PPP seems to connect, but nslookup, netstat -r hang

PPP seems to connect, but nslookup, netstat -r hang

Post by David Thompso » Tue, 09 Jul 1996 04:00:00

I am running Linux 2.0 with PPP 2.2.0f. I have an ISP who
uses iijppp (on FreeBSD) to supply dynamic IP addresses. I have
managed to get chat to dial up and pppd to connect and receive my
new IP address, but the ip-up script never finishes running. When
I do a ps -ax, I can see that the nslookup call to find the new
hostname for the IP address never completes. Running ifconfig shows
that ppp0 is up and running, but "netstat -r" just hangs, as does
any nslookup. I cannot even ping the machine at the other end of
the line (whose IP address I get from /var/log/messages).

        I have checked and I _am_ using the defaultroute option
with pppd. I can even do a "more /proc/net/route" and see a routing
table with the ppp0 interface (which is odd since running /sbin/route
hangs), but nothing seems to work! Does anyone know what this problem
is?

                Thanks in advance,
                David Thompson

1. Red Hat 5.2 PPP connects but doesn't route (netstat hangs)

When activated, the (28.8) modem dials out and makes a connection. I can see
the ppp0 device in ifconfig, and I can ping the address assigned by the ISP.
The assigned address looks good (the first two octets match the ISP).
No default route exists, before or after the connection, even though the
config says to set default on the ppp connect. netstat -r hangs. I tried
setting the default route manually, but nothing changes even though the
route command doesn't return an error.

My goal is to do dial-on-demand and masq, but first I need to get a
connection.
Any ideas? Anybody seen a good doc for this for 5.2?

Thank you,

Ed

http://www.primenet.com/~rshmnw

2. Trimming logs/records without loosing data

3. No default entry in netstat when connected ppp

4. Simple file system

5. Local network telnet sessin hangs when connected through ppp to internet

6. Newbie Q: Groups/Permissions/Httpd - SLIGHT RUSH!!!

7. PPP connects ok but FTP is SLOW, Telnet hangs.

8. Chinon 3401 Install woes

9. trumpet ppp connects but then hangs

10. Debian 1.3 PPP hangs up after connecting

11. sendmail hangs when PPP not connected (dynamic IP problem?)

12. PPP connects and after several seconds it hangs up

13. RH6.1 hangs when I logoff if I am connected via PPP