IPmasquerade and Ethernet 100mb problem

Post by reglis » Wed, 18 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Hi !
          I have a problem with IPmasquerade like  Vinson Armstead
have. The problem are that the Internet connection are slow after my
Linux box.

My Setup are curently like that:

cable modem

ETH0  Ne2k-pci  DHCP  10baseT
Pentium2-300MHz  128meg RAMM
RedHat 7.0
ETH1 rtl8129  192.168.0.1  100baseT

Fast Ethernet switch  10/100

Ethernet 100mb
Workstations with linux and Win98

Recently I upgrade My networking speed to Fast Ethernet 100, before I
used the same configuration except ETH1 of the Firewall for a  10baseT
and hub at 10mb. All worked find, the Internet speed in the
workstation was 100k/s.

Now, the speed of Internet in my workstation are at 3k/s, but, in the
firewall box  I can download at up to 100k/s. I changed the switch for
my old hub 10mb, the intranet pass to 10mb, oups... the internet speed
goes up at 30k/s, good, but I loose the speed of my intranet traffic.

I installed Internet sharing in Win98SE in the same box , surprise !
All work find. The Internet speed are good at my workstation.

Conclusion :
the probleme are in Linux, but where ?

What I think :
IPmasquerade run with IPchains correctly if I use two 10mb cards in
the Linux box. Maybe it's a mis-compatibility between 10mb traffic and
100mb in Linux ? Or what I'm more sure, IPCHAIN !!?    I don't know !
:-(    I search in howto : IPmasquerade,net-3,ethernet. I saw nothing
about that problem!

Questions :
I have almost the same hardware setup than Vinson Armstead, and
probably the same probleme differently explained.

If someone have the solution please tell it ! I'm sure that I'm not
the only one to have this problem ! thanks a lot !

:-)
Pierre-Luc
technologist

ps: My english are probably miserable, sorry ! I'm french speaker.

IPmasquerade and Ethernet 100mb problem

Post by Steve Seele » Thu, 19 Oct 2000 04:00:00

This is the same as my problem. I have searched old newsgroups and there are
lots of people who have reported this problem and none of them ever got a
response (that I found anyways..). The used slightly different setups,
different distributions etc but the symptoms are the same.

In my case I can get 8K average throughput to my masq machine (NT). What is
odd is that there is not a high level of reported collisions and I can get
8K per connection. If I download 6 ftp files, each one comes in at 8K. This
shows that the cards/network is capable of passing more traffic, just not in
one pipe. The other interesting point is that the slow down is only in one
direction, from Linux to WinNT. Uploading files to the Linux server is fast
and easy.

I wish somebody would help with this problem. It is so bothersome and
somehow, so illogical!! If you have any suggestions please post them!!!!

Thanks in advance.

>Hi !
>          I have a problem with IPmasquerade like  Vinson Armstead
>have. The problem are that the Internet connection are slow after my
>Linux box.

>My Setup are curently like that:

>cable modem
>ETH0  Ne2k-pci  DHCP  10baseT
>Pentium2-300MHz  128meg RAMM
>RedHat 7.0
>ETH1 rtl8129  192.168.0.1  100baseT
>Fast Ethernet switch  10/100
>Ethernet 100mb
>Workstations with linux and Win98

>Recently I upgrade My networking speed to Fast Ethernet 100, before I
>used the same configuration except ETH1 of the Firewall for a  10baseT
>and hub at 10mb. All worked find, the Internet speed in the
>workstation was 100k/s.

>Now, the speed of Internet in my workstation are at 3k/s, but, in the
>firewall box  I can download at up to 100k/s. I changed the switch for
>my old hub 10mb, the intranet pass to 10mb, oups... the internet speed
>goes up at 30k/s, good, but I loose the speed of my intranet traffic.

>I installed Internet sharing in Win98SE in the same box , surprise !
>All work find. The Internet speed are good at my workstation.

>Conclusion :
>the probleme are in Linux, but where ?

>What I think :
>IPmasquerade run with IPchains correctly if I use two 10mb cards in
>the Linux box. Maybe it's a mis-compatibility between 10mb traffic and
>100mb in Linux ? Or what I'm more sure, IPCHAIN !!?    I don't know !
>:-(    I search in howto : IPmasquerade,net-3,ethernet. I saw nothing
>about that problem!

>Questions :
>I have almost the same hardware setup than Vinson Armstead, and
>probably the same probleme differently explained.

>If someone have the solution please tell it ! I'm sure that I'm not
>the only one to have this problem ! thanks a lot !

>:-)
>Pierre-Luc
>technologist

>ps: My english are probably miserable, sorry ! I'm french speaker.

1. Switched Ethernet or 100MB Ethernet on AIX

I am investigating the possibility of running 100 MB ethernet or switched
ethernet on AIX 3.2.5 or 4.1 running on a 43p or 250. Are there special
drivers that will need to be installed to run Switched Ethernet or 100 MB
Ethernet?

Also, is it possible to go with fast ethernet on X140s or any types of X
stations at all?

Thanks for all of your help,

...Elahee

2. Problem with vgetty/mvm 1.2

3. Problems running 3COM 3C59X 10/100Mb ethernet card

4. Where to begin

5. PROBLEM : 10/100MB Ethernet MC Adapter

6. Linux-Networking Digest #910

7. IPmasquerade, 2 Ethernet cards and hub

8. CL5424 1152x900 Oops

9. Multiple 100mb pipes on 100mb switches

10. IBM 4port 10/100mb ethernet card

11. 2.5[.1]_x86 and 100Mb Ethernet

12. Best 100Mb Ethernet Card?

13. nfs mounts via 100mb intel ethernet