host to nameserver datafile conversion program wanted

host to nameserver datafile conversion program wanted

Post by Gareth Blad » Tue, 13 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Does anyone know where I can get hold of a program which will convert
a Unix hosts file into a normal and reverse lookup data file for a
bind nameserver?

I have managed to find an LSM entry for a suitable program called
hostcvt with an archive name hostcvt-bin.tar.Z.
It is supposed to be in:-
sunsite:/pub/Linux/system/Network/named
tsx-11:/pub/linux/packages/tcpip
Neither of these directories exist.

Does anyone know where to get this program or already have a copy?

Thanks
Gareth

               http://www.tcp.co.uk/~blades/

host to nameserver datafile conversion program wanted

Post by Stephen Baxt » Thu, 03 Oct 1996 04:00:00

try the hton perl program done by the bloke who wrote the OReily book
on DNS(recommended) :

It is some where on ftp://ftp.ora.com

>Does anyone know where I can get hold of a program which will convert
>a Unix hosts file into a normal and reverse lookup data file for a
>bind nameserver?
>I have managed to find an LSM entry for a suitable program called
>hostcvt with an archive name hostcvt-bin.tar.Z.
>It is supposed to be in:-
>sunsite:/pub/Linux/system/Network/named
>tsx-11:/pub/linux/packages/tcpip
>Neither of these directories exist.
>Does anyone know where to get this program or already have a copy?
>Thanks
>Gareth
>--

>               http://www.tcp.co.uk/~blades/

Stephen Baxter

SE Network Access Pty Ltd

1. /etc/hosts based nameserver wanted

I have a local network (using a subset of the 'ok' ip numbers).  I want
to be able to use sendmail to exchange mail between machines but not
the rest of the world (my interface is a shell  account).  Since
sendmail  needs  dns, is there a program that reads /etc/hosts, and then
responds to dns requests with either 'unknown' or  with answers from
/etc/hosts if there is one?

2. Increase number of allows FS mounts?

3. WANTED: Program to recursively ping hosts.

4. termcap entry for aixterm

5. 'host' program source wanted

6. How do you set up Xfree86 for Fixed Frequency Monitors

7. WANTED: Quake hosting help wanted...

8. S.u.S.E. Distribution

9. Wanted: Sendmail Rule set for CSO nameserver

10. free accesslog2html cgibin program: page-by-page + host-by-host analysis

11. free access_log analysis program: page-by-page, host-by-host, domain-by-domain

12. Help wanted (nameserver in rezolv.conf, serial multiport)

13. Sendmail wants a nameserver??!!