Trouble setting up home network

Trouble setting up home network

Post by Jason Loui » Sat, 29 Dec 2001 04:14:32



        I have a P90 with 54mb RAM that I wish to use as a router/firewall
running Redhat 7.1.  I currently have 2 3com (3c509) ISA cards in the
computer.  When the computer boots up the message:

Bringing up interface eth0: Determining IP information for eth0...
Operation failed.
Delaying eth1 initialization.

        After which running ifconfig gives:

Quote:> ifconfig -a

lo      Link encap:Local Loopback
        Inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
        UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
        RX Packets:6 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
        TX Packets:6 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
        collisions:0 txqueuqlen:0

Quote:> ifconfig eth0

eth0    Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:A0:24:XX:XX:XX
        BROADCAST MTU:1500  Metric:1
        RX Packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
        TX Packets:16 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:13
        collisions:0 txqueuqlen:100
        Interupt:10 Base address:0x300

Quote:> ifconfig -a

eth0    Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:A0:24:XX:XX:XX
        BROADCAST MTU:1500  Metric:1
        RX Packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
        TX Packets:16 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:13
        collisions:0 txqueuqlen:100
        Interupt:10 Base address:0x300

lo      Libe encap:Local Loopback
        Inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
        UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
        RX Packets:6 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
        TX Packets:6 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
        collisions:0 txqueuqlen:0

        I can ping 127.0.0.1 but I can't seam to be able to get eth1 working.  
I'm a newbie but I've read the HOWTO on Linux Ethernet and I still can't
figure this out.  Can someone please help?  What am I doing wrong?  I
know a P90 with 54Mb RAM is good enough since I've heard of cases of
386's and 486's being used as routers/firewalls.

Jason

 
 
 

Trouble setting up home network

Post by Karl Heye » Sat, 29 Dec 2001 04:52:45



>    I have a P90 with 54mb RAM that I wish to use as a router/firewall
> running Redhat 7.1.  I currently have 2 3com (3c509) ISA cards in the
> computer.  When the computer boots up the message:

> Bringing up interface eth0: Determining IP information for eth0...
> Operation failed.
> Delaying eth1 initialization.

>    After which running ifconfig gives:

Sounds like two issues.

the first Nic looks to set up requiring a DHCP server, is there one?

the second NIC doesn't look to be detected.  Can you find out the
IRQ/IO values of both cards and make sure they don't conflict or else
that is going to*things up.  The first one looks to be IRQ 10
and IO 0x300.   Check the alias eth... lines and the options
associated with them in /etc/modules.conf

karl.

 
 
 

Trouble setting up home network

Post by Jason Loui » Sat, 29 Dec 2001 05:42:31




> >       I have a P90 with 54mb RAM that I wish to use as a router/firewall
> > running Redhat 7.1.  I currently have 2 3com (3c509) ISA cards in the
> > computer.  When the computer boots up the message:

> > Bringing up interface eth0: Determining IP information for eth0...
> > Operation failed.
> > Delaying eth1 initialization.

> >       After which running ifconfig gives:

> Sounds like two issues.

> the first Nic looks to set up requiring a DHCP server, is there one?

> the second NIC doesn't look to be detected.  Can you find out the
> IRQ/IO values of both cards and make sure they don't conflict or else
> that is going to*things up.  The first one looks to be IRQ 10
> and IO 0x300.   Check the alias eth... lines and the options
> associated with them in /etc/modules.conf

> karl.

        Currently the computer is a stand-alone computer so it is not connected
to any network.  I actually wanted to get the computer to be a dhcp
server first then connect it to my ISP as a router and firewall.

        With resolving the IRQ/IO is this hardware specified or can I define it
in /etc/modules.conf?  If the latter what values would be best?

Jason

 
 
 

Trouble setting up home network

Post by Karl Heye » Sat, 29 Dec 2001 06:13:00



>    Currently the computer is a stand-alone computer so it is not connected
> to any network.  I actually wanted to get the computer to be a dhcp
> server first then connect it to my ISP as a router and firewall.

ok

Quote:

>    With resolving the IRQ/IO is this hardware specified or can I define it
> in /etc/modules.conf?  If the latter what values would be best?

In hardware, check the 3com utilities under windows or from
www.scyld.com for the current settings. Some 509's can do PnP type
allocations but It's best to set them to specific values, don't leave
it to some black magic.

Once set you can supply the values to the driver.  tpyically if the
cards are at irq 10, 11  then

options 3c509 irq=10,11 nopnp=1

The nopnp is optional at build time so it may not be available in the
the module you have on your system.

karl.