PAP with Dip or PPD. Which is best?

Post by Lawrence Abra » Thu, 07 Sep 1995 04:00:00

I have an internet isdn account that uses the PAP login scheme.  Does dip
support this?  What about PPPD?  Does anyone have a sample script for
either of  these using PAP?
  Also do you need a driver for isdn modems, or can i just use it as if it
was a modem?
        Last question is does PPPD come with linux.  Ive installed the N
diskset but cant find pppd.  If it does come with it, where is it located?
Thanks in advance.

1. PROBLEM: Modem hangsup when using dip/ppd when lagged

Hello!  Several of my linux friends and I are
having problems with dip/pppd.   I don't understand modems
very well, so please excuse the non-technical description!

I am using kernel version 1.2.13, dip V3.3.7n-uri (17 Apr 95)
and pppd version 2.1PL2.
When I reboot, it displays:
PPP: version  0.2.7 (4 channels) NEW_TTY_DRIVERS OPTIMIZE_FLAGS
PPP line discipline registered.

Basically, when I am connected, the modem hangsup at random
periods of time (i.e. sometimes I can be connected for half-hour
without it hanging up, at other times I'm connected for only
one minute before it hangsup!)    It makes no difference what
I am doing  (whether talking, reading news, netscaping, or whatever).

Also, it seems to take three seconds for it to hangup, so,
for example, if I'm typing, my characters aren't echoed
(as if I was suffering from lag), and then, three seconds
later the modem hangsup.

My modem is internal, and I've issued an AT&F to reset it to
factory defaults, but it still hangsup.  I've also tried
dip -vt to set up a SLIP connection and pppd in case my pppd
options were wrong.

Any ideas?  I think, maybe, there's some option to say
``if you don't receive a packet in three seconds, the other
side has hungup so hangup'', but can't find any details in
my (rather crap) manual!

Any help appreciated as it's most annoying!

Thanks in advance,
        Ian.

--

2. Regular Expressions.....HUH...!!!

3. dip and PAP

4. Crash in 2.4.17/ptrace

5. PAP and DIP

6. anybody with nn... HELP!

7. PAP using DIP?

8. mksysb restore query

9. PAP and DIP/pppd

10. dip dip dip

11. Whose PPP/PAP is the best?

12. PPPD w/ PAP not working, works fine w/o PAP

13. i am confused: DIP, SLIP, PPP, TCP ....