PPP slow download but upload is ok.

Post by Peter Teube » Sat, 19 Jul 1997 04:00:00

I've tried irqtune and played  a bit with the PPP/chat
asyncmap, but my PPP download speed is erratic and I'm
loosing packets. The upload is near perfect, 2.5-3 k/sec,
but the download sucks. 0.5 - 1 k/sec most of the time if
I ftp a file.

I've seen this being reported here before, but couldn't
find anything in dejanews.

Hint please?

        peter

PPP slow download but upload is ok.

Post by Chris O » Thu, 24 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>I've tried irqtune and played  a bit with the PPP/chat
>asyncmap, but my PPP download speed is erratic and I'm
>loosing packets. The upload is near perfect, 2.5-3 k/sec,
>but the download sucks. 0.5 - 1 k/sec most of the time if
>I ftp a file.

Is your system a 386/40 or better with high-speed serial ports? If not,
that's your problem. High-speed (or better yet, intelligent) serial ports
are absolutely required for good sustained throughput with PPP at baud
rates above 19200, or so.

Incidently, I'm testing a machine here that's a 386/25 with low-speed
serial ports. My results are *identical* to yours.

Chris
--
Chris Ott               Are you children clinging tenaciously to my buttocks?

1. help: slow modem upload speed; download ok

I have a Hayes Accura v90 modem. While download speed is ok (5-6k per
second)
I am unable to upload large files or send large (greater than 30k or so)
mail
messages. I think the problem lies in Linux networking (rather than
begin application-specific, or in hardware), because:

(1) Sending mail is slow and often stalls. This happens in both KMail and
Netscape, so I don't think it's the mail software.
(2) I cannot upload my web pages to my ISP in Linux (again it stalls). As
ftp
is also affected, again I doubt that the problem is application-specific.
(3) In MSWindows I am able to send large mail messages and upload files to
my
ISP (with reasonable speed).

Can someone please point me in the right direction in tracking this problem
down i.e. where to look and what to look for ? I know how to enable kernel
ppp
debugging (written to syslog) but I don't know how to interpret the output.

Alistair.

2. Building eepro100.c into the kernel.

3. VERY slow FTP uploads, downloads are fine --ppp or ftp setup problem?

4. looking for FreeBSD tutorial/guide

5. am looking for a program which allows the holders to upload and download ie5 or others

6. TACACS+ with NIS+

7. ppp download works great, ppp upload slowwwww

8. How to burn on PC using the new image file?

9. PPP slow. Browsing slow but download fast

10. PPP Slow. Browsing slow but download fast.

11. Samba slow on upload, fast on download. why?

12. slow download, fast upload

13. FTP slow download fast upload Red-Hat 6.1