load balancing accross several routes...

load balancing accross several routes...

Post by Mike » Fri, 05 Feb 1999 04:00:00

I have debian 2.0 setup as a ip masq box as one of it's net services on a
384-1500/128KBs up/down dsl line.  I'm expecting my net requirements to require
a faster line within 6 months.  When that happens, I want to add another dsl
line.  Each dsl line will have it's own ip.

    What I want to do is balance the two dsl lines.  So if dsl0 is at full
bandwidth it'll use dsl1 instead.

Everyone I've asked doesn't know enough about linux networking to know if linux
will do this.  The only thing that I can think of would be to have two routes
for IPs from 0.0.0.0-128.0.0.0 for dsl0 & 129.0.0.0-254.0.0.0 for dsl1.  This
still won't address the balancing issue.  If someone can give me a web site to
read, advice or even direct instructions I'd be thankful.
--

Webmaster for The Flag Day Festival.
 http://www.flagday.com

Debian - Linux . . . The Ultimate Windows NT service pack. :)
 http://www.debian.org

"People want to have the computing equivalents of truck or heavy equipment
operators without even bothering to learn how those machines work."

  / /  (_)__  __ ____  __   * Powerful * Flexible * Compatible * Reliable *
 / /__/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ / *Well Supported * Thousands of New Users Every Day*
/____/_/_//_/\_,_/ /_/\_\  The Cost Effective Choice - Linux Means Business!

Post by Luca Filipoz » Fri, 05 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> I have debian 2.0 setup as a ip masq box as one of it's net services on a
> 384-1500/128KBs up/down dsl line.  I'm expecting my net requirements to require
> a faster line within 6 months.  When that happens, I want to add another dsl
> line.  Each dsl line will have it's own ip.

>     What I want to do is balance the two dsl lines.  So if dsl0 is at full
> bandwidth it'll use dsl1 instead.

> Everyone I've asked doesn't know enough about linux networking to know if linux
> will do this.  The only thing that I can think of would be to have two routes
> for IPs from 0.0.0.0-128.0.0.0 for dsl0 & 129.0.0.0-254.0.0.0 for dsl1.  This
> still won't address the balancing issue.  If someone can give me a web site to
> read, advice or even direct instructions I'd be thankful.
> --

> Webmaster for The Flag Day Festival.
>  http://www.flagday.com

> Debian - Linux . . . The Ultimate Windows NT service pack. :)
>  http://www.debian.org

> "People want to have the computing equivalents of truck or heavy equipment
> operators without even bothering to learn how those machines work."

>   / /  (_)__  __ ____  __   * Powerful * Flexible * Compatible * Reliable *
>  / /__/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ / *Well Supported * Thousands of New Users Every Day*
> /____/_/_//_/\_,_/ /_/\_\  The Cost Effective Choice - Linux Means Business!

Make multiple entries in your DNS for the server:
www.yourdomain.com IN A <ip of first dsl line>
www.yourdomain.com IN A <ip of second dsl line>
So that whenever your DNS is queried for www.yourdomain.con, the DNS will
reply alternately with first or second ip address.
This is how yahoo does it, for example. Try pinging www.yahoo.com
multiple times. It should cycle through www1 to wwwX. You won't get them
in order, of course, 'cause other people will be resolving the address as
well.

--

Quote:> This is how yahoo does it, for example. Try pinging www.yahoo.com
> multiple times. It should cycle through www1 to wwwX. You won't get them
> in order, of course, 'cause other people will be resolving the address as
> well.

BTW, you have to wait about 15 minutes before trying the next ping 'cause
that's what yahoo has set their ttl to and you'll end up getting the
locally cached value (if you are running a caching DNS, that is).

--

Post by Mike » Sat, 06 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> > This is how yahoo does it, for example. Try pinging www.yahoo.com
> > multiple times. It should cycle through www1 to wwwX. You won't get them
> > in order, of course, 'cause other people will be resolving the address as
> > well.
> BTW, you have to wait about 15 minutes before trying the next ping 'cause
> that's what yahoo has set their ttl to and you'll end up getting the
> locally cached value (if you are running a caching DNS, that is).

> --

This will solve the incoming traffic balancing, but what about outgoing traffic
through the ip masq forwarding?  I would need to balance my outgoing traffic
there too.  Do you think routeD or gateD will do it?  Here's an example:

there are two downloads on dsl0 and only one on dsl1, because dsl1 doesn't have
as much load as dsl0 it'll choose dsl1 for the next download and the same for
uploads...

Is there anything that'll do this?  I'm not asking to split connections across
multiple links, just as to which link the next connection uses based on each
link's current usage.

Any help/web sites/man pages will be very helpful.  Thanks