Telnet and FTP woes

Post by hellraise » Tue, 13 Apr 1999 04:00:00

> Hi folks,
> I'm running RedHat Linux 5.1 (2.0.34 kernel).  I finally have TCP
> networking operating after some kernel compile problems, yet I still
> have
> some issues.  The one I'm working on now involves Telnet and FTP.   I
> cannot connect my Windows machine to my Linux box with either;
> both clients on the Windows side indicate a closed connection.

>     Telnet gives me no message other than "connection closed".  I never
> get a login.
>     FTP gives me the message "Connection closed by remote host".  I
> never get a login here either.
>     Both clients are the simple programs that ship with Windows 95.

>     I can ping my Linux box from Windows and vice-versa.  I'm assuming I
> need to change some settings in my network, but I'll be damned
>     if I know what they are.  I have checked /etc/services and it shows
> both ftp and telnet as being set up.  Do I need a telnet and ftp
>     daemon running?   Any information would be appreciated.

you probly forgot to run the daemons

Quote:

> Doug Haines

Telnet and FTP woes

Post by Douglas A. Haine » Wed, 14 Apr 1999 04:00:00

[...]

Post by James Mand » Wed, 14 Apr 1999 04:00:00

make sure there is nothing in /etc/hosts.allow
and nothing in /etc/hosts.deny

try a "killall -HUP inetd"

Cheers, James.

Quote:>     Telnet gives me no message other than "connection closed".  I never
> get a login.
>     FTP gives me the message "Connection closed by remote host".  I
> never get a login here either.
>     Both clients are the simple programs that ship with Windows 95.

>     I can ping my Linux box from Windows and vice-versa.  I'm assuming I
> need to change some settings in my network, but I'll be damned
>     if I know what they are.  I have checked /etc/services and it shows
> both ftp and telnet as being set up.  Do I need a telnet and ftp
>     daemon running?   Any information would be appreciated.

> Doug Haines

Telnet and FTP woes

Post by Luca De Vitis - De Whiskey's » Wed, 14 Apr 1999 04:00:00

>make sure there is nothing in /etc/hosts.allow
>and nothing in /etc/hosts.deny

Make sure you have the right instruction for your inetd in these files
watching the hosts_access (5) and then the hosts_options (5) man pages... but
if you do not understand wath they talk about... try this configuration

/etc/hosts.allow:

#
# This single line tell the inetd to garant any service to your windows box
#
ALL : <the windows client ip-address>

/etc/hosts.deny:

#
# If the connecting client is not your windows box this line deny any client
# from connecting to your linux box
#
ALL : PARANOID : rfc931

This is one of the most secure configuration... drasticaly close... but it
work ;)

        Luca

Telnet and FTP woes

Post by Robert Ribni » Wed, 14 Apr 1999 04:00:00

On Tue, 13 Apr 1999 02:27:08 +0000, "Douglas A. Haines"

>Hi folks,
>I'm running RedHat Linux 5.1 (2.0.34 kernel).  I finally have TCP
>networking operating after some kernel compile problems, yet I still
>have
>some issues.  The one I'm working on now involves Telnet and FTP.   I
>cannot connect my Windows machine to my Linux box with either;
>both clients on the Windows side indicate a closed connection.

>    Telnet gives me no message other than "connection closed".  I never
>get a login.
>    FTP gives me the message "Connection closed by remote host".  I
>never get a login here either.
>    Both clients are the simple programs that ship with Windows 95.

>    I can ping my Linux box from Windows and vice-versa.  I'm assuming I
>need to change some settings in my network, but I'll be damned
>    if I know what they are.  I have checked /etc/services and it shows
>both ftp and telnet as being set up.  Do I need a telnet and ftp
>    daemon running?   Any information would be appreciated.

>Doug Haines

edit /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny to suit your needs (did the
trick for me)

Telnet and FTP woes

Post by TS Stah » Wed, 14 Apr 1999 04:00:00

The other posters offerred some good advice, so I will just add this.

Are you using a normal user account to login?  By default, the root user
can't log in remotely.

HTH

--
Scott Stahl
MIS Asst.

Telnet and FTP woes

Post by Michel Arendse » Wed, 14 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Type in windows at:
Start> run

Telnet <IP form your Linux computer>

You should get a login promt(or not)

Michel Arendsen, The Netherlands

Douglas A. Haines heeft geschreven in bericht

Quote:>Hi folks,
>I'm running RedHat Linux 5.1 (2.0.34 kernel).  I finally have TCP
>networking operating after some kernel compile problems, yet I still
>have
>some issues.  The one I'm working on now involves Telnet and FTP.   I
>cannot connect my Windows machine to my Linux box with either;
>both clients on the Windows side indicate a closed connection.

Telnet and FTP woes

Post by UnixD » Fri, 16 Apr 1999 04:00:00

How does one configure the system (RedHat 5.2) to allow the root user to

1. VPN woes: telnet OK, ftp put OK, ftp get hangs

Hello All:

My Nortel VPN connection from my home PC (Redhat 9.0) to to my employer
has stopped working OK after I messed with the networking settings, and
I don't know what I changed anymore - OK, that was stupid.  But to make
it clear:  It was working fine in all respects until a little while
ago.

Symptoms now:
- Connection gets established OK
- telnet to my work machine works OK
- ftp to my work machine connects OK, put works but get or even just
dir hangs forever
- I can connect to my VNC server at work, but it hangs after creating
the window at home, never paints any window contents
- the system log shows the VPN getting started and stopped with no
warnings or errors
- the VPN log shows no problems

I have scoured /etc for files that have changed or look wrong, and
found nothing.
I don't have any iptables rules because I have a firewalled DSL modem.
Since the VPN connection gets established OK, I suspect some
authorization or permission problem on my PC - does that make sense?

Where should I look?
I was told to reinstall the Redhat networking - how do I do that
without reinstalling everything?

Thanks for any pointers.

2. out-of-the-box hardware

3. ftp/telnet open processes lagging ftp/telnet startup

4. QLogic Fast SCSI Help!!!

5. aic7xxx 6.2.1 unstable?

6. ftp and telnet woes

7. Package methods (RPM, DEB .. TGZ)

8. ftp/telnet woes

9. Telnet/FTP Woes

10. Samba,localhost,ftp & telnet woes.

11. telnet and ftp woes

12. CD-RW mounting woes in Mandrake 7.0 woe oh woe oh woe!