Creating my own email address

Post by Michae » Mon, 13 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I have a static ip address (202.186.247.194) and running Linux Redhat
6.1 Kernel-2.2.13-0.5 with pop3 service open (/etc/inetd.conf) and would
like to set up an email account for my own using the static ip.

I remebered someone said I would need to state my email like the format
below:

NOTICE that my ip is surrounded with square brackets.

Can I do that?

Many thanks.

From,

Michael

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Creating my own email address

Post by Aschwin van der Woud » Mon, 13 Dec 1999 04:00:00

I think the only solution is to use an ISP wich has batched-SMTP as a
servive.
The problem with you suggestion is, if you are not online every email will
bounce. Thereby, I'm not sure if every mail-server allows this kind of
email-adressess.
But if you are always online, then I would suggest to get your own domain,
and if you allready have your own subdomain from your ISP then you could
ask them to change the DNS MX-record to be pointed to your server.

Success,

Aschwin

> Hi,

> I have a static ip address (202.186.247.194) and running Linux Redhat
> 6.1 Kernel-2.2.13-0.5 with pop3 service open (/etc/inetd.conf) and would
> like to set up an email account for my own using the static ip.

> I remebered someone said I would need to state my email like the format
> below:

> NOTICE that my ip is surrounded with square brackets.

> Can I do that?

> Many thanks.

> From,

> Michael

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Creating my own email address

Post by Jonathan Voig » Mon, 13 Dec 1999 04:00:00

yup.... or, go to dhs.org and get a hostname put into DNS for free
(hostname.dhs.org) they can also set up an MX record for you if you are
running sendmail on your red hat system, that way you can send and receive
email from that Red hat system without having to use the ISP POP/SMTP
servers....

--
__________________________________

      Jonathan Voigt

__________________________________

      http://jonsbox.dhs.org
__________________________________

Post by Sami YOUSI » Mon, 13 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> Hi,

> I have a static ip address (202.186.247.194) and running Linux Redhat
> 6.1 Kernel-2.2.13-0.5 with pop3 service open (/etc/inetd.conf) and would
> like to set up an email account for my own using the static ip.

> I remebered someone said I would need to state my email like the format
> below:

> NOTICE that my ip is surrounded with square brackets.

> Can I do that?

> Many thanks.

> From,

> Michael

Your biggest problem would be your ISPs AUP..... doing the following may be
grounds for termination...so.... you are on your own....yada..yada..yada...:

check out http://www.dhs.org/

you may be able to get "machinename.dhs.org" to point to your static ip...

note that this will only work if you ISP allows incoming connections to port
25, and if you set up your MTA (sendmail/qmail/whatever you use) correctly
to accept mail.. {be sure to protect it against spam relaying}.

If you are really adventerous, you can probably register a domain name and
use http://soa.granitecanyon.com/ as a DNS server... {but for now, a dhs.org
name may be easier}....

--
-
Sami Yousif

http://www.mav.net/teddyr/syousif/ Personal Page
http://www.alug.org/    Amarillo Linux Users Group

[eMail sent to any of my addresses is subject to the Conditions outlined
in https://www.mav.net/teddyr/emailtos.shtml]

Creating my own email address

Post by Rod Smi » Tue, 14 Dec 1999 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

> Hi,

> I have a static ip address (202.186.247.194) and running Linux Redhat
> 6.1 Kernel-2.2.13-0.5 with pop3 service open (/etc/inetd.conf) and would
> like to set up an email account for my own using the static ip.

> I remebered someone said I would need to state my email like the format
> below:

First, POP isn't what you need for this -- you need an SMTP server. Every
general-purpose Linux distribution comes with an SMTP server (aka an MTA).
Examples include Sendmail, Postfix, Qmail, Exim, and Smail. Chances are
your system is already configured to accept such traffic. I know that Red
Hat 6.0 used Sendmail, but I don't know offhand if that's the same or has
changed with RH 6.1.

Second, this works pretty well if your system is up most of the time.
Contrary to what somebody else posted, mail isn't normally bounced
immediately if the system is down; it's held at the sending system until
yours comes back online. (Within limits; most sites stop trying to send
after 5 days or so, and then bounce the mail.) Of course, you could run
into serious problems if your system is up only sporadically. Particularly
if the same is true of a sender (quite possible if the sender uses an MTA
directly on a PPP dialup link, as an example), then the sender may end up
trying to connect only two or three times before timing out, resulting in
a bounce.

Third, it's easy to register a domain name and associate it with your IP
address. It'll cost you $50-$70, though, which gets you a domain name
that lasts for two years. See http://www.internic.net/alpha.html for an
incomplete list of organizations that'll let you register a domain name.
Some of these places include DNS services in that price or for a little
more. I just recently registered a domain through http://www.joker.com. It
cost me 118 DM (about US$60) for two years including DNS. If you don't
need your own top-level domain, various outfits will let you hang your IP
address on their domains, so you become yoursystem.somedomain.net. Some of
these offer free services. Most are geared towards serving people with
dynamic IP addresses, but most also work fine with static IP addresses. A
couple whose URLs I happen to have handy are http://www.dyndns.org and
http://www.dynhost.com, but there are others. If you pick any of these
solutions, you can address mail directly to yourself on this new domain or
subdomain.

Fourth, as somebody else posted, some DSL and cable modem ISPs object to
your running servers. Check to be sure it's OK before you proceed.

--

http://members.bellatlantic.net/~smithrod
Author of books on Linux networking & WordPerfect for Linux

1. creating my own simple e-mail handler

For a project I have to create my own simple e-mail handler, in the korn
shell, It is really just a user-friendly front to the mail program.

I am having extreme difficulty with this as I don't know how to send command
(from my prompt) into the mail program i will be running behind it (or if
anyone can give me another method - I would be grateful)
e.g i run mail it churns out my first message I then want to let the user
have a choice from a menu and if they choose say 1 for instance (next
message) mail will run again and show the second message.....

Any help/ideas would be very gratefully received

Sarah Marriott
Portsmouth
England

"you always seem to be going round and round in circles with Unix..."

2. Your opinion : Version for RedHat 4.x still needed ?

3. how to add own email address to pine?

4. where is the wine development list?

5. extract email from text file and send an email to the email address

6. Scsh (a Unix Scheme shell) FAQ

7. loop back address and own IP address

8. recv problem...

9. How to replace all ufs-related addresses with my own routine addresses ?

10. How to replace all UFS related addresses with my own routine addresses ?

11. Need e-mail remailer to send to address in body of e-mail

12. >>>15.4 MILLION EMAIL ADDRESSES...PLUS OVER $2,000 WORTH OF FREE EMAIL MARKETING SOFTWARE!

13. WHAT IS THE EMAIL ADDRESS OR THE ADDRESS FOR THE AMD STAFF FOR PROCESSOR REPLACEMENT