Printing to a networked non-ps printer?

Post by Lars Jense » Fri, 03 Mar 2000 04:00:00

 Does anyone know how to set up a remote non-ps printer. The specific
printer we have is a laserjet 5 and it has a permanent IP address. I
have succeeded in connecting to the printer, but the output I get is
basically the raw postscript file. I guess I need some filter to send
the file through. How do I set this up?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Lars.

--
Lars Jensen
Truckee Meadows Community College

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Printing to a networked non-ps printer?

Post by Andrey Smirno » Fri, 03 Mar 2000 04:00:00

http://www.linux.com/howto/Printing-HOWTO.html

Quote:> Does anyone know how to set up a remote non-ps printer. The specific

Post by Philipp Maie » Fri, 03 Mar 2000 04:00:00

>  Does anyone know how to set up a remote non-ps printer. The specific

I've written a short piece about printing to a remote printer under SuSE
Linux 6.1. Perhaps that helps? You'll find it on my homepage in the
Linux->Printing section.

PM
--

Sylt, SuSE Linux, Maerklin mini-club, Psion Serie 5mx Pro & GPS:

http://www.philipp-maier.de

Printing to a networked non-ps printer?

Post by Rob van der Putte » Fri, 03 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Hi there

>  Does anyone know how to set up a remote non-ps printer. The specific
> printer we have is a laserjet 5 and it has a permanent IP address. I
> have succeeded in connecting to the printer, but the output I get is
> basically the raw postscript file. I guess I need some filter to send
> the file through. How do I set this up?

There are several way to do this.
You can install the `postscript filter' (a program which converts
postscript into something your printer undestands) local and then print
to a remote PCL queue, or install the filter remote and then print to a
remote PS queue.

For instance, I have a Lexmark which has been configured to emulate a
HP Laserjet II

The local printcap sending PS to the remote host;

lj-ps|Ps to remote filter:\
        :rm=sput.sput.ldn:\
        :rp=lj:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lj-ps:\
        :lp=/dev/null:\
        :mx#0:\
        :sh:

The remote printcap entry for PS to PCL filter;

lp|lj|Lexmark PS in PCL mode:\
        :lp=/dev/null:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lj:\
        :if=/etc/filter.ps:\
        :mx#0:\
        :sh:

The filter itself;

#!/bin/bash
# HP Laserjet series II printer device
/usr/bin/gs -q -dSAFER -sDEVICE=laserjet -dNOPAUSE -sOutputFile=- - | \
        /usr/bin/lpr -Plj-raw

The raw PCL queue;

lj-raw|Raw data in PCL mode:\
        :lp=/dev/lp1:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lj-raw:\
        :mx#0:\
        :sh:

Regards,
Rob

|            http://www.sput.signature.nl/spam-policy.html             |

1. How do I print PS with non-PS printer ?

        Hi everybody...

        Here's my problem : I bought an Epson Stylus 820 and I don't know
how to convince it to print Postscript in Linux ....

        Here's what I did:
I compiled a new kernel with printer support. Finally lpr works ( it didn't
at first because it needed some directories ) , but all I get is plain ascii.

        Do I need to edit /etc/printcap for this? I mean lpr can be
instructed to print Postscript on non-Postscript printers?

                Please help me ....

                                                        Dan

2. Filtering DoubleClick

3. How to print PS file in a non-PS printer?

4. Help w/ csh script

5. How to print a ps file to a non-ps printer thru gs241?

6. Problems with zaapa TV card

7. Postscript printing with non-PS printer

8. Fax G.3 with ISDN-Adapter

9. netatalk:printing to non-PS printer on Mac from Linux

10. Printing using a non-PS printer (Canon BJC-240se)

11. Print-filter for non-PS printers

12. Netscape printing on non-PS printer

13. Printing to a non-PS printer