firewall problem; how to socksify ?

Post by Giancarlo Bass » Mon, 12 Dec 2005 07:00:56

I got a probable firewall problem
connecting to FICS, freechess.org with latest xboard

Since I'm running xboard on Linux I don't
know whether I can socksify xboard,
as adviced in man and FAQ page.

With:
xboard -ics -icshost freechess.org

I couldn't get neither the menu line
File Mode Action Step Options Help
in the graphical interface, while I got the chessboard,
then I got stall.

Issuing:
telnet freechess.org
I managed to log in, to give username and password,
and all works fine, but I have no Graphical interface.

When I issued:

telnet freechess.org
I managed to log in, to give username and password,
and all works fine, but I have no Graphical interface.

When I issued:
xboard -ics -gateway fastweb.it -icshost freechess.org
-telnet -telnetProgram telnet -icsport 23 -icslogon ~/.icsrc
-size small -autoflag -autosave -colorize

I managed to log into freechess server, but then I was stalled

because after
the prompt fics%
I got stop , no life.

Is it possible to fix this firewall problem ?

If so, how can I fix this firewall problem ?

Thank you for any reply

-- Giancarlo Bassi

"Facilmente comprensibile l'insegnamento dato dalla natura attraverso
la fillotassi: nella vita un po' di irrazionalita' e' necessaria,
ma un minimo e' sufficiente" Piergiorgio Odifreddi

GB

Post by Rober » Mon, 12 Dec 2005 14:58:08

> I got a probable firewall problem
> connecting to FICS, freechess.org with latest xboard

> Is it possible to fix this firewall problem ?

> If so, how can I fix this firewall problem ?

That would depend on how tight your firewall is.

You could just allow all connection from your machine with

iptables -A OUTPUT -o <int> -m state --state NEW -j ACCEPT

This would allow all new connections from your machine out the outbound
interface

If you run a tight firewall then you would only need to open that port
like this;

iptables -A OUTPUT -o <int> -p tcp --dport <port> -m state --state NEW -j
ACCEPT

--

Regards
Robert

Smile... it increases your face value!

1. Problem with SOCKsifying CERN http server

Hi,

I am having trouble with getting a socksified http to work.

I compiled sockd, and the socks library, and specified in BUILD of cern http
with the -DSOCKS option (and also the relevant socks lib). But when I try to
access it, it gave me errors:

a) if I specify on the http server a socks.conf such that all accesses should
go thru sockd, ie.

when I tried to access outside world via the socksified httpd, I got:

<H1>Fatal Error 500</H1>
Can't Access Document:  http://www.cs.cuhk.hk/.
<P>
<B>Reason:</B>   System call `connect' failed: Address family not supported by protocol family.

b) But if I didn't have the socks.conf file, I got:

<H1>Fatal Error 500</H1>
Can't Access Document:  http://www.cs.cuhk.hk/.
<P>
<B>Reason:</B>   System call `connect' failed: Network is unreachable.
<P>

I can understand b) because the proxy cern http server only has the
direct route to get to the socks server (and the other way round) but
I am assuming that the socksified http server should connect to the sockd
server which then redirects the query outwards.

Worst of all is that sockd did not log any connection to it by the socksified
http server. This makes me feel that there is something wrong with the way
I compiled either sockd or cern http.

Note that I did compile socks to use:

# SOCKS=-DSOCKS
# or
SOCKS=-Dconnect=Rconnect -Dgetsockname=Rgetsockname -Dlisten=Rlisten -Daccept=Ra
ccept -Drcmd=Rrcmd -Dbind=Rbind -Dselect=Rselect
# If the second definition of SOCKS is used, you MUST also
# define SHORTENED_RBIND

# Define SHORTENED_RBIND to make Rbind() take exactly the same
# argument list as the regular bind(), i.e., without the additional
# 'remhost' argument.
SHORTENED_RBIND=-DSHORTENED_RBIND

as suggested in the README-SOCKS file.

Can anyone please help? It is kind of urgent so any help would be much
appreciated. Please email to me or post a followup.

Thanks much in advance,
Chee Wai

--
Chee-Wai Yeung
Assistant Computer Officer

--
Chee-Wai Yeung
Assistant Computer Officer
Department of Computer Science
The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
Clear Water Bay, Kowloon
Hong Kong
Voice:                  (852) 2358-7025
Fax:                    (852) 2358-1477

PGP FingerPrint:        8E C3 DD 64 33 0A 7B 37
                        8B 89 82 77 92 2C 45 2F

2. TVGA 9440Gui support

3. IPChains firewall behind firewall problem

4. linux or freebsd

5. Installing FreeBSD: How Do I Socksify the FTP?

6. Acquiring an extra ip address w/o paying isp.

7. socksified module

8. HELP!! HELP!! /etc moved SOS!! SOS!!

9. socksified xarchie - prospero error?

10. socksified news-server