Small samba setup for 1 Linux and 3 Win98

Small samba setup for 1 Linux and 3 Win98

Post by JW » Sat, 09 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Hello,

I've been playing with samba for 3 weeks, and I'm getting a little weary of
reading hundreds of pages of "help". Here's the deal:

I have a small 10Baset network, consisting of 1 Linux box (mine) (I'll
hopefully be adding a Linux file server soon), 1 Win98 laptop (mine) 1 Win98
desktop (mom's) & 1 Win95 desktop (dad's). I am the "System Administrator".
For the time being I cannot upgrade dad's to Win98 because of a certain DOS
program (PV3) that won't work in '98. NT is not an option ('till 2000 come
out, anyway).

The two printers-- one a color inkjet (Epson 640), one a TI microlaser-- are
on mom's (we trade the cable manually when we need to switch). It really
won't work to move them to my Linux box. Is there any way for me to print to
a Win printer?

The Network Neighborhood identity on all our computers is "graphics". It
must stay the
same.

Sure, every client can have his own home dir on my box, but it's completely
unnecessary, and their MUST be one folder that everyone here can get into
with full read/write access.

Besides that, everything else can change as needed.

I don't care what settings I have to change on the Windows boxes, and I
don't care as much about passwords as I do just getting this set up &
running.

Any pointers, suggestions, sample conf files, or tips would be greatly
appreciated. I'd really like to hear from someone who's actually done this,
if possible.

Thanks in advance,
        JW

Small samba setup for 1 Linux and 3 Win98

Post by Eugen » Sat, 09 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> The two printers-- one a color inkjet (Epson 640), one a TI microlaser--
are
> on mom's (we trade the cable manually when we need to switch). It really
> won't work to move them to my Linux box. Is there any way for me to print
> a Win printer?

yes
you need to set it up as smb printer.

Quote:> The Network Neighborhood identity on all our computers is "graphics". It
> must stay the
> same.

err... wait a minute... You mean all computers' IDs are the same??? That is
not going to work. The IDs must be unique. Unless of course you mean the
*workgroup* is the same. The wourkgroup should be the same on all computers.

Quote:> Sure, every client can have his own home dir on my box, but it's
completely
> unnecessary, and their MUST be one folder that everyone here can get into
> with full read/write access.

so just create the folder and set it up as the smb share (edit smb.conf).
The directory must be world-writable (premissions 777).

Quote:> Any pointers, suggestions, sample conf files, or tips would be greatly
> appreciated. I'd really like to hear from someone who's actually done
this,
> if possible.

yeah, I've done this. It's possible.

Eugene

Post by Jonathan Wilso » Mon, 11 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Eugene wrote:
> > The two printers-- one a color inkjet (Epson 640), one a TI microlaser--
> are
> > on mom's (we trade the cable manually when we need to switch). It really
> > won't work to move them to my Linux box. Is there any way for me to print
> > a Win printer?

> yes
> you need to set it up as smb printer.

THAT is something I can't find intructions on. The wWindows sharename of the 2
printers are 1. Epson @ home and 2. TI @ home. I named
them, I can rename them if I need to. They're both on \\350\____ @ HOME

> > The Network Neighborhood identity on all our computers is "graphics". It
> > must stay the
> > same.

> err... wait a minute... You mean all computers' IDs are the same??? That is
> not going to work. The IDs must be unique. Unless of course you mean the
> *workgroup* is the same. The wourkgroup should be the same on all computers.

Computer 1 is localhost (I didn't know "what that was all about" when I
installed linux, so I left it at the defual localhost.localdomain, which can
change if someone tells me how.) while in Linux (which is the point here, my
Windows network is already running good).

Comupter number 2 is 350 (could be roberta)
Computer number 3 is lonnie
Computerr number 4 is JW's Laptop

graphics is the Network Neighborhood workgroup name.

All the Win computers are set to share-level access control, and use Microsoft
Family Logon.

