ftp slow in redhat 6.1

Post by jinson » Tue, 12 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Hi, All,

I just install the redhat 6.1 on our new PC which is also running NT
4.0. The ftp connection in NT is fast, up to 900kB/sec. But in redhat, I
can only get up to 60kB/sec ftp connection. I can open multiple
connections, but each one only get 60kB/sec.

Can anyone give me a clue what could be wrong? The network card we have
is 3COM 10/100 PCI 3C90xC. When I setup the network, I used most of the
default, except the IP, gateway, netmask.

Thanks in advance for any help.

jinsong

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

ftp slow in redhat 6.1

Post by David Co » Tue, 12 Oct 1999 04:00:00

[...]

Quote:> can only get up to 60kB/sec ftp connection. I can open multiple
> connections, but each one only get 60kB/sec.

> Can anyone give me a clue what could be wrong?

[...]

If you have a 2.2.something kernel, please try the following and
let me know whether it helps or not (and if you can, how much).
You can do this without rebooting, and can set them back (echo 1 ...)
again just as easily.  This has helped some people, but clearly not
everyone:

In /proc/sys/net/ipv4, do:

  echo 0 > tcp_window_scaling
  echo 0 > tcp_sack
  echo 0 > tcp_timestamps

That turns off some (all?) of the IP features that were added to
support high "bandwidth*delay product", as described in RFC 1323 "TCP
Extensions for High Performance" ...  those extensions, as described
in the RFC, only help on very fast (high bandwidth) and/or very
congested (high delay) paths, and supposedly won't hurt "normal"
paths, but in my case disabling them brings me back to pre-2.2.x
performance.  I'm very interested in whether that helps you, too.

ftp slow in redhat 6.1

Post by jinson » Wed, 13 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Thank you for your help. I tried that, it didn't help.

Any other ideas?

jinsong

PS: yes, the kernel is 2.2.12 from redhat 6.1.

> [...]
> > can only get up to 60kB/sec ftp connection. I can open multiple
> > connections, but each one only get 60kB/sec.

> > Can anyone give me a clue what could be wrong?
> [...]

> If you have a 2.2.something kernel, please try the following and
> let me know whether it helps or not (and if you can, how much).
> You can do this without rebooting, and can set them back (echo 1 ...)
> again just as easily.  This has helped some people, but clearly not
> everyone:

> In /proc/sys/net/ipv4, do:

>   echo 0 > tcp_window_scaling
>   echo 0 > tcp_sack
>   echo 0 > tcp_timestamps

> That turns off some (all?) of the IP features that were added to
> support high "bandwidth*delay product", as described in RFC 1323 "TCP
> Extensions for High Performance" ...  those extensions, as described
> in the RFC, only help on very fast (high bandwidth) and/or very
> congested (high delay) paths, and supposedly won't hurt "normal"
> paths, but in my case disabling them brings me back to pre-2.2.x
> performance.  I'm very interested in whether that helps you, too.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

ftp slow in redhat 6.1

Post by Andy Fria » Wed, 13 Oct 1999 04:00:00

It may not be your connection to the internet but the other site's
which limit it to 60kB/sec,

are you downloading from the same server in all these tests?

Andy Friar

Citrix Certified Administrator

>Hi, All,

>I just install the redhat 6.1 on our new PC which is also running NT
>4.0. The ftp connection in NT is fast, up to 900kB/sec. But in redhat, I
>can only get up to 60kB/sec ftp connection. I can open multiple
>connections, but each one only get 60kB/sec.

>Can anyone give me a clue what could be wrong? The network card we have
>is 3COM 10/100 PCI 3C90xC. When I setup the network, I used most of the
>default, except the IP, gateway, netmask.

>Thanks in advance for any help.

>jinsong

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>Before you buy.

ftp slow in redhat 6.1

Post by Patrick Farrel » Thu, 21 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Good point  I'll have to check it again...  Been so long sine I ftp'd stuff over
a lan via 10BT I forgot the rate.  Course the limiting factor here is Hard disk
Data tranfer rate,  Unless you have a raid array, you can't come close to the
max.

Patrick

Patrick