Redhat Linux and Modem setup (Help!)

Post by Ian Skinne » Tue, 17 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I've just installed Redhat's Linux v6.0 and am pulling my hair out in
clumps, trying to get the system to recognise my BT Speedway ISDN PC card.

The modem is connected in Windows98 via an ISDN CAPI port; my US Robotics
modem is connected via Comm2.  As the US Robotics modem is not supported
under Linux, the ISDN connection is my only hope....

Can anyone point a new Linux user to a plain and simple helpfile which will
make more sense of the installation procedure than the manual does, please?

Thanks for any help offered,

Ian

Redhat Linux and Modem setup (Help!)

Post by Gus Palandr » Thu, 19 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I hope this helps,

First sign on as root, then bring up terminal if you are in Xwindows

Change your directory from root to proc by typing, cd /proc

Then type, cat pci

This will give you a listing of the location of all your PCI devices, I
assume your ISDN card is a PCI card

When you find you ISDN modem, take note of the irq and the "FIRST" I/O
listing (something like I/O at 0xb800)

Then type, setserial /dev/modem uart 16550A port 0xb800 irq 5

The irq and port (I/O) will be the ones on your computer

Now test it and see if it works,

If it works, email me back and i'll tell you how to set it up so it
boots up when you turn on your computer.

If it doesn't work, you can always get an external modem, connect it to
com 1 and the rest is easy

> I've just installed Redhat's Linux v6.0 and am pulling my hair out in
> clumps, trying to get the system to recognise my BT Speedway ISDN PC
card.

> The modem is connected in Windows98 via an ISDN CAPI port; my US Robotics
> modem is connected via Comm2.  As the US Robotics modem is not supported
> under Linux, the ISDN connection is my only hope....

> Can anyone point a new Linux user to a plain and simple helpfile which
will
> make more sense of the installation procedure than the manual does,
please?

> Thanks for any help offered,

> Ian

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

1. RedHat and modem dial-in setup - Help

Hi!
Recently I switched to RedHat from Slackware,
by wiping slackware from my HD and installing RedHat
from the InfoMagic-CD.

How do I setup RedHat for handling incomming connections
by modem?

In Slackware there was /etc/default/uugetty.ttySx
but no such file found in RedHat..

Where shall the info about the modem commands be stored now?

Any help would be very appreciated!

        Martin/

2. Matrox SVGA server won't work

3. need help with modem setup in Redhat 5.2

4. file access

5. linux 2.0 modem setup. RedHat 6.0

6. CSO (qi <---> ph) under Solaris

7. uninstall REDhat linux uninstall REDhat linux uninstall REDhat linux uninstall REDhat linux uninstall REDhat linux uninstall REDhat linux uninstall REDhat linux

8. NetAtalk

9. modem setup for linux redhat 6.0

10. HELP MODEM SETUP!!! Global Village Teleport Modem 56K

11. Modem setup help, modem makes weird noise, will not dial.

12. Matrox Mystique ands X.

13. Help requested for modem setup in Linux