Kernel does not detect UDP/ICMP packets

Post by Charlotte Fedan » Sun, 16 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Hello All,

I am using the latest and greatest of kernel and ppp drivers (actually
tried everthing from 1.2.14 to present).

I can make TCP connection on my ppp link; however, no UDP or ICMP.
I turned on full kernel debug on pppd and it will show me outgoing
packets only when I generate UDP/ICMP traffic. I know something is
coming back since I see the lights on my modem blink. TCP traffic is
handled fine.

I have read every FAQ and tried every combination of kernel and
ppp drivers I can think of. Please don't tell me I have to use
Windows 95 :-(

Rohit

Post by Charlotte Fedan » Tue, 18 Jun 1996 04:00:00

> >I can make TCP connection on my ppp link; however, no UDP or ICMP.
> >I turned on full kernel debug on pppd and it will show me outgoing
> >packets only when I generate UDP/ICMP traffic. I know something is
> >coming back since I see the lights on my modem blink. TCP traffic is
> >handled fine.

>     Can you use ICMP and UDP through the loopback device (i.e., can you
> "ping 127.0.0.1" and "traceroute -n 127.0.0.1"?

Yes and yes. I can even ping the IP at ppp0.
traceroute to anything else does not work (default route is
correct).
What I don't understand is that TCP works. I can telnet to
a IP address but can't traceroute to it !

-R

Kernel does not detect UDP/ICMP packets

Post by Michel Vanak » Tue, 18 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

>Yes and yes. I can even ping the IP at ppp0.
>traceroute to anything else does not work (default route is
>correct).
>What I don't understand is that TCP works. I can telnet to
>a IP address but can't traceroute to it !

I didn't see the beginning of the affair, but the only explanation I see to
your problems is that you are behind an IP filter, which doesn't allow some
protocols/services to go to (or from) your host.

Maybe you could try to make a ppp connection to another machine...

Michel Vanaken

   ___ ____  _            _      IDtech S.A.
  |_ _|  _ \| |_ ___  ___| |__   62, rue Saucin
   | || |_| | ||  __/ (__| | | | Belgium          Fax: (32)81/55.46.59
  |___|____/ \__\___|\___|_| |_|
  Access Control, Time Attendance, Alarm Monitoring...

Post by robe » Tue, 18 Jun 1996 04:00:00

 >    Can you use ICMP and UDP through the loopback device (i.e., can you
 >"ping 127.0.0.1" and "traceroute -n 127.0.0.1"?

If you got 'lo' configured with ifconfig, yes.

                                                                robert

Kernel does not detect UDP/ICMP packets

Post by Dr. Frankl » Tue, 18 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Kernel does not detect UDP/ICMP packets

Post by Rohit Feda » Fri, 21 Jun 1996 04:00:00

As the original poster, let me clear up some things that seem
to be causing confusion:
I am using a simple Netcom dialup account. There are no problems
with the link using other operating systems on the same hardware.

The IP address is dynamically assigned, so I have no way of pre-
arranging a traceroute to an address.

Actually, I have tried it with a static address and a a differnt ISP
with the exact same results. My programming skills are not the
greatest so I could not figure where in the kernel source code
the serial port passes data to the ppp driver and then on to the
network layer.

Rohit
--
                                    ~~~
                                    (o o)

1. How to receive UDP and ICMP packet using one UDP socket, (Path MTUD)

Dear All,

Can we configure one socket to receive two different protocols packet.
Like how can we made a UDP socket to receive udp as well as icmp
messages.

Actually I am implementing Path MTUD, so for that I sent some udp
probs to destination host, now I want that the same socket at client
side must be able to receive both udp response and icmp error
messages(like host unreachable, port unreachable etc).

Another approach is that, we will use two sockets for both source and
destination, form source we will send udp probs(through udp socket)
while at destination host, after receiving that prob(through udp
socket), application will make an icmp packet and sent it back to the
source host (using ICMP socket). And here at source host, that message
and other icmp error messages will be received by icmp socket.

But this approch dosen't look efficient to me, what u people say? If
Any one has another approch plz let me know.

Eagerly waiting for some +ve pings.

2. Mag optical?

3. missing icmp errors for udp packets

4. X and SiS 6326 PCI video board ?

5. Problem with capturing the icmp and udp packets

6. Sybase Dataservers Using High CPU after Upgrade from solaris 2.6 to 2.8

7. no ICMP port unreachable for UDP packets

8. Altos 1700

9. PPP allows ICMP, drops TCP & UDP (not ipfw prob)

10. my 3c509b not detected by installed kernel, IS detected when I use net root disk.

11. ICMP redirect packets: not accepted (RedHat 4.0)

12. detecting tcp/udp socket bind in kernel module

13. questions regarding sending/recving udp packets in kernel