Why do my network apps stall ?

Post by Shayne Wrig » Sat, 03 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Hello

        I have setup a mini lan at home with a 486PC a MacSE and a 486
running Linux 2.0.29 (Redhat 4.1). I am stuck on one small point though.
All three machines can see (ping) each other and any other machine that
can be reached via DNS, but I cannot get my client apps to work properly.
All of my telnet, ftp and http clients stall when they reach the intended
server. With all three clients I receive a connected to ***.***.***.***
message, but they hang after that. I never make it to a username/password
prompt.

        Any ideas, or recommended reading ?

Take Care,
Shayne

Why do my network apps stall ?

Post by Tor Slettne » Sat, 03 Jan 1998 04:00:00

    Shayne> Hello I have setup a mini lan at home with a 486PC a MacSE
    Shayne> and a 486 running Linux 2.0.29 (Redhat 4.1). I am stuck on
    Shayne> one small point though.  All three machines can see (ping)
    Shayne> each other and any other machine that can be reached via
    Shayne> DNS, but I cannot get my client apps to work properly.
    Shayne> All of my telnet, ftp and http clients stall when they
    Shayne> reach the intended server. With all three clients I
    Shayne> receive a connected to ***.***.***.*** message, but they
    Shayne> hang after that. I never make it to a username/password
    Shayne> prompt.

This was too vague, too ambigious to receive a useful reply.
Are you trying to telnet between your machines on the LAN, or
from one of these to another server on the Internet?  If you are
telnetting from e.g. your Linux box to your Mac, do you have a
telnet daemon running on your Mac (This is very rare)?
Do you use your Linux box as a gateway?  With masquerade, or not?
Can you telnet from one of these machines to itself?
Ie. if you type 'telnet localhost' from your Linux box, will it
hang then, too?

Some Reading: Check /usr/doc/HOWTO, for among others,
NET-3-HOWTO.gz, Firewall-HOWTO.gz.

-tor

Why do my network apps stall ?

Post by Peter Tees » Sat, 03 Jan 1998 04:00:00

>Hello

>        I have setup a mini lan at home with a 486PC a MacSE and a 486
>running Linux 2.0.29 (Redhat 4.1). I am stuck on one small point though.
>All three machines can see (ping) each other and any other machine that
>can be reached via DNS, but I cannot get my client apps to work properly.
>All of my telnet, ftp and http clients stall when they reach the intended
>server. With all three clients I receive a connected to ***.***.***.***
>message, but they hang after that. I never make it to a username/password
>prompt.

>        Any ideas, or recommended reading ?

>Take Care,
>Shayne

I have a similar setup under RedHat 5.0 (different and more Macs as well
as 2 Pentiums).
In my case inetd.conf is setup to use the tcpd wrappers. So you might want
to look at the inetd.conf file.
Also the setup for Pam may need digging into.
Finally there were some patches, mainly to security issues that apply to remote.

Peter

--
General Consulting & Research Inc.
1106 - 29 Rosebank Drive

"Developing quality software requires a great deal of effort
over a long period of time." Doug Schmidt - C++ Report May 1996

1. DOS based network apps under dosemu

I need to know how to set up dosemu so it can execute a program on a
remote machine running WFW 3.11. The program is a DOS based version
control system (TLIB) for source code.
I would like to check out source code from the WFW 3.11
server to my Linux msdos partition, which I have mounted.
Windows in not required, just the networking.

I have set up my dosemu boot floppy config.sys to load
device=ifshlp.sys
I use lredir to access the msdos part. on my hd.
In the windows dir., I attempt a net start.
I get a message reading "Unable to load hardware driver"
This will work if I just boot of the floppy, but not if I boot dosemu
with the floppy.

The hardware is a ne2000 clone.

Any tips would help.

Thanks in advance.
Jim

2. A challenge: A Linux office?

3. Running networked dos app on linux

4. Caldera Network Desktop 1.0 and Os2 warp

5. Is there an app that can window into a dos box on a network?

6. Too many open files

7. Why oh why does DOS/Windoze work while Linux fails?

8. WTF is libXThr ?

9. Stall-man is Stall-ing

10. Why does my mouse pointer stall?

11. netscape always stalls during download??? why???

12. Why do FTP downloads stall under RH6.2 linux

13. nfs stalls - solved, but why?