Modem speed problem

Post by James B. Hill » Wed, 11 Oct 1995 04:00:00

: >>I am have some trouble getting my throughput up through my ppp connection
: >>to my ISP.  The script I am using is:
: >>
: >>#!/bin/sh
: >>/usr/lib/ppp/pppd connect '/usr/lib/ppp/chat -v "" ATDT3951111 CONNECT "" ogin: Ploginname
: >>word: passwd' /dev/modem 115200 -detach debug crtscts modem defaultroute mtu 256 mru 296
: >>&
: >>
: >>The best I can seem to get is 300-500 bytes/sec.  The same ppp account
: >>using Windows311 based software yields a rate expected from a 28.8 modem.
: >>What config am I missing here?
: >>
: >>Thanks in advance!
: >>
: >>-Eric
: >>
: >
: >These are the settings in my 'options' file in /etc/ppp.
: >
: >noipdefault
: >crtscts
: >modem
: >defaultroute
: >/dev/modem
: >38400
: >asyncmap 0x000A0000
: >mru 1500
: >
: >then your account file can be something like -
: >
: >"" ATDT3951111 CONNECT \r ogin--ogin PLoginname assword passwd
: >
: >then your script contains
: >
: >/path-to-pppd/pppd connect '/path-to-chat/chat -vf /path/your-account-file'
: >
: >I keep all but the script in /etc/ppp
: >
: > Hope that helps...... Remember to setserial spd_vhi you port to obtain 115000
: >speed......     Randal
: >

: I have tried this and it didnt improve my situation.  i am still only
: achieving 100-500 cps thru put.  What Have I missed???? Anyone?

: -Eric

I'm having similar troubles.  Please post replies here...  Thx!

jbh

Modem speed problem

Post by G. Eric Morg » Thu, 12 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>>I am have some trouble getting my throughput up through my ppp connection
>>to my ISP.  The script I am using is:

>>#!/bin/sh
>>/usr/lib/ppp/pppd connect '/usr/lib/ppp/chat -v "" ATDT3951111 CONNECT "" ogin: Ploginname
>>word: passwd' /dev/modem 115200 -detach debug crtscts modem defaultroute mtu 256 mru 296
>>&

>>The best I can seem to get is 300-500 bytes/sec.  The same ppp account
>>using Windows311 based software yields a rate expected from a 28.8 modem.
>>What config am I missing here?

>>Thanks in advance!

>>-Eric

>These are the settings in my 'options' file in /etc/ppp.

>noipdefault
>crtscts
>modem
>defaultroute
>/dev/modem
>38400
>asyncmap 0x000A0000
>mru 1500

>then your account file can be something like -

>"" ATDT3951111 CONNECT \r ogin--ogin PLoginname assword passwd

>then your script contains

>/path-to-pppd/pppd connect '/path-to-chat/chat -vf /path/your-account-file'

>I keep all but the script in /etc/ppp

> Hope that helps...... Remember to setserial spd_vhi you port to obtain 115000
>speed......     Randal

I have tried this and it didnt improve my situation.  i am still only
achieving 100-500 cps thru put.  What Have I missed???? Anyone?

-Eric

Modem speed problem

Post by James Champi » Thu, 12 Oct 1995 04:00:00

The problem could be a bottleneck at/with your ISP.  One way I think you can check
on things is to run 'netstats' ( I'm not sure if this is the correct one to run or
not, but in the Net-2 HOWTO it talks about it) and it will give info like how many
packets in a trans. had to be retransmitted due to an error, etc.  Also, I've heard
that some modems will automatically drop the baud rate down depending on the
quality of the line.

J.C.

Modem speed problem

Post by Connection refuse » Fri, 13 Oct 1995 04:00:00

> : >>#!/bin/sh
> : >>/usr/lib/ppp/pppd connect '/usr/lib/ppp/chat -v "" ATDT3951111 CONNECT "" ogin: Ploginname
> : >>word: passwd' /dev/modem 115200 -detach debug crtscts modem defaultroute mtu 256 mru 296

In case you are interest on mine..

pppd connect 'chat -v "" ATZ OK ATDT1234567 CONNECT "" ogin: blah
assword: passwd'

And my /etc/ppp/options :
/dev/cua3
115200
crtscts
modem
defaultroute
mtu 1500
mru 1500
asyncmap 0

---

 [33m                    : [0m [0m  [36;24mhttp://longyear.acs.nmu.edu/~xetronic [0m [0m

Modem speed problem

Post by G. Eric Morg » Fri, 13 Oct 1995 04:00:00

>The problem could be a bottleneck at/with your ISP.  One way I think you can check
>on things is to run 'netstats' ( I'm not sure if this is the correct one to run or
>not, but in the Net-2 HOWTO it talks about it) and it will give info like how many
>packets in a trans. had to be retransmitted due to an error, etc.  Also, I've heard
>that some modems will automatically drop the baud rate down depending on the
>quality of the line.
>J.C.

