NFS between Solaris and Linux

Post by Paul Hughet » Wed, 28 Mar 2001 02:00:40

We have a mixed collection of Solaris 7 and RH Linux 6.2 systems here
which make heavy use of NFS to read and write files hosted on a
Solaris system.  NFS performance between Solaris and Linux is
miserable compared to performance between like systems.

Does the new 2.4 kernel do any better in this regard?  Or is there
some other new software we should be using instead?

Paul Hughett

Post by Michael Heimin » Wed, 28 Mar 2001 02:08:50

> We have a mixed collection of Solaris 7 and RH Linux 6.2 systems here
> which make heavy use of NFS to read and write files hosted on a
> Solaris system.  NFS performance between Solaris and Linux is
> miserable compared to performance between like systems.

> Does the new 2.4 kernel do any better in this regard?  Or is there
> some other new software we should be using instead?

Perhaps, you forgot to check man nfs on your Linux box and set rsize/wsize,
to improve performance in your fstab?

Michael

NFS between Solaris and Linux

Post by Steve Wolf » Wed, 28 Mar 2001 08:41:16

Quote:> We have a mixed collection of Solaris 7 and RH Linux 6.2 systems here
> which make heavy use of NFS to read and write files hosted on a
> Solaris system.  NFS performance between Solaris and Linux is
> miserable compared to performance between like systems.

> Does the new 2.4 kernel do any better in this regard?  Or is there
> some other new software we should be using instead?

 I'd suggest going to www.sourceforge.net, and searching the NFS mailing
list.  Linux -> Solaris interoperability comes up fairly often, but I
haven't paid a terrible amount of attention to it.

steve

Post by Karl Heye » Fri, 30 Mar 2001 08:21:48

> We have a mixed collection of Solaris 7 and RH Linux 6.2 systems here which
> make heavy use of NFS to read and write files hosted on a Solaris system.
> NFS performance between Solaris and Linux is miserable compared to
> performance between like systems.  Does the new 2.4 kernel do any better in
> this regard?  Or is there some other new software we should be using
> instead?  Paul Hughett

look at nfs.sourceforge.net for info.  NFS has always been behind on linux
but the latest releases seem to be quite nice now.  The speed difference
could be due to the rsize wsize parameters defaulting to different values on
both boxes,  Linux assumes something like 1024 where as solaris defaults to
8192 meaing the linux box has to do eight times the work.

karl.