HELP: Can't telnet to port 23...but port 25 will work.

HELP: Can't telnet to port 23...but port 25 will work.

Post by nsyt » Tue, 18 Jan 2000 04:00:00

I am having problems telneting or ftping to my box. I can telnet to
port 25 (using both the IP or host name); however, I cannot telnet (to
port 23) or ftp using either the IP or the host name.

Hosts.deny/.allow are empty...

...inetd is obviously running...

...DNS is running, and other systems are successfully using it as a DNS
server...

...telnet and ftp lines in /etc/services are uncommented...

...a grep of running services in inetd.conf shows both ftp and telnet.

When telneting to the IP, I get:
   Connected to hostname.com
   Escape characher is...

   Connection closed

Lastly, there is a user other than root.

Could this be a DNS problem (I just set it up as a DNS server -- it was
my first time) -- remember, I could telnet to port 25 using the domain.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

HELP: Can't telnet to port 23...but port 25 will work.

Post by MK » Tue, 18 Jan 2000 04:00:00

INSTALL TELNET DEAMON

Quote:

> I am having problems telneting or ftping to my box. I can telnet to
> port 25 (using both the IP or host name); however, I cannot telnet (to
> port 23) or ftp using either the IP or the host name.

> Hosts.deny/.allow are empty...

> ...inetd is obviously running...

> ...DNS is running, and other systems are successfully using it as a DNS
> server...

> ...telnet and ftp lines in /etc/services are uncommented...

> ...a grep of running services in inetd.conf shows both ftp and telnet.

> When telneting to the IP, I get:
>    Connected to hostname.com
>    Escape characher is...

>    Connection closed

> Lastly, there is a user other than root.

> Could this be a DNS problem (I just set it up as a DNS server -- it was
> my first time) -- remember, I could telnet to port 25 using the domain.

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

1. Telnet on port 23 spawns other telnet process on different port?

Hi,

I've got a question about something I read about a telnet server.

All the telnet servers I worked with in the past were capable of
handling multiple connections at a time using just port 23.
But I read something about a telnet server which spawned a
seperate process on a different PORT number (<> 23) for each
connection.

What I don't see, is the way how this is communicated to the
telnet client ??

The telnet client tried to connect to the telnet service on port 23
but how does the client know that "his" telnet server for that
connection will be on port , let's say, 3000???

Is this handled by the Telnet app, the telnet specs (couldn't
find anything there) or even TCP or IP??

Does the server on port 23 acknowledge the connection?
Does this server on port 23 send the new port number to the client?
Does the new server on port 3000 send the ack for the connection???

Thanks for your time...

2. upgrade 2.3 & ODS 2.0.1 to 2.5 and DS 4.0

3. Port 23 and 25 not working

4. Channel Bonding?

5. Can't telnet to port 25

6. pcmcia modem

7. can't write script to telnet to port 25 (ETRN)

8. Minicom and 2.0.35, infernal BEEPING

9. can't send mail because telnet port 25 refused

10. can't telnet to port 25...

11. telnet port 25 help needed

12. please help with telnet on port 25

13. Thank you for help on "telnet on port 25"