Please help newbie!

Post by Liquid Ma » Wed, 02 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Hello,

I just installed Red Hat 4.1 and I want to access my ISP via PPP through
X-Windows.
I have downloaded and successfully installed Netscape 3.0 from a Windoze
95 browser
then copied and installed in Linux.  I have had previous experience with
Slackware, but
I could not get the automated scripts to work.  I used Minicom to
manually logon.  For
some reason, that doesn't even work now!  Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Sincerely,

Craig Myers

Please help newbie!

Post by James Youngma » Thu, 03 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> I just installed Red Hat 4.1 and I want to access my ISP via PPP
> through X-Windows.  I have downloaded and successfully installed
> Netscape 3.0 from a Windoze 95 browser then copied and installed in
> Linux.  I have had previous experience with Slackware, but I could
> not get the automated scripts to work.  I used Minicom to manually
> logon.  For some reason, that doesn't even work now!  Any help would
> be greatly appreciated.

Follow the directions in the Red Hat PPP-Tips on Red Hat's web site.

Please help newbie!

Post by Kalevi Hautanie » Thu, 03 Jul 1997 04:00:00

: Hello,

: I just installed Red Hat 4.1 and I want to access my ISP via PPP through
: X-Windows.
: I have downloaded and successfully installed Netscape 3.0 from a Windoze
: 95 browser
: then copied and installed in Linux.  I have had previous experience with
: Slackware, but
: I could not get the automated scripts to work.  I used Minicom to
: manually logon.  For
: some reason, that doesn't even work now!  Any help would be greatly
: appreciated.

In other words, your modem does not work in Linux at all?

If that's true, if it is not so called winmodem, it is probably some
kind of plug-and-pray. Only way I know to get these things to work is
to get isapnptools -package from nearest ftp -server and install and
configure your modem with it.

If your modem is of type winmodem it has no use in Linux whatsoever.

--
Kalevi J Hautaniemi,      Marjatankatu 12,     33730 Tampere,  FINLAND.
******  http://www.sci.fi/~khmi/  *******  On air:  OH3FG, KO4BC ******

Please help newbie!

Post by Roberto Di » Sat, 05 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Hello,

>I just installed Red Hat 4.1 and I want to access my ISP via PPP through
>X-Windows.
>I have downloaded and successfully installed Netscape 3.0 from a Windoze
>95 browser
>then copied and installed in Linux.  I have had previous experience with
>Slackware, but
>I could not get the automated scripts to work.  I used Minicom to
>manually logon.  For
>some reason, that doesn't even work now!  Any help would be greatly
>appreciated.

You have to use pppd in order to achieve a ppp connection, otherwise
you can use dip, take a look in /usr/docs, there you could find help.

Regards

Roberto Daz

1. PLEASE HELP NEWBIE HAVING SERIOUS TROUBLE

I just tryed to install FreeBSD adn had an aborted attempt and have
decided to wait a while but...I keep getting the boot menu...Please
could someone please tell me how to get rid of the boot menu...

Thank you,

PS please reply to email as well

2. Problem with Xaw3d libs

3. Please Help Newbie Install

4. Slow ftp server.

5. ppp / modems! Please help newbie!

6. home network

7. Primary controller or primary disk? please help newbie

8. NFS, print redirection ???

9. Please help newbie with Redhat 5 routing trouble

10. please help newbie with login problem

11. Please help newbie with basics

12. Please help - newbie trying to lock his box.

13. booting problems with RH5.0 - please help newbie