps nics.  I am
really stuck at this point because I was all set to buy the router but upon
hearing this, I decided to get a few experienced and informed opinions.  ANY
suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance...

Joe P.

2. Audio Device Files

3. Linux vs. OpenBSD as a dedicated firewall/router

4. : IrCOMM status init fixes

5. Linux Firewall vs. Router NAT & accesslists

6. Difficulties starting xterm from WIN98 to Suse System

7. Linux vs. OpenBSD as a dedicated firewall/router

8. Executor Mac Emulator: what ever happened to it?

9. Linux/Win2K Server As A Router vs. Linksys Router (BEFSR41)

10. linux router Vs Linksys Router

11. Linux router vs Netopia router on DSL

12. Linux vs OS2 vs NT vs Win95 vs Multics vs PDP11 vs BSD geeks

13. traceroute (linux) vs. tracert (XP) vs. Linksys router