how to set default modem speed for PPP

Post by Adam C. Lew » Sat, 19 Apr 1997 04:00:00

        Hey, I'm connecting using pppd, connects fine but very slow; I used
it before and remember that there is a place to specify the default modem
speed.  I have a 28.8 but it seems to be connected at 1200 or so.

Thanks!

Post by Matt Kirsc » Sat, 19 Apr 1997 04:00:00

>         Hey, I'm connecting using pppd, connects fine but very slow; I used
> it before and remember that there is a place to specify the default modem
> speed.  I have a 28.8 but it seems to be connected at 1200 or so.

Use the "speed xxxxx" option in your pppd command line, or in
your /etc/ppp/options file. For maximum speed, use 115200.

--
Mathew E. Kirsch, CLSE (Certifiable Linux Systems Engineer)
*Opinions expressed herein do not reflect those of my employer.

"If you don't have time to read the FAQ, I don't have time to read it to
you."

Post by Macab » Tue, 22 Apr 1997 04:00:00

>>>         Hey, I'm connecting using pppd, connects fine but very slow; I used
>>> it before and remember that there is a place to specify the default modem
>>> speed.  I have a 28.8 but it seems to be connected at 1200 or so.

>>Use the "speed xxxxx" option in your pppd command line, or in
>>your /etc/ppp/options file. For maximum speed, use 115200.

> The option is just the rate. There is no option called 'speed'. At
> times, I wish that there was the requirement to use 'speed xxxx'
> rather than just 'xxxx'. However, that is not the way that things are.

>>Mathew E. Kirsch, CLSE (Certifiable Linux Systems Engineer)

> Does the certification cover PPP? :=)

What are you using to dial your modem with?!  Also, I found that anything
higher than 38400 on the pppd command line may give you an error.  Use
'setserial' to set the baud rate of the /dev/cuaX device.  Then, *if*
your modem connects to the remote modem using data compression, baud
rates may exceed 38400 when transferrring compressible data.  It
is a very beautiful thing.  I get rates around 80,000 on ASCII text...
never seen 115,200 though. A script example w/ speeds:

#!/bin/sh
COMPORT=/dev/cua3
LINESPEED=38400
opts="lock modem crtscts defaultroute"
(
    stty 38400 -tostop
    setserial $COMPORT spd_vhi
    if /usr/sbin/chat -f /usr/sbin/logdat
    then
        /usr/sbin/pppd -detach $opts $COMPORT $LINESPEED &
        exit 0
    else
        echo "PPP crock of sh_t " 1>&2
        exit 1
    fi
) < /dev/$COMPORT > /dev/$COMPORT

This way, the script properly terminates more or less immediately,
independent of the pppd connection success. Convenient to code a
redialer script or whatever. The '-tostop' is... [-]tostop (np)
Stop background jobs that try to write to the terminal. (Don't ask)
The 'logdat' file is expect/send type format:

'ABORT' 'BUSY'
'ABORT' 'ERROR'
'ABORT' 'NO CARRIER'
'ABORT' 'NO DIALTONE'
'ABORT' 'Invalid Login'
'ABORT' 'Login incorrect'
'' 'ATZ'
'OK' 'ATDT5555555'
'CONNECT' ''
'name:' 'fooboy'
'assword:' 'mongosnaf'
'A_PROMPT#>' 'ppp'

Hope this helps,

1. Querying modem-to-modem speed of PPP connection.

I'm using Redhat 4.1.

Is there a way to query the modem-to-modem speed of an existing PPP
connection?  I know that I can send packets and do timings to
calculate this, but I'm wondering if there is some utility that already
exists which will give me this information.

By the way, I'm not interested in the speed returned by 'setserial',
since that's the speed of the port itself, not the modem-to-modem
speed.

Thanks in advance.

--
 Lloyd Zusman

2. Which rc.local?

3. Can't set serial console line speed higher than default

4. TCP/IP Diskette gone Bad

5. Setting default speed on /dev/dsp after boot?

6. ATI Xpression MACH64 2 RAM!

7. Change default modem speed.

8. Machine with multiple CPUs: which CPU is running which process?

9. Can i set my PC as ppp-server and ppp-client using one modem ?

10. modem/serial port speeds > 115200: "set SPD_* flags is deprecated"

11. Can I set the modem speed to 57,600?

12. How to set up a dialin modem at multiple speeds?

13. Setting up High Speed modems