iproute2 and pseudo network interfaces

Post by Erik-Jan Roggekam » Wed, 02 Apr 2003 22:38:38

Hello,

Can somebody plesae help me. The next situation is the case:

I've a linux server with one ethernet card but more pseudo network
interfaces (eth0:0 eth0:1 etc) and all with an other IP number to be
able to route between different segments

Now I have migrate my system to RH80 and I have start using IPROUTE2
to make it possible to have some balacing to some internet access
point in the different segments.

IPROUTE will not reconice the pseudo port and therefore it is not
possible anymore to have connection between the different segments,
using the server as a router.

Does somebody knows a solution?

Erik-Jan

Post by Seth H Holme » Thu, 03 Apr 2003 03:49:46

> Hello,

> Can somebody plesae help me. The next situation is the case:

> I've a linux server with one ethernet card but more pseudo network
> interfaces (eth0:0 eth0:1 etc) and all with an other IP number to be
> able to route between different segments

> Now I have migrate my system to RH80 and I have start using IPROUTE2
> to make it possible to have some balacing to some internet access
> point in the different segments.

> IPROUTE will not reconice the pseudo port and therefore it is not
> possible anymore to have connection between the different segments,
> using the server as a router.

> Does somebody knows a solution?

It is possible when you upgraded your system to RH8 that the new kernel
does not have support for interface aliasing.

--
Seth H Holmes

iproute2 and pseudo network interfaces

Post by Erik-Jan Roggekam » Thu, 03 Apr 2003 17:28:58

On 1 Apr 2003 18:49:46 GMT, Seth H Holmes

>> Hello,

>> Can somebody plesae help me. The next situation is the case:

>> I've a linux server with one ethernet card but more pseudo network
>> interfaces (eth0:0 eth0:1 etc) and all with an other IP number to be
>> able to route between different segments

>> Now I have migrate my system to RH80 and I have start using IPROUTE2
>> to make it possible to have some balacing to some internet access
>> point in the different segments.

>> IPROUTE will not reconice the pseudo port and therefore it is not
>> possible anymore to have connection between the different segments,
>> using the server as a router.

>> Does somebody knows a solution?

>It is possible when you upgraded your system to RH8 that the new kernel
>does not have support for interface aliasing.

As far as I foud out it was still working after the update until the
configuration of IPROUTE2. But is there a way to found out if it is a
kernel problem and if it is a kernel problem,do you know how can this
be fixed??

Erik-jan