Getting Samba to auto start after cold boot/reboot

Getting Samba to auto start after cold boot/reboot

Post by The Hunte » Sun, 14 Apr 2002 12:18:00

I can't seem to get samba to auto restart when I reboot. It is fine if
I use the start command. If I do that I can log off and on as
different users and samba stays running. I can as other users from
windows machines after I do the smbaddusers and add thier
linux:windows passwords. The problem comes in when I hard reboot the
system A while ago someone gave me a command that I could run and it
allowed me to cold boot the machine and samba automatically restarted,
does anyone still have that command?

I have used the following commands and they don't help with a cold
boot only with user logoff.

/usr/sbin/smbd -D
/usr/sbin/nmbd -D

I also used /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb start
I also used /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb restart

I then do ps aux|grep .mbd and I see that the smbd and the nmbd
processes are both running, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Getting Samba to auto start after cold boot/reboot

Post by Hobo.J » Sun, 14 Apr 2002 12:20:25

Run linuxconfig.  select Control -> Control Panel -> Control Service
Activity
(This works in mandrake)

Find smbd and set it to auto.

brian

Quote:> I can't seem to get samba to auto restart when I reboot. It is fine if
> I use the start command. If I do that I can log off and on as
> different users and samba stays running. I can as other users from
> windows machines after I do the smbaddusers and add thier
> linux:windows passwords. The problem comes in when I hard reboot the
> system A while ago someone gave me a command that I could run and it
> allowed me to cold boot the machine and samba automatically restarted,
> does anyone still have that command?

> I have used the following commands and they don't help with a cold
> boot only with user logoff.

> /usr/sbin/smbd -D
> /usr/sbin/nmbd -D

> I also used /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb start
> I also used /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb restart

> I then do ps aux|grep .mbd and I see that the smbd and the nmbd
> processes are both running, what am I doing wrong?

> Thanks,

Getting Samba to auto start after cold boot/reboot

Post by Gokul Poduva » Sun, 14 Apr 2002 13:30:13

run 'ntsysv' in root mode. enable smb service

Gokul
http://www.comp.nus.edu.sg/~gokulpod

> I can't seem to get samba to auto restart when I reboot. It is fine if
> I use the start command. If I do that I can log off and on as
> different users and samba stays running. I can as other users from
> windows machines after I do the smbaddusers and add thier
> linux:windows passwords. The problem comes in when I hard reboot the
> system A while ago someone gave me a command that I could run and it
> allowed me to cold boot the machine and samba automatically restarted,
> does anyone still have that command?

> I have used the following commands and they don't help with a cold
> boot only with user logoff.

> /usr/sbin/smbd -D
> /usr/sbin/nmbd -D

> I also used /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb start
> I also used /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb restart

> I then do ps aux|grep .mbd and I see that the smbd and the nmbd
> processes are both running, what am I doing wrong?

> Thanks,

Getting Samba to auto start after cold boot/reboot

Post by The Hunte » Sun, 14 Apr 2002 19:05:09

Thank you for the help, but neither one of these tips worked, I forgot
to mention that I am running RH linux 7.2

On Sat, 13 Apr 2002 12:30:13 +0800, Gokul Poduval

Post by David K. Mean » Mon, 15 Apr 2002 07:59:06

> I can't seem to get samba to auto restart when I reboot. It is fine if I
> use the start command. If I do that I can log off and on as different
> users and samba stays running. I can as other users from windows
> machines after I do the smbaddusers and add thier linux:windows
> passwords. The problem comes in when I hard reboot the system A while
> ago someone gave me a command that I could run and it allowed me to cold
> boot the machine and samba automatically restarted, does anyone still
> have that command?

On a RH machine, you need to log in as root, and, if you use the
Graphical Interface, launch the Control Panel, and select Runlevel
editor.  This will lead you to a screen listing all the offered services
in each run level (2,3,4,5).  Change the smb service to start in levels
3,4, and 5.  This should make your Samba suite come up automagically when
you "cold-boot".

If you don't run a graphical interface, the same effect can be achieved
with the chkconfig tool.  Read the manpage for how to use it.

HTH

Getting Samba to auto start after cold boot/reboot

Post by joebeasley3r » Mon, 15 Apr 2002 12:12:04

chkconfig --levels 35 smb on

> I can't seem to get samba to auto restart when I reboot. It is fine if
> I use the start command. If I do that I can log off and on as
> different users and samba stays running. I can as other users from
> windows machines after I do the smbaddusers and add thier
> linux:windows passwords. The problem comes in when I hard reboot the
> system A while ago someone gave me a command that I could run and it
> allowed me to cold boot the machine and samba automatically restarted,
> does anyone still have that command?

> I have used the following commands and they don't help with a cold
> boot only with user logoff.

> /usr/sbin/smbd -D
> /usr/sbin/nmbd -D

> I also used /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb start
> I also used /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb restart

> I then do ps aux|grep .mbd and I see that the smbd and the nmbd
> processes are both running, what am I doing wrong?

> Thanks,

1. How can I auto-reboot a SUN, then auto-login, then auto-start a program?

My Sun (Solaris 2.6) server is running a program as a listener, when it
receives the "installation" command from remote user, it will call a
script which will automatically reboot the machine, then auto-login,
then automatically restart the listener to do the installation ...

Does anyone know how to implement this script,

Thanks a lot,

Hua.

2. RH 7.3 CD burning problem

3. How to auto-reboot a SUN, then auto-login, then auto-start a program?

4. adapter promiscuous mode

5. !!Getting rid of auto start programs at start/Dialing up freeserve!!

6. FTP questions Please Help

7. kde wont start on boot, will start on reboot

8. Display probs ATI Xpert 98 AGP, Tatung monitor HELP!!

9. 2.0.37 cold start while booting

10. AUTO START OPENWIN UPON REBOOT, not LOGIN

11. How to get Apache to Auto-Start at Reboot?

12. auto start/stop of database on Solaris reboot?

13. Auto Start Programs After Reboot