Any advice for a modem?

Post by Chan Yoo » Mon, 18 Feb 2002 01:19:10

Hello,

I need to buy PCI internal modem for Redhat 7.1 Linux.
Could you recommend any product available now?

Thanks,
Chan

Any advice for a modem?

Post by Michael Heimin » Mon, 18 Feb 2002 02:49:37

Chan Yoon:

Quote:> Hello,

> I need to buy PCI internal modem for Redhat 7.1 Linux.
> Could you recommend any product available now?

I would suggest getting an external modem, the numerous LED on the
front panel are of great help, case there are connection problems.

A quality modem like USRobotics will work in a few seconds after
plugged in, a free serial port, without even rebooting.

Michael Heiming
--
Remove the +SIGNS case mail bounces.

Any advice for a modem?

Post by ER » Mon, 18 Feb 2002 02:56:28

On Sat, 16 Feb 2002 16:19:10 UTC, "Chan Yoon"

+ Hello,
+
+ I need to buy PCI internal modem for Redhat 7.1 Linux.
+ Could you recommend any product available now?
+
+ Thanks,
+ Chan

You've asked a FAQ so I'm posting a "pre-recorded" message. It's only
fair. :-) Your post is either about "what modem do I use?" or about
the notorious "winmodems" aka "losemodems".

If you need a new modem or are pulling out hair trying to get that
"losemodem" working try MultiTech's MT56* line of modems:

 http://www.multitech.com/PRODUCTS/MultiModemZDX/
 http://www.multitech.com/PRODUCTS/MultiModemZDX/os_compatibility.asp
 http://www.multitech.com/NEWS/MultiModemZDX/Reviews.asp

We've had great success with these at our clients that use *nix and
OS/2 systems. You can find these at several online stores as well as
your local computer resellers. These are a mid-range price at over
$100. Low end modems are usually under $100 and "high end" modems are
usually over $200.

More information about modems can be found in the modem section of
"The Unix Hardware Buyer HOWTO" at linuxdoc.org:

  http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Unix-Hardware-Buyer-HOWTO/modems.html

Read it, especially parts 7.3 and 7.4. Then go and start reading here
for a gritty and humorous treatise of internal vs external modems:

  http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/#internalmodem

For information on many modems pre-tested with Linux see this:

  http://www.idir.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html

Note that the above site *does not* just cover "losemodems". Many
real modems appear in the "Big List" there. Real, external modems
will work pretty much anywhere a modem is needed.

If you *insist* on using that "losemodem" then see this site:

  http://www.linmodems.org/

May the PC gods have mercy on you.

--
.   Owner and C.E.O. - ERA Computer Consulting - Jackson, TN USA    .
.  OS/2, UnixWare, OpenServer & Linux Business Computing Solutions  .

Any advice for a modem?

Post by fire-eye » Tue, 19 Feb 2002 02:33:34

> Hello,

> I need to buy PCI internal modem for Redhat 7.1 Linux. Could you
> recommend any product available now?

> Thanks,
> Chan

I reccommend a serial port connected external, like Michael said. Too
many internal modems now are winmodems, and its difficult to tel which
are winmodems and which are not.

But any serial port connected external modem will work, I'm using a
USRobotics right now.

1. advice on radio modems

I'm looking at putting a robot on the net here using radio.
Right now, the best combination of cost/features/ease seems to be
half-duplex radio modem, like the Abacom RTcom-RS232.  This is a
simple radio modem, which connects to an RS232 port with a 3-wire
interface.

So...  what can people advise me regarding protocols?  Will plain ol'
PPP work?  Can PPP end up holding the modem in transmit mode for a
long time, in this application?  The AX.25 HOWTO gives me the
impression that it wants to have a driver for your radio, which
is more than this approach needs.

So... where do I look for information?  What advice to people have?

Joseph J. Pfeiffer, Jr., Ph.D.       Phone -- (505) 646-1605
Department of Computer Science       FAX   -- (505) 646-1002
New Mexico State University          http://www.cs.nmsu.edu/~pfeiffer

2. Pre 1989 szrz source

3. Advice Required: Cable Modem in mixed Linux/MacOS Network

4. x86, PCI soundcards and 2.6

5. Any advice for solving slow modem connections?

6. Fixed sync displays in Linux?

7. advice on modem

8. HELP: kde won't work!

9. ! Yo Quiero good modem advice under linux

10. Advice: Linux + ADSL - internal or external modem (ANT?)

11. Advice on modem purchase please

12. Advice on modem purchase

13. Advice sought - ISDN modems, proxy servers and firewalls