NIC Blowout???NEWBIE

Post by Trent Coo » Mon, 10 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

I have a linux system running.  Had a VERY basic ipchains script running
fine, with a machine inside of the linux box.  I was surfing through it fine
last night at 12:00, then at 6:30 this morning I notice something died.  Odd
seeing as how it had only been a few hours, the machine wasnt even rebooted,
let alone changed in any way at all.

What I noticed is this error:
eth0: transmit timed out, status 0073, resetting

I can ping the 127.0.0.1 address, (from local machine of course) but cant
even ping either of the ip addys from the installed nics, let alone any
address on the internet.

I have tried rebooting, restarting network, disabling ipchains altogether,
altering ip addys and configs, etc.

Please let me know if you have seen this happen, or if I should just
reinstall.  Hopefully not as it is an odd error, and I would hate for it to
happen again.

I have two different nics installed and both were working fine, now
everything seems to be blasted? (pcnet32 and 8390 {ne2k-pci})
When I lsmod both modules for the NICs are still loading up fine as well.

I appreciate ANY feedback you can offer, or any tips at all.

Trent

NIC Blowout???NEWBIE

Post by B. Joshua Rose » Mon, 10 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Maybe the problem is your switch/hub not your NICs. Have you tried power
cycling the switch?

> Hi,

> I have a linux system running.  Had a VERY basic ipchains script running
> fine, with a machine inside of the linux box.  I was surfing through it fine
> last night at 12:00, then at 6:30 this morning I notice something died.  Odd
> seeing as how it had only been a few hours, the machine wasnt even rebooted,
> let alone changed in any way at all.

> What I noticed is this error:
> eth0: transmit timed out, status 0073, resetting

> I can ping the 127.0.0.1 address, (from local machine of course) but cant
> even ping either of the ip addys from the installed nics, let alone any
> address on the internet.

> I have tried rebooting, restarting network, disabling ipchains altogether,
> altering ip addys and configs, etc.

> Please let me know if you have seen this happen, or if I should just
> reinstall.  Hopefully not as it is an odd error, and I would hate for it to
> happen again.

> I have two different nics installed and both were working fine, now
> everything seems to be blasted? (pcnet32 and 8390 {ne2k-pci})
> When I lsmod both modules for the NICs are still loading up fine as well.

> I appreciate ANY feedback you can offer, or any tips at all.

> Trent

NIC Blowout???NEWBIE

Post by Trent Coo » Mon, 10 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Running a crossover cable, not a hub.

The hub on the ext is fine as I set the internal PC with external settings
after the Linux box blew up and it works fine.  :(

Thanks for the tip

Trent

> Maybe the problem is your switch/hub not your NICs. Have you tried power
> cycling the switch?

> > Hi,

> > I have a linux system running.  Had a VERY basic ipchains script running
> > fine, with a machine inside of the linux box.  I was surfing through it
fine
> > last night at 12:00, then at 6:30 this morning I notice something died.
Odd
> > seeing as how it had only been a few hours, the machine wasnt even
rebooted,
> > let alone changed in any way at all.

> > What I noticed is this error:
> > eth0: transmit timed out, status 0073, resetting

> > I can ping the 127.0.0.1 address, (from local machine of course) but
cant
> > even ping either of the ip addys from the installed nics, let alone any
> > address on the internet.

> > I have tried rebooting, restarting network, disabling ipchains
altogether,
> > altering ip addys and configs, etc.

> > Please let me know if you have seen this happen, or if I should just
> > reinstall.  Hopefully not as it is an odd error, and I would hate for it
> > happen again.

> > I have two different nics installed and both were working fine, now
> > everything seems to be blasted? (pcnet32 and 8390 {ne2k-pci})
> > When I lsmod both modules for the NICs are still loading up fine as
well.

> > I appreciate ANY feedback you can offer, or any tips at all.

> > Trent

NIC Blowout???NEWBIE

Post by Karlheinz Boehm » Mon, 10 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Hi !

> Hi,

> I have a linux system running.  Had a VERY basic ipchains script running
> fine, with a machine inside of the linux box.  I was surfing through it fine
> last night at 12:00, then at 6:30 this morning I notice something died.  Odd
> seeing as how it had only been a few hours, the machine wasnt even rebooted,
> let alone changed in any way at all.

> What I noticed is this error:
> eth0: transmit timed out, status 0073, resetting

> I can ping the 127.0.0.1 address, (from local machine of course) but cant
> even ping either of the ip addys from the installed nics, let alone any
> address on the internet.

> I have tried rebooting, restarting network, disabling ipchains altogether,
> altering ip addys and configs, etc.

Can you ping your NICs after reboot ?

Quote:

> Please let me know if you have seen this happen, or if I should just
> reinstall.  Hopefully not as it is an odd error, and I would hate for it to
> happen again.

LINUX IS NOT WINDOWS - to change the network configuration you don't
even
have to reboot the system. 'init 1' and 'init 2' afterwards is usually
enough to make the system aware of the changes.

What's missing is what NICs are you using, what does 'ifconfig' list,
what's the output of 'route' etc.

NIC Blowout???NEWBIE

Post by Trent Coo » Sat, 15 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Hi, I ended up reinstalling....played with it too long and had to get it
back up and running :)

Thanks for the post man, i appreciate it.

Trent

> Hi !

> > Hi,

> > I have a linux system running.  Had a VERY basic ipchains script running
> > fine, with a machine inside of the linux box.  I was surfing through it
fine
> > last night at 12:00, then at 6:30 this morning I notice something died.
Odd
> > seeing as how it had only been a few hours, the machine wasnt even
rebooted,
> > let alone changed in any way at all.

> > What I noticed is this error:
> > eth0: transmit timed out, status 0073, resetting

> > I can ping the 127.0.0.1 address, (from local machine of course) but
cant
> > even ping either of the ip addys from the installed nics, let alone any
> > address on the internet.

> > I have tried rebooting, restarting network, disabling ipchains
altogether,
> > altering ip addys and configs, etc.

> Can you ping your NICs after reboot ?

> > Please let me know if you have seen this happen, or if I should just
> > reinstall.  Hopefully not as it is an odd error, and I would hate for it
> > happen again.

> LINUX IS NOT WINDOWS - to change the network configuration you don't
> even
> have to reboot the system. 'init 1' and 'init 2' afterwards is usually
> enough to make the system aware of the changes.

> What's missing is what NICs are you using, what does 'ifconfig' list,
> what's the output of 'route' etc.

1. NIC Blowout???NEWBIE

[...]

2. OpenGL where????

3. Segmentation errors

4. CD R Media Blowout at Good Prices

5. Installing Linux over Local Area Netwok Question?

6. FS:Sparc 20 BlowOut! $409.00 ........

7. Mount problem

8. 4.5GB SSA Blowout!

9. FS:Cisco Switch BlowOut! $495.00

10. System Blowouts