> > Sure, every client can have his own home dir on my box, but it's
> completely
> > unnecessary, and their MUST be one folder that everyone here can get into
> > with full read/write access.

> so just create the folder and set it up as the smb share (edit smb.conf).
> The directory must be world-writable (premissions 777).

In /home there is an empty folder named Samba that was there the first time I
looked. Since then I added a folder named netlogon and one named public, for
various reasons. Can I give these folders 777 permissions by typing chmod 777
/home/public ?

> > Any pointers, suggestions, sample conf files, or tips would be greatly
> > appreciated. I'd really like to hear from someone who's actually done
> this,
> > if possible.

> yeah, I've done this. It's possible.

> Eugene

Also, I've never done Linux or UNIX networking of any kind before-- nin fact
I/ve never done NT or Mac networking either. Just simple Win '98 stuff.  So I
wonder, where in my File tree do I look for the other computers? Or will they
not show up anyware by a terminal with smbclient?

Below, I'm including my smb.conf file. Everything is true, except in reality
our ip addresses are NOT 123.123.123.123, I just changed it here for the
obvious reasons. Most of the stuff here was already in the sample file, but I
added a few things.

PLEASE make changes, but add a commented (#) explination if you do. The
references to "JW" are note I put there so I could remember what I did.

****************THE FOLLOWING  TEXT AFTER HERE IS THE SMB.CONF FILE************

#======================= Global Settings =====================================
[global]

# workgroup = NT-Domain-Name or Workgroup-Name
   workgroup = graphics

# server string is the equivalent of the NT Description field
   server string = Samba Server

# This option is important for security. It allows you to restrict
# connections to machines which are on your local network. The
# following example restricts access to two C class networks and
# the "loopback" interface. For more examples of the syntax see
# the smb.conf man page
;   hosts allow = 192.168.1. 192.168.2. 127.
# the following line added by JW
   hosts allow = 123.123.1

# if you want to automatically load your printer list rather
# than setting them up individually then you'll need this
   printcap name = /etc/printcap
   load printers = yes

# It should not be necessary to spell out the print system type unless
# yours is non-standard. Currently supported print systems include:
# bsd, sysv, plp, lprng, aix, hpux, qnx
;   printing = bsd

# Uncomment this if you want a guest account, you must add this to /etc/passwd
# otherwise the user "nobody" is used
;  guest account = pcguest

# this tells Samba to use a separate log file for each machine
# that connects
   log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m

# Put a capping on the size of the log files (in Kb).
   max log size = 50

# Security mode. Most people will want user level security. See
# security_level.txt for details.
   security = user
# Use password server option only with security = server
;   password server = <NT-Server-Name>

# Password Level allows matching of _n_ characters of the password for
# all combinations of upper and lower case.
;  password level = 8
;  username level = 8

# You may wish to use password encryption. Please read
# ENCRYPTION.txt, Win95.txt and WinNT.txt in the Samba documentation.
# Do not enable this option unless you have read those documents
;  encrypt passwords = yes
;  smb passwd file = /etc/smbpasswd

# The following are needed to allow password changing from Windows to
# update the Linux sytsem password also.
# NOTE: Use these with 'encrypt passwords' and 'smb passwd file' above.
# NOTE2: You do NOT need these to allow workstations to change only
#        the encrypted SMB passwords. They allow the Unix password
#        to be kept in sync with the SMB password.
;  unix password sync = Yes
;  passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
;  passwd chat = *New*UNIX*password* %n\n *ReType*new*UNIX*password* %n\n

# Unix users can map to different SMB User names
;  username map = /etc/smbusers

# Using the following line enables you to customise your configuration
# on a per machine basis. The %m gets replaced with the netbios name
# of the machine that is connecting
;   include = /etc/smb.conf.%m

# Most people will find that this option gives better performance.
# See speed.txt and the manual pages for details

# Configure Samba to use multiple interfaces
# If you have multiple network interfaces then you must list them
# here. See the man page for details.
;   interfaces = 192.168.12.2/24 192.168.13.2/24

