very weird NIS problem/delayed login

Post by Tobias Frec » Fri, 22 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Hi!
We are using RedHat 5.2 on SPARC with glibc-2.0.7-29.
And we are using NIS. Our NIS-Server is not in the same subnet but it
is entered in /etc/hosts.
When ypbind is started authentification via NIS is done
correctly but it takes more than 60 seconds to login (telnet-timeout !).
Even when I am logged in as root and do a
"su localaccount"
is takes more than 60 seconds. When switching off ypbind the
problem disappears. But we need NIS for user authentification.
Tcpdump showed, that there are about 100 request to the
NIS-Server when "su localaccount" is executed.
When doing
"strace su localaccount"
it only takes about 10 seconds (this is the time
it takes to display the output of strace) and then succeeds.
Tcpdump then shows less requests to the NIS-server.
With a little trick I managed to let "strace su" behave like "strace".
So I could see that the function that takes about 5 seconds several
times is called "_newselect".
Anybody any idea ?
Please tell me which dumps/logs you need!

Ciao, TobiF

very weird NIS problem/delayed login

Post by Tobias Frec » Mon, 25 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Hi again!
Just for anyone interested ...
We didn't find what exactly the problem was. Perhaps a timing problem
because the NIS-server is in another subnet. It looks like a gateway
seems to be trouble for NIS.

Our "solution": We set up a own NIS-slave-server on our machine. Was
quite easy to do. Up to now everything works fine. Hope this lasts..

Ciao, TobiF

> Hi!
> We are using RedHat 5.2 on SPARC with glibc-2.0.7-29.
> And we are using NIS. Our NIS-Server is not in the same subnet but it
> is entered in /etc/hosts.
> When ypbind is started authentification via NIS is done
> correctly but it takes more than 60 seconds to login (telnet-timeout !).
> Even when I am logged in as root and do a
> "su localaccount"
> is takes more than 60 seconds. When switching off ypbind the
> problem disappears. But we need NIS for user authentification.
> Tcpdump showed, that there are about 100 request to the
> NIS-Server when "su localaccount" is executed.
> When doing
> "strace su localaccount"
> it only takes about 10 seconds (this is the time
> it takes to display the output of strace) and then succeeds.
> Tcpdump then shows less requests to the NIS-server.
> With a little trick I managed to let "strace su" behave like "strace".
> So I could see that the function that takes about 5 seconds several
> times is called "_newselect".
> Anybody any idea ?
> Please tell me which dumps/logs you need!

> Ciao, TobiF

1. NIS timeouts/ login delay solved

Hi,

For those of you who were like me and experiencing RPC timeout messages and
a long delay on login or su...

Change your passwd, shadow, and group files to "compat" from:
passwd:     files nisplus nis
shadow:     files nisplus nis
group:      files nisplus nis

to:
passwd: compat
shadow: compat
group compat

This will solve the issue for you.

Andrew

2. interesting problem

3. ~5 second login delay w/NIS

4. Problems with Netscape Communicator on Redhat Linux

5. NIS, NFS and delay problems when primary server is down

6. Help!, Programming a GIS.

7. HELP: Weird Problem with NIS+

8. Network monitoring tools

9. Weird Netscape Mail + NIS problem in RH5.0

10. Weird NIS problem

11. Weird NIS problems

12. Weird NIS automount problem