PPP Dialin Server Authentication problems.

PPP Dialin Server Authentication problems.

Post by Lee Shakespear » Thu, 05 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Hi Folks.

I'm trying to configure our Linux box as a dialin server for our local
network.  I've installed mgetty, and PPPd fine.  Dialin access works
using a terminal program, but I'm struggling a little with PPP access.
Using a Win95 dialup networking and LCP I'm refused access.  The mgetty
login.config entry is :

/AutoPPP/ -     a_ppp   /usr/sbin/pppd auth -chap +pap login kdebug 1
debug

If I remove the authentication parameters and have :

/AutoPPP/ -     a_ppp   /usr/sbin/pppd kdebug 1 debug

Everything works fine, I can dialin and access the network without any
problems.

I'm a little confused quite what's going on, I've looked at the PPPd man
pages and at the PPP Howto without much luck.  From what I can gather,
the "login" parameter above should use the user details from /etc/passwd
to validate my PPP login.  If this is the case what do I need in my
/etc/ppp/papsecrets file?

I've tried removing the "login" parameter and adding (what I think are
correct) entries to /etc/ppp/papsecrets for the dialin account, but have
had no success with the following :

user-name       my.machine.name         mypasswd

The machine is running a Slackware installation and kernel 2.0.29.  It's
connected to the Internet with an ISDN connection which is also using
PPP and working just fine.

Any help would be much appreciated.  Either by email or as a follow up.

Regards,
Lee Shakespeare.

Post by Kalevi Hautanie » Thu, 05 Feb 1998 04:00:00

[...]

Hello Lee

Using 'login' option makes the server look for /etc/password for
authentication. You should not have /etc/ppp/pap-secrets at all if you like
to give ppp access to all your users. That file can be used to limit acces
of ppp to some users and deny all others. The way this can be done has been
described in 'man pppd'. If you are using it, make sure your users use
'name <username>' option in their clients accessing your server.

Denying ppp access can be done easier, at least I think so, putting
root-owned read only .ppprc file into users home directory. That file
should contain valid option for users who are allowed to use ppp and
invalid text for users who aren't.

--
Kalevi J Hautaniemi,      Marjatankatu 12,     33730 Tampere,  FINLAND.
****  http://oh3tr.ele.tut.fi/~oh3fg/ ****  On air:  OH3FG, KO4BC  ****

PPP Dialin Server Authentication problems.

Post by RenĂ© Wonnin » Thu, 05 Feb 1998 04:00:00

See below for comments

> Hi Folks.

> I'm trying to configure our Linux box as a dialin server for our local
> network.  I've installed mgetty, and PPPd fine.  Dialin access works
> using a terminal program, but I'm struggling a little with PPP access.
> Using a Win95 dialup networking and LCP I'm refused access.  The mgetty
> login.config entry is :

> /AutoPPP/ -     a_ppp   /usr/sbin/pppd auth -chap +pap login kdebug 1
> debug

> If I remove the authentication parameters and have :

> /AutoPPP/ -     a_ppp   /usr/sbin/pppd kdebug 1 debug

> Everything works fine, I can dialin and access the network without any
> problems.

> I'm a little confused quite what's going on, I've looked at the PPPd man
> pages and at the PPP Howto without much luck.  From what I can gather,
> the "login" parameter above should use the user details from /etc/passwd
> to validate my PPP login.  If this is the case what do I need in my
> /etc/ppp/papsecrets file?

should that not read: /etc/ppp/pap-secrets file ?
                                                         ^

Quote:

--
---
Groeten, Greetings,

N.B. No junk mail
Sending me unwanted junk mail
agrees to a fee of US$ 1000
per sent e-mail message

1. Help: ppp dialin using pap authentication

I am trying to setup ppp dialin using pap authentication.
I want Win95 clients enter their name and password in the DUN connect
box with no login script required.

I setup:

/etc/inittab
        7:345:respawn:/sbin/mgetty -D -s 57600 /dev/ttyS1

/etc/mgetty+sendfax/login.config
        /AutoPPP/ -    a_ppp   /usr/sbin/pppd auth -chap +pap login
192.168.0.1:192.168.0.17 passive proxyarp lock crtscts kdebug 7 debug

/etc/ppp/pap-secrets
        user123 *       "password123"   *

When a call comes in, the modem answered and established the connection
fine. But, pap authentication is not working.
/var/log/message sas "PAP login failure for user" as follows:

Jan  7 22:16:33 linuxpc mgetty[670]: data dev=ttyS1, pid=670,
caller='none', conn='57600', name='', cmd='/usr/sbin/pppd',
user='/AutoPPP/'
Jan  7 22:16:33 linuxpc pppd[670]: pppd 2.3.8 started by a_ppp, uid 0
Jan  7 22:16:33 linuxpc pppd[670]: Using interface ppp0
Jan  7 22:16:33 linuxpc pppd[670]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS1
Jan  7 22:16:37 linuxpc pppd[670]: PAP login failure for user123
Jan  7 22:16:38 linuxpc pppd[670]: Connection terminated.
Jan  7 22:16:38 linuxpc pppd[670]: Exit.

I have no idea what is wrong.

The kernel version: 2.2.13
mgetty version: 1.1.14
pppd version: 2.3.8

I appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you.

2. Cabeltron E2100 ethernet card with RH 6.0

3. MST PPP for SCO Dialin PPP Server and Windows 95

4. kernel trace?

5. PPP dialin server problem

6. ccd setup problems

7. problem configuring ppp for dialin server

8. 1992 Syadmin Time Expenditure Survey

9. PPP problem on dialin server

10. setup dialin server.......problem with ppp

11. dialin server problem with ppp

12. slip/ppp dialin server with dhcp server

13. dialin server connect OK but can't mail,ftp...to this server via ppp