Can PING but can't TELNET

Post by John Ridl » Mon, 23 Oct 1995 04:00:00

OK, never mind.  Got the problem solved, thanks to an email response.  Had
CSLIP specified in the script, and my provider is only SLIP.

1. Canned "ping"

    Within a ksh script, I would like to first determine whether or not
a remote
host is alive before I attempt other network access to it, (file reads
or writes).
The ping command seems to be the logical solution, but if I have to wait
for
the ping command to fail due to network time-out to indicate that the
remote
host is not available I've gained nothing over just letting my other
network
access commands time-out.

    Is there a way to execute ping wrapped in a timer - such as in a
subprocess
that gets killed by it's parent if it doesn't end within a practical
time interval?
It seems to me that that should work, but what I'm really looking for is

someone who would share code that has already been written.

    Much appreciated.

2. SCSI problem

3. It's not bad canned meat...

4. upgrading HD, IDE CD, then installing linux goes awry: HALP!

5. Ultra10 and IDE disks

6. Canned Proxy URLs to Filter

7. Defragmenting a filesystem

8. CGI: apache canned response

9. For those of you tired of canned distributions...

10. Any Canned Class code?

11. PPPD or Tin Cans: Which is Better?

12. 'ping' sees route but 'telnet' doesn't??