Okay, but I am achieving 2050 cps thru my Win311 software.  This is
not quite as fast as it should be either (it was a gz compressed file
I was testing with for true thruput).  Anyway, I think there is a
setting I am missing.  I dont know enough about how modems work.

-Thanks!  Keep the suggestions coming....

-Eric

Modem speed problem

Post by James Dani » Sat, 14 Oct 1995 04:00:00

]
[...]

In the Win311 2050 cps case, compressed files go more slowly, cuz the modems
are trying to compress something that doesn't compress.  In general, if you
have the modems compressing, disable the software compression, OR disable the
modem compression if you're transmitting compressed files.  Transmit a long
ASCII file and watch THAT throughput climb through the roof!

In the ppp low-baud case, I'd try things like setting the mpu lower (about
596 or less), since you MIGHT be getting lots of error correction with the
1500.  Otherwise, I'd play with the actual modem settings, and make sure
that the relative levels of error correction and compression aren't strongly
affecting your results.

Finally, borrow a friend's modem and test it out with your set-up.  If it
behaves exactly the same way, you can be sure that it's a software problem,
and not a hardware problem with the modem.  (I recently found a problem by
doing just that -- my modem worked fine in every way, except it kept on
* after 10 seconds on my attempts to SLIP/PPP.  I tried all sorts of
mods, but one attempt with my roomie's modem and it worked fine!  Of course,
I didn't know it was the modem until then ... I thought I was misunderstanding
the network setup.)

James Daniel

Modem speed problem

Post by vp24n.. » Sat, 14 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Win 3.11 will NOT use baud rates higher than 19.2k
You ARE getting some compression.

Modem speed problem

Post by Devin Co » Sat, 14 Oct 1995 04:00:00

I don't know if my message got lost, but after experimentation, pppd at least
does not like 115200.  Using this setting, ftp dropped from ~3.5k/s to 850b/s!

So I went back to 38400.  I don't know if there is a legal higher setting
or if their is a driver problem.

--
 |  They told us of a second coming,
 |  So we keep looking towards the sky.                    ----------------
 |  But its not a Savior that we want,                     |              |
 |  Just someone else to crucify.      --   New Model Army | Devin Cook   |
--

-- Devin

Modem speed problem

Post by Graywo » Sun, 15 Oct 1995 04:00:00

OK, try 38400 in your script.  In your /etc/rc.d/rc.local put the
line:

setserial /dev/modem spd_vhi
              ^
          or /dev/cua1 or whatever port your modem is on if you
          don't have /dev/modem pointing to it.

reboot the system.

I think the newer versions are supposed to be able to set the
port to the high speeds directly, but this way works on my system.

--

Graywolf
(Tom Rittenhouse)

1. Modem speed problems, pretty bizzarre

I have two modems, a 14.4 and a 28.8.  the 14.4 works fine, but the 28.8
runs at the speed of about 50 bps, on all functions including stuff like
init strings.  When I run minicom, a message comes up saying it is
intializing the modem.  about ten seconds later the first half of the
init string comes up, another ten seconds later the other half.  I have
tried changing com ports and irqs, and have tried almost all the
settings, but no change.

If you know what I can do, or have had the same problem, please reply to

Thanks!!
Sergey Klypin

2. Joy Stick Help

3. Modem speed problem

4. g3 video anamolies

5. modem SPEED problems over a dedicated PPP link

6. Rexx Interpretor for Linux?

7. Actiontec modem (was Re: Call Waiting Modems / Low Connect Speeds)

8. one-way FTP

9. Modem Connect speed Phoebe CMV1456VQE-T1 External 56Kbps/V.90 &X2 FAX/Modem??

10. Querying modem-to-modem speed of PPP connection.

11. modem to modem speeds

12. 2 Qs: modem connect speed indication, and mounting file system over modem link

13. Speed..Speed..Speed