DSL and IP Aliasing vs. Two NICS?

Post by PJC » Sun, 17 Sep 2000 04:00:00

I just got dsl service, but I already had a local network setup. My dsl
service uses pppoe and I get the ip using dhcp. The local ip numbers are all
static (of the 192.168.x.x variety). For the windows machines on my network,
it is no problem to bind two IPs to a network card (these would be the dsl
ip and the local ip). For my linux boxes, it looks like I can either add
extra nics or use ip aliasing. When I looked at the IP aliasing HOWTO, it
seems to assume static IPs across the board. Isd rhis correct? Or can I use
IP aliasing to bind two IPs to one NIC when one is resolved from DHCP and
the other is static?

PJC

Post by Joel Gerbe » Sun, 17 Sep 2000 04:00:00

> I just got dsl service, but I already had a local network setup. My dsl
> service uses pppoe and I get the ip using dhcp. The local ip numbers are
> all static (of the 192.168.x.x variety). For the windows machines on my
> network, it is no problem to bind two IPs to a network card (these would
> be the dsl ip and the local ip). For my linux boxes, it looks like I can
> either add extra nics or use ip aliasing. When I looked at the IP
> aliasing HOWTO, it seems to assume static IPs across the board. Isd rhis
> correct? Or can I use IP aliasing to bind two IPs to one NIC when one is
> resolved from DHCP and the other is static?

What you want to do is call the dhcpd daemon first, and then apply an IP alias
to that interface, which is BTW pretty much the same thing Windoze does, though I
must admit that I think Linux does it much nicer. IP aliasing is easy to do, just type
ifconfig ethx:0 dotted.decimal.ip.number and you have another IP setup on eth inter-
face x.

John 1:1-3 - In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with
God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God.
All things were made by Him, and without Him was not anything made
that was made.

DSL and IP Aliasing vs. Two NICS?

Post by Hal Burgi » Mon, 18 Sep 2000 12:07:06

Quote:>I just got dsl service, but I already had a local network setup. My dsl
>service uses pppoe and I get the ip using dhcp. The local ip numbers
>are all static (of the 192.168.x.x variety). For the windows machines
>on my network, it is no problem to bind two IPs to a network card
>(these would be the dsl ip and the local ip). For my linux boxes, it
>looks like I can either add extra nics or use ip aliasing. When I
>looked at the IP aliasing HOWTO, it seems to assume static IPs across
>the board. Isd rhis correct? Or can I use IP aliasing to bind two IPs
>to one NIC when one is resolved from DHCP and the other is static?

Pump and dhcpcd can run a script after DHCP has brought the primary
interface up. Use this to configure additional aliases for the
interface. I do this in fact with my DSL connection so I have eth0 and
eth0:0 both configured automatically whenever the interface comes up.

--
Hal B