Dial-in PPP

Post by Mike Walke » Sun, 14 Oct 2001 09:49:11

I want to set up a linux box for dialing in (Suse 7.1).  I have got as far
as being able to set up mgetty to activate the modem and I get a login
prompt from the linux box but after that the process fails and I get a
'serial loopback' situation whereby the modem on the local end hangs up.

Looking at the logs on my Mac (OS X), PAP never actually happens like it
does when I dial in to my ISP, so what is the login prompt if not PAP.  The
other thing I am a little vague on is the ip thing and how I assign them
properly, add routing table entries etc, etc.

All ideas and comments greatly appreciated.

I have scanned the HOW-TO's - bbut they always seem to leave you dangling by
a thread!

Dial-in PPP

Post by David Efflan » Sun, 14 Oct 2001 22:04:45

> I want to set up a linux box for dialing in (Suse 7.1).  I have got as far
> as being able to set up mgetty to activate the modem and I get a login
> prompt from the linux box but after that the process fails and I get a
> 'serial loopback' situation whereby the modem on the local end hangs up.

Make sure that any and all programs that use that modem use the same
/dev/ttyS# and NOT a symlink like /dev/modem, otherwise lockfiles will not
work properly.  I forget what causes the serial loopback situation, but in
one case long ago it helped to uninstall uucp (which I never used anyway).
Is anything else using your modem (fax program, dial on demand)?

Quote:> Looking at the logs on my Mac (OS X), PAP never actually happens like it
> does when I dial in to my ISP, so what is the login prompt if not PAP.  The
> other thing I am a little vague on is the ip thing and how I assign them
> properly, add routing table entries etc, etc.

The login prompt is exactly what it looks like, a shell login prompt
(remote minicom or HyperTerminal).  PAP is only used if connecting with
ppp and properly configured.  mgetty can be set up to do either
automatically.  If it sees ppp negotiation it does that, and if not, it
offers a login prompt.

I have not done a dialup lately, but some info I have may be of use:
http://www.de-srv.com/linux/dialin.txt

--
David Efflandt - All spam is ignored - http://www.de-srv.com/

Dial-in PPP

Post by Clifford Kit » Sun, 14 Oct 2001 23:07:53

> I want to set up a linux box for dialing in (Suse 7.1).  I have got
> as far as being able to set up mgetty to activate the modem and I
> get a login prompt from the linux box but after that the process
> fails and I get a 'serial loopback' situation whereby the modem on
> the local end hangs up.

The mgetty AutoPPP must be compiled into mgetty by activating that in
the Makefile.  Maybe a binary that comes with a distribution already
has that though.

The loopback usually means that the peer is displaying a prompt or
menu rather than starting PPP immediately.  This is often caused by
the dialing script sending a carriage return by ending with something
like `CONNECT ""' rather than `CONNECT \c' which doesn't sent the
carriage return (answer-chat in mgetty.config).

--

/* No matter what other nations may say about the United States,
   immigration is still the sincerest form of flattery. */

Dial-in PPP

Post by James Knot » Mon, 15 Oct 2001 08:06:15

> I want to set up a linux box for dialing in (Suse 7.1).  I have got as
> far as being able to set up mgetty to activate the modem and I get a
> login prompt from the linux box but after that the process fails and I
> get a 'serial loopback' situation whereby the modem on the local end
> hangs up.

> Looking at the logs on my Mac (OS X), PAP never actually happens like
> it
> does when I dial in to my ISP, so what is the login prompt if not PAP.
>  The other thing I am a little vague on is the ip thing and how I
> assign them properly, add routing table entries etc, etc.

> All ideas and comments greatly appreciated.

> I have scanned the HOW-TO's - bbut they always seem to leave you
> dangling by a thread!

Did you check the Red Hat mini ISP HOWTO?  While not SuSe, it may give
you some ideas.

--

james.knott.

1. PPP dial-ins refused, OSR-5 with net100

We're having problems at several client sites running OSR-5 with the
rs500d and net100 patches applied.  PPP is better than it was, but
there are still problems where dial-in PPP connections will work fine
for a while, then will fail to start (usually around 10pm when I'm not
near a system to be able to check anything :-).

I have the system configured so that users logging in through a serial
port are presented with a prompt asking whether they want to start
PPP.  If they want PPP it sets the HOME environment variable and execs
/usr/lib/ppp:
    HOME=/usr/lib/ppp; export HOME
    exec /usr/lib/ppp/ppp

These all are using dynamic IP assignment with entries in the
/etc/ppphosts of the form:
*bill remote=+pool1 flow=rtscts proxy idle=60

Before I installed the net100 patches, this same behaviour would occur
(PPP works for a while then stops), with syslog entries saying the it
couldn't find pool entries once it started failing.  These messages
aren't appearing any more, and I'm still trying to isolate the
problem.

Has anybody else experienced things like this?

These machines are directly connected to the Internet via high speed
lines, CSU/DSU, and routers so there's no need for outgoing PPP, only
dial-in.  Is there any reason to have a pppd running all the time in
this case or can I comment out the startup on /etc/tcp?  The only
thing this process seems to do is generate lots of messages in the
/usr/adm/syslog file of the form:
    Jan  8 08:11:35 tally pppd[282]: can't get passwd for local host
    Jan  8 08:11:35 tally pppd[282]: getppphostent: no local host ID

Bill
--

UUCP:              camco!bill   2835 82nd Avenue S.E. S-100
FAX:           (206) 232-9186   Mercer Island, WA 98040; (206) 947-5591

2. Quota patches for 2.5 -11

3. concurrent ppp dial-ins

4. sched_setscheduler: nice parameters

5. IP Accounting doesn't work for PPP dial-ins :-(( ??

6. Bad Socket:Invalid Argument (22)

7. Can a solaris w/s be configured for PPP dial-out AND PPP dial-in?

8. Test.. ( Do not Read)

9. Problems with dialing out when dial-ins are enabled

10. Help: Linux ppp to a NETCOM dial-in ppp

11. PPP dial-in client Cannot see past PPP Server

12. PPP: Win95 PPP Dial-in Kills my Sun

13. Linux ppp and Netcom dial-in ppp