can I setup linux as a router to DSL and cable?

can I setup linux as a router to DSL and cable?

Post by jtnew » Sun, 19 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

I'm eagerly awaiting Optimum Online to arrive in Northern NJ.
Right now, I currently have Verizon DSL.  Can I setup linux to act
as a router so that if either my Cable or DSL connection goes down,
the other service is used?

Do I need two NICs to do this?

can I setup linux as a router to DSL and cable?

Post by Ron Bookma » Sun, 19 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Absolutely!  That's how I'm connected right now. Yes, two network cards are
required.

Check out the HOWTOS at www.linuxdoc.org .  You'll be interested in the ones
on networking, IP Masquerade, and the Kernel.  Use them as a starting point
on how to go about doing this, and then use the newsgroups for any further
clarifications/explanations/tips/pointers you need, as nobody wants to type
out all the instructions that already exist in the HOWTOS.

Hope this helps!
Ron

Quote:> Hi,