Internet Service Provider accounting

Post by eberrypo.. » Fri, 15 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Hi ALL.

Mine must be a question not only asked many a time, but also common knowledge
to most network users.

I want to setup an Internet Service Provider service for many users with an
ISDN link to the Internet! I've looked into this with Linux in great detail
and am going ahead with it. Everything is setup such as DNS, Email, WWW, etc,
etc, even as far as having the Cyclades multiport card. However, I would like
to be able to have some way of keeping account of people's dialup usage.

I would setup a seperate machine to be the modem-pool server with probably
2 multiport serial cards. They would callup and due to (I think) ugetty they
will receive a "telnet" login screen. They then enter their unique username
and password and that would run a batch file, perhaps ppplogin, or something
like that. At that stage they will have ppp access until they hangup or use
more than the time allowed. Fairly simple, once setup properly.

Question is, are there programs out there that will "account" the amount of
time spent on a ppp connection, the amount used, and if either of these is used
over the amount allowed the program(s) would hangup the user until the next
day. I think you can see what I'm getting at here. Perhaps the answer lies in
some intelligent batch file that would monitor /proc/net/dev, or something like
that.

Again, I want something that keeps an account of users time and data usage, and
perhaps some sort of setup to hangup people who overuse their allowed amounts.

ANY information would be greatly appriciated.
Thanks
Mike Berry-Porter

Post by Miguel A.L. Par » Sun, 17 Dec 1995 04:00:00

: Question is, are there programs out there that will "account" the amount of
: time spent on a ppp connection, the amount used, and if either of these is
: used over the amount allowed the program(s) would hangup the
: user until the next
: day. I think you can see what I'm getting at here.

Yup!  You can start with one of my perl creations:

ftp.iphil.net:/pub/linux/admin/tacct-19Nov95.tar.gz

You need perl 5 for this, and you have to customize it according
to your setup.  No fancy terms and conditions for this, but if
it breaks, you get to keep both pieces!

: Perhaps the answer lies in
: some intelligent batch file that would monitor /proc/net/dev,
: or something like that.

Naah, nothing like that.  Btw, we do use scripts, not "batch files"...
still thinking of DOS?  :)

--

                     iphil communications, makati city, philippines

1. Connecting to the Internet via Internet service provider (How?)

I want to be able to connect to my internet service provider via modem
with Linux.  I currently use Netscape 1.1 when in DOS.  I know that I
need a graphical web browser like Netscape (I have Xfree86 up and
running ) but what else is needed.  I've heard of 'dip' but don't
really know what it is or why I might need it.  I have e-mailed tech
support at my internet service provider for help but haven't gotten a
response back yet and I am very anxious to get on the web via
Linux....any help would be greatly appreciated.

What about DOSEMU?  What would be the disadvantage to just use my
current Netscape 1.1 (windows) with DOSEMU (if it works)?

Thank you in advance.

2. ZIP drive drivers for Linux?

3. Getting Linux to collect my Mail via internet service provider

4. tenth post about PCI code, need help

5. WANTED to talk with other Internet Service Providers...

6. ppp-2.3.5 install in Slackware 3.6?

7. WWW: Linux Internet Service Provider Mailing List

8. Streambuf class change - seekpos method

9. Open Server Enterprise 5.0 - Connecting to an Internet Service Provider

10. Setting up a internet Server/service provider

11. Why do internet service providers like BSD ?

12. starting Internet Service Provider

13. dial to an internet service provider