NSLOOKUP: Non-Authoratative Answer

Post by bmurd.. » Wed, 12 Mar 1997 04:00:00

I have a local named server running.  Requests are filled as usual.
However, when doing a hostname lookup on the local network, the answer
is non-authoratative.  When doing a number to hostname lookup, all
answers are authoratative.  I'm running a forwarder to my ISP for all
non-local requests.  This works fine.  My question is this:  Why are
_local_ requests non authoratative?  What is wrong in my config?

I have just noticed this error recently, and believe it may be
responsible for other problems I am having.

Thank you,

Matt Murdock

Post by Vincent Mart » Thu, 13 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> I have a local named server running.  Requests are filled as usual.
> However, when doing a hostname lookup on the local network, the answer
> is non-authoratative.  When doing a number to hostname lookup, all
> answers are authoratative.  I'm running a forwarder to my ISP for all
> non-local requests.  This works fine.  My question is this:  Why are
> _local_ requests non authoratative?  What is wrong in my config?

You probably have syntaxically wrong named.* files.
The problems is probably logged in your /var/log/messages during boot
sequence.
Could you mail me your /etc/named.boot and /var/named/named.* files ?

Vincent

1. PLEASE HELP: PING, DNS AND NSLOOKUP - NSLOOKUP GOOD PING BAD

The DNS is configured on a server that is standalone.  I am running
Solaris 2.5 and have tried DNS 4.93 (BETA, REL) 4.94P1.

When I perform a NSLOOKUP on a domain, i.e nslookup www.xxx.com the
correct information is returned.  When I try and ping www.xxx.com
I receive an unknown host error.  This is true for all of the

A type records.  The local server has an entry in the root.cache file.
The name server complains.  The identical DNS works fine on a node
connected to the internet.

        Can any one possibly point out the error in my ways?

Thanks in advance.

2. execl HELP needed!

3. RH50 nslookup IP doesn't match ISP nslookup ip??!?

4. specialix SI with SCO ODT 3.0 and 57600-spe

5. patchadd fails on non-global non-sparse non-running zones

6. Newbie Question:How to schedule without access to Cron

7. Non-authoritative DNS answers

8. Kernel oops message - Need some help pin-pointing the cause

9. Non-authoritative answer

10. Name server always gives non-authoritative answer

11. Linux 5.1 DNS returns non-authoritive answers

12. non-authoritative answer

13. a non-executable program? answer...