Connecting to btignition with isdn4linux

Connecting to btignition with isdn4linux

Post by Colum Page » Thu, 16 May 2002 19:58:35

Anyone got any ideas as to how to connect to a btignition terminal adaptor
(which is a re-badged motorolla bitsurfer) with isdn4linux. I'm trying to
dial up the ignition with an eicon DIVA ISDN card that uses isdn4linux
drivers. The TA only supports 'clear channel', v120 and 'ppp'. The DIVA card
supports HDLC, X75 and 'Transparent'. I should further add hear that I'm
using the "ttyI" interface of isdn4linux. I've tried 'clear channel' and
setting Layer-2 on isdn4 linux to be 'Transparent', this connects but
results in lots of garbage (and it doesn't look like ppp). I'm unclear about
what the TA means by 'ppp', as if the TA handles this, then what would a
pppd on the other side of the terminal adaptor see?

I've had a lot of tries, but can't find any combinartion that works.

Post by Clifford Kit » Fri, 17 May 2002 23:54:25

> Anyone got any ideas as to how to connect to a btignition terminal adaptor
> (which is a re-badged motorolla bitsurfer) with isdn4linux. I'm trying to
> dial up the ignition with an eicon DIVA ISDN card that uses isdn4linux
> drivers. The TA only supports 'clear channel', v120 and 'ppp'. The DIVA card
> supports HDLC, X75 and 'Transparent'. I should further add hear that I'm
> using the "ttyI" interface of isdn4linux. I've tried 'clear channel' and
> setting Layer-2 on isdn4 linux to be 'Transparent', this connects but
> results in lots of garbage (and it doesn't look like ppp). I'm unclear about
> what the TA means by 'ppp', as if the TA handles this, then what would a
> pppd on the other side of the terminal adaptor see?
> I've had a lot of tries, but can't find any combinartion that works.

A guess, and it *is* a guess, is PPP for the TA and HDLC for the
DIVA card.  That assumes that PPP and HDLC both mean synchronous PPP.
It's also possible that the card and TA have no common ISDN protocol.
I would expect TAs to favor V.120 but the card doesn't seem to have
that.  I don't know how the TA would handle the difference in transfer
rates for synchronous PPP on one side and asynchronous on the other
(the host side).

I really don't have the background for answering but maybe an answer
with a guess is better than no answer (and maybe not :/).

--

PPP-Q&A links, downloads:    http://users3.ev1.net/~ckite/public_html/
/* The signal-to-noise ratio is too low in many [news] groups to make

1. ISDN4Linux can't connect syncppp to 0645505405 (UK ISP NTL)

I am trying to setup a Linux system to connect to NTL Internet in the UK. I
can connect OK to all of their regional pops but not to their 0645 Mercury
pop. The ISDN appears to connect OK and the LCP layer begins attempting to
negotiate but never gets a reply.

If I change the phone number to one of the regional pops all is well.
Unfortunately I need to connect to the 0645 number to get the SMTP email as
it is not available from the other pops.

I have tried the lattest snapshot of the isdn4linux drivers for my Teles
16.3 ISA card of the kernel drivers on 2.033, but still no joy. Also 2.1.96
isdn drivers are the same

I would be very grateful if someone has any ideas on how this can be
resolved or if someone can get their isdn4linux to connect to this number
and at least get as far as attempting to authenticate.

Regards

Steve Ball

2. do_syslog/__down_trylock lockup in current BK

3. Isdn4linux 128K Perm Cnxn

4. HOWTO: Down for maintenance

5. ISDN4Linux and Ethernet?

6. HP network printer and LP print Service local printing

7. isdn4linux -> Cisco 3620

8. rsh from NT

9. Help : error compiling isdn4linux

10. isdn4linux problem: "Device or ressource busy"

11. 2XTeles in ISDN4Linux ? Probs...

12. Anyone care to translate isdn4linux-FAQ ?

13. isdn4linux - modules ?