# Configure remote browse list synchronisation here
#  request announcement to, or browse list sync from:
# a specific host or from / to a whole subnet (see below)
;   remote browse sync = 192.168.3.25 192.168.5.255
# Cause this host to announce itself to local subnets here
;   remote announce = 192.168.1.255 192.168.2.44

# Browser Control Options:
# set local master to no if you don't want Samba to become a master
# browser on your network. Otherwise the normal election rules apply
;   local master = no

# OS Level determines the precedence of this server in master browser
# elections. The default value should be reasonable
   os level = 33
# JW uncommented the previous line

# Domain Master specifies Samba to be the Domain Master Browser. This
# allows Samba to collate browse lists between subnets. Don't use this
# if you already have a Windows NT domain controller doing this job
   domain master = yes
# JW uncommented the previous line

# Preferred Master causes Samba to force a local browser election on startup
# and gives it a slightly higher chance of winning the election
;   preferred master = yes

# Use only if you have an NT server on your network that has been
# configured at install time to be a primary domain controller.
;   domain controller = <NT-Domain-Controller-SMBName>

# Enable this if you want Samba to be a domain logon server for
# Windows95 workstations.
   domain logons = yes

# if you enable domain logons then you may want a per-machine or
# per user logon script
# run a specific logon batch file per workstation (machine)
;   logon script = %m.bat
# run a specific logon batch file per username
;   logon script = %U.bat

# Where to store roving profiles (only for Win95 and WinNT)
#        %L substitutes for this servers netbios name, %U is username
#        You must uncomment the [Profiles] share below
;   logon path = \\%L\Profiles\%U

# All NetBIOS names must be resolved to IP Addresses
# 'Name Resolve Order' allows the named resolution mechanism to be specified
# the default order is "host lmhosts wins bcast". "host" means use the unix
# system gethostbyname() function call that will use either /etc/hosts OR
# DNS or NIS depending on the settings of /etc/host.config, /etc/nsswitch.conf
# and the /etc/resolv.conf file. "host" therefore is system configuration
# dependant. This parameter is most often of use to prevent DNS lookups
# in order to resolve NetBIOS names to IP Addresses. Use with care!
# The example below excludes use of name resolution for machines that are NOT
# on the local network segment
# - OR - are not deliberately to be known via lmhosts or via WINS.
; name resolve order = wins lmhosts bcast

# Windows Internet Name Serving Support Section:
# WINS Support - Tells the NMBD component of Samba to enable it's WINS Server
;   wins support = yes

# WINS Server - Tells the NMBD components of Samba to be a WINS Client
# Note: Samba can be either a WINS Server, or a WINS Client, but NOT both
;   wins server = w.x.y.z

# WINS Proxy - Tells Samba to answer name resolution queries on
# behalf of a non WINS capable client, for this to work there must be
# at least one WINS Server on the network. The default is NO.
;   wins proxy = yes

# DNS Proxy - tells Samba whether or not to try to resolve NetBIOS names
# via DNS nslookups. The built-in default for versions 1.9.17 is yes,
# this has been changed in version 1.9.18 to no.
   dns proxy = no

# Case Preservation can be handy - system default is _no_
# NOTE: These can be set on a per share basis
;  preserve case = no
;  short preserve case = no
# Default case is normally upper case for all DOS files
;  default case = lower
# Be very careful with case sensitivity - it can break things!
;  case sensitive = no

#============================ Share Definitions ...

read more »

Small samba setup for 1 Linux and 3 Win98

Post by dkselic » Fri, 15 Oct 1999 04:00:00

I set this up modeled after the info on this web page:

    http://www.sfu.ca/~yzhang/linux/samba/part6.html

pub and data show up as folders in my Network Neighborhood.

I hope this helps. - Dennis

This share is be accessible by everyone, so I set up the directory like
so:

mkdir /home/pub
chmod 777 /home/pub

This share will only be accessible by people in the smb group. I set up
the directory like so:

mkdir /home/samba
chown smbuser:smb /home/samba
chmod 750 /home/samba