Drivers for SMC EtherEZ 8416

Post by Ram Kalapatap » Thu, 10 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

under linux? At boot time linux didn't recognize it. I tried SMC Ultra
but that wouldn't work. Should I change my network card or does any
other driver work with it?

would like to hear from you regarding your experiences in linux.
Thanks
Ram

Drivers for SMC EtherEZ 8416

Post by Ram Kalapatap » Thu, 10 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Sorry I left out a couple of things:
1. I am using redhat 2.1
2. The control panel doesn't seem to "register" my changes i.e when I add
the new ethernet card and "quit" and comeback I don't see what I added. I
checked the redhat site and didn't see any updates (except one for
kernelcfg) which I applied.

Thanks for your help,
Ram

Post by Bill Gillesp » Thu, 10 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> Hi,

> under linux? At boot time linux didn't recognize it. I tried SMC Ultra
> but that wouldn't work. Should I change my network card or does any
> other driver work with it?

> would like to hear from you regarding your experiences in linux.

You didnt mention which distribution of Linux, RedHat has tier 2
support for SMC EtherEZ
NIC's, look at http://www.redhat.com under hardware compatibility for
more info.

Bill Gillespie
New Westminster, BC

Drivers for SMC EtherEZ 8416

Post by AJ Lewi » Thu, 10 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Try installing the PnP drivers for Linux...I'm not sure where to get them,
but you should be able to do a web search and find them.  After installing
this, my SMC EtherEZ 8416 worked great under Linux.  Your other option is to
boot into DOS and use the utilities that came on the disk with the EtherEZ
to disable the cards Plug n Play...that will work too, but it tends to*
up Win96/98 if you're doing a dual boot...

Good luck,
AJ Lewis

>Sorry I left out a couple of things:
>1. I am using redhat 2.1
>2. The control panel doesn't seem to "register" my changes i.e when I add
>the new ethernet card and "quit" and comeback I don't see what I added. I
>checked the redhat site and didn't see any updates (except one for
>kernelcfg) which I applied.

>Thanks for your help,
>Ram

>> Hi,

>> under linux? At boot time linux didn't recognize it. I tried SMC Ultra
>> but that wouldn't work. Should I change my network card or does any
>> other driver work with it?

>> would like to hear from you regarding your experiences in linux.
>> Thanks
>> Ram

Drivers for SMC EtherEZ 8416

Post by Linux Us » Fri, 11 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Thanks!
I used pnpdump/isapnp to configure it successfully.

useless. I had to manually run insmod,ifconfig,route to get it on to the net.
I just downloaded xemacs  a 16 mb file at 106 Kb/s! Boy cable modem is great!
I guess I send a few notes to the Cable modem mini howto maintainer.
ciao,
Ram

>Try installing the PnP drivers for Linux...I'm not sure where to get them,
>but you should be able to do a web search and find them.  After installing
>this, my SMC EtherEZ 8416 worked great under Linux.  Your other option is to
>boot into DOS and use the utilities that came on the disk with the EtherEZ
>to disable the cards Plug n Play...that will work too, but it tends to*
>up Win96/98 if you're doing a dual boot...

>Good luck,
>AJ Lewis

>>Sorry I left out a couple of things:
>>1. I am using redhat 2.1
>>2. The control panel doesn't seem to "register" my changes i.e when I add
>>the new ethernet card and "quit" and comeback I don't see what I added. I
>>checked the redhat site and didn't see any updates (except one for
>>kernelcfg) which I applied.

>>Thanks for your help,
>>Ram

>>> Hi,

>>> under linux? At boot time linux didn't recognize it. I tried SMC Ultra
>>> but that wouldn't work. Should I change my network card or does any
>>> other driver work with it?

>>> would like to hear from you regarding your experiences in linux.
>>> Thanks
>>> Ram

1. SMC EtherEZ 8416 driver anyone?

Hello

I'm having a really hard time finding a driver for my SMC EtherEZ board,
based on the SMC 8416 chip.  Anyone know where I might find one?  Or
does anyone know of a place to start looking?  I did some web searching,
but to no avail.  My Red Hat 5.2 distribution didn't come with a driver
for it  :(

Thanks
Tim

I faked my e-mail address above to avoid the spam bots.  If you need to
e-mail me, please send it to wiggles at death-star dot com.  Thanks.

2. HELP!! HP II printer problem

3. SMC EtherEZ 8416

4. wu-ftpd

5. SMC EtherEZ (8416)??

6. OS Commentary: Floppies, OS's , bugs, etc

7. SMC EtherEZ 8416

8. Redhat Linux and Modem setup (Help!)

9. SMC EtherEz 8416

10. SMC EtherEZ 8416