ISDN / X-term problem?

Post by Steven Whatl » Fri, 17 May 1996 04:00:00

: The problem comes when I fire up an x-terminal window and try to run
: one of my X-applications off of my Sparc10 at work running SunOS 4.1.3.
: The thing will slog along using just the first channel and the won't
: fire off the 2nd no matter what.

I've tried using X stuff too.  I too believe it is the X protocal that is
the proble.  X seems to be a bit on the gabby side.  :) There is a program
that will compress the X protocal.  The software will need to reside on
both machines.  I don't recall what the prgram is though.  :(  Maybe
someone else can help.

Later,
Steven
                     ___     ____________
Steven Whatley  <<<((__O\   (__<>___<>__ \   ____     Don't get rattled by

Houston, Texas          \O__<>___<>___<>)\___/        my opinion.

ISDN / X-term problem?

Post by Chris Sanbor » Fri, 17 May 1996 04:00:00

I'm using a Combinet to connect my PC at home to my network at work over
ISDN. If I'm ftp'ing or using Netscape, the box senses the load and fires
up the second channel if necessary, giving me maxium throughput. Seems
to work fine.

The problem comes when I fire up an x-terminal window and try to run
one of my X-applications off of my Sparc10 at work running SunOS 4.1.3.
The thing will slog along using just the first channel and the won't
fire off the 2nd no matter what.

If I ftp something that fires up the 2nd channel and then hurry up and
establish an X-term and run an application, then it will use the 2nd
channel for all of the heavy work and the 1st sits nearly idle.

I've gone round and round with our ISDN people. All they can say is
'Well X uses different protocols, besides ISDN is too slow to really
support X-stuff'. (thanks guys)

I used to do the X-stuff using my 28k8 modem (very slow). Using my
56 - 64K is an improvement (a little too slow), but is it asking too
much to have 112 - 128K (slow but liveable)?

Anyone have a clue?
Thanks,
Chris