Linux 1.2.13, BIND, & sendmail 8.7 mail store & forwarding for non-ip domains

Linux 1.2.13, BIND, & sendmail 8.7 mail store & forwarding for non-ip domains

Post by Joel » Fri, 26 Apr 1996 04:00:00

I am looking to provide internet dial up mail services for 4 of my non
IP connected friends.

I am running Linux, BIND and sendmail.

They all wish to have their own .com domain.

They all require me to be their email forwarder.

I set up one such test person today as a test seeing if I can store
mail on my server.

After setting up a DNS entry for them and then sending mail to that

shortly there after returned a message indicating that the MX record
for newdomain1.com pointed back to my server.

How do I go about setting up a DNS entry or sendmail config that will
allow for me to become a mail store and forwarder for my friends?

Post by Stephane Bortzmey » Fri, 26 Apr 1996 04:00:00

> I am looking to provide internet dial up mail services for 4 of my non
> IP connected friends.

IMHO (and I manage a small ISP with dialup clients which have their own
domain and own machines with their own user accounts), the simplest
solution is to use UUCP which was precisely intended that way.

> After setting up a DNS entry for them and then sending mail to that

> shortly there after returned a message indicating that the MX record
> for newdomain1.com pointed back to my server.

Of course. This is THE one genuine FAQ. Someone at foobar.edu wishes
to send mail to dollar.com. The MX for dollar.com points toward
mailhost.isp.com. So, the mail arrives on mailhost.isp.com and what
happens? mailhost.isp.com see it's not for itself so it tried to send it
and follows the MX... You're lucky sendmail is smart enough to detect
the loop.

To receive mail for other domain names, you need either to add them
to the list of domains which are considered as local (typically the
/etc/sendmail.cw file or the M class) OR you need to route explicitely
mail toward them (mailertable in sendmail M4 files or any other method
you like).

1. PS/1 Printer/28.8 USRobotics/Video7 && Linux 1.2.13 -> HELP, please

Hello,

I have some LINUX specific questions;
I am familiar with IBM's version of UNIX(AIX)...and it seems like
Linux is a little different. The issues are: X support for video,
configuring a PS/1 dot-matrix printer and a question on 28.8 US
Robotics modem

1) My question is regarding configuring PS/1 on a 1.2.13 kernel.
   Basically I created a char. device for my parallel. port (lp0)...Which when
   I do a lpr prints....The only problem is that the the output is something
   like this:
    Hello
      this is junk
                 what is the problem
                                         kdjfkjadskfj klasdfjklasdfj

Can anyone suggest what could be the problem???
I've looked at my /etc/printcap which has a "generic" printer
charactersic line.

2) Second issue has to do with modem. Basically, I have an internal 28.8
   USrobotics modem that I've configured at Com3Irq5 with the dip switches.
   (Just FYI: modem works great in Dos/Win and Win NT environment).
   Now in linux I can use mincomm and dial out....IE: I hear the dialtone
   and the modem dialing....I hear the hankshaking as well.....But here's
   where the problem comes in:
   When the modem dials I see the popup windows that shows the current status
   of the call etc.....That dialog stays displayed until I hit enter....
   It seems like even after the "hankshake" the dialog box stays....After
   I depress ENTER.....it takes forever to get the CONNECT signal.....
   Basically, I am NOT able to login to the internet provider....Either
   the modem hangs up...or I get as far as:
   CONNECT xxxxxx
   (after 1-2 minutes I see) ENTER USERNAME>
   and when I type in nothing gets echoed to the stdout(screen) till MUCH
   later.....If I'm lucky I'll get to the ENTER password....but I've not
   been able to get pass that....
   Another strange thing is that everything that get's displayed to the
   screen is in this format:
   Enter username>
              Enter passoword>
                            ajdfkldjf
   I've tried changing my TERM to vt100, xterm..but that doesn't seem to help.

Finally, DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THERE'S A SUPPORT FOR VIDEO7 CHIPSET ht216
Looking at the standard vga in X makes me want to start using dos/win :)
Just kidding.........

Please respond to me personally, as I don't get to check news often.

Best Regards,
shawn
--
Sushant Garyga

2. Red Hat 5.0 setp problem

3. 3Com 3C590 && Linux 1.2.13?

4. FreeBSD 4.6 RC2, Dynalink IS64PH ISA PnP card: "Can't assign resources" ??

5. 1.2.13 & win95 & /dev/lp0...

6. Help with Gnome

7. system hangs 1.2.13 AHA-2940 & SB16-SCSI-II & ATI Mach64

8. US-CA-Los Angeles Lead Unix Systems Admin Job Opening

9. Exabyte & AHA1542 don't like Redhat & 1.2.13?

10. Quota & Acct & 1.2.13

11. 1.2.13 install with Slackware 3.0 & AHA2940 & 3c590

12. SENDMAIL 8.7/8.7: Runs REALLY SLOW - Why?

13. Slackware 1.2.13 .forward doesnt forward