???Win98 and SAMBA question

Post by Wild » Fri, 28 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Has anyone successfully accessed samba shares via win98?   It has been a
question of how the password is sent.  Cant seem to access any shares that
require a password.  ie...home directories.

any insight on this one would be greatly apreciated

Justin

???Win98 and SAMBA question

Post by Themi » Mon, 31 Aug 1998 04:00:00

The password being passed by Win98 is encrypted and because you probably
haven't set up Samba to use encrypted passwords it won't give you access to
those shares.  Apparently Microsoft disabled plain text passwords in OSR2
and above (MS did the same with SP3 on NT 4).  To enable plain text
passwords in Win9x you will have to create a new DWORD registry key called
"EnablePlainTextPassword" under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\VNETSUP and assign
it the value of "1".  This should give you access to those shares.  Of
coarse I only recommend this method if you aren't concerned about securtiy
if so you may want to find out more about using encrypted passwords with
Samba.
A good Samba book I've been using is "SAMBA Integrating Unix and Windows"
by John D. Blair.

Good Luck

>Has anyone successfully accessed samba shares via win98?   It has been a
>question of how the password is sent.  Cant seem to access any shares that
>require a password.  ie...home directories.

>any insight on this one would be greatly apreciated

>Justin

???Win98 and SAMBA question

Post by Jerry Gu » Thu, 17 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> Has anyone successfully accessed samba shares via win98?   It has been a
> question of how the password is sent.  Cant seem to access any shares that
> require a password.  ie...home directories.

> any insight on this one would be greatly apreciated

> Justin

See man smbpasswd

1. Samba question: Win98 workstation with a private IP can't see Samba

Hi all,

Please give me some help on this Samba question.

I set up a RH 6.1 server running Samba 2.0.5 as a file server in a LAN of 20+
Win98 workstations.   Some of the win98 workstations have a real IP address
while others are assigned the 192.168.1.x private addresses.

None of the workstations with private IP addresses can see the Samba in their
Network Neighborhood.   But after I replaced the private IP with a real one,
the Samba server showed up and all the shared resources were available.

Can Win9x workstations with private IP (192.168.1.x) connect to a Samba server
and use the shared resources?  Is it the problem with Win9x, Linux, or Samba?
Any  docs on how to resolve this  on-line  somewhere?  I checked the FAQ on
samba.org but couldn't find any help there.

Thanks for may info and suggestions.

-stearns

2. can't unmount cdrom after exportfs

3. SAMBA - Win98 Machines and ICS through Win98 ok - no Windows network in linux

4. ftp logging/loop problem

5. Samba 2.0.5 on FreeBSD 3.1-RELEASE - very very slow writing to Samba from win98

6. A tcp connetion question

7. Win98 and samba question...

8. Help with shimmering screen

9. Linux Newbie: win98->ipmasq->Kinux->Internet: Now Samba question

10. Linux/Samba Machine & User Accounts for Samba PDC in samba-2.2.1a Question?

11. Matrox Mystique ands X.

12. A few questions regarding samba from a samba and windows rookie

13. Samba Performance - Not a samba question about Windows Pwd Encrypt!