File searches on Internet

Post by [--Nowhere Man- » Sat, 25 Jan 1997 04:00:00

I'm trying to just search for files on the internet (executable,
zip and other files, not web pages).  I've found that one must wade
through a lot of *when web search engines are used for file
searches (even with advanced querries).

Are there any good search engines or search databases that specialize
in file searches (Linux file searches)? I'm familiar with the VSL engine
at http://www.veryComputer.com/, but are there others?  Is archie still used, and
if so is it up to date with current files?

Thanks,

Matt Wright

File searches on Internet

Post by Stefan Monnie » Sun, 26 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> at http://vsl.cnet.com, but are there others?  Is archie still used, and
> if so is it up to date with current files?

Good question.?I also have had more and more troubles with archie, because it
now "systematically" returns a couple hundred sites with the (exact same)
binary distribution of the soft I'm looking for, but the actual source only
appears much further (makes sense: the binary has been made after the source
distribution got available so it's more recent). Has there been any attempt to
"merge" the list of all the mirror sites of FreeBSD and Linux so as to avoid
being drowned under hundreds of copies of the exact same information ?

        Stefan

1. Search file from 'bottom to top', varying search ?

I need to search a file from bottom to top so to speak, varying the
search each time it matches (thus, the reason why I don't just grep
it).  I'm wondering not exactly *how* to do this, but the best way.
So far, I see two ways - load up the whole file, reverse it, and then
proceed as if it were normal, or, search the whole file for my string,
use the last match to get the next search, and so on and so forth.
Currently, I'm working with perl, but I may later redo it in C.

These methods both seem more than a little inefficient, and I wonder
if there isn't a better way, or if not, at least which one of these
two is best...  The first runs into memory problems, but the second
seems like quite a waste too.

Thanks for your thoughts,
--
David Welton

Se quest'email e` in Italiano, mi dispiace per gli errori:-) FORZA PANTANI!
                                --Linuxista--

2. gcc 2.8.1 and glibc2, Can I compile everything?

3. grep question...how do i search and highlight the search in a file??

4. Matrox Millenium w/4MB and LINUX 1.2.13

5. Need help with a file command to search for files

6. Optimizing out unreferenced variables

7. search in files / database files

8. xlock & shadow passwd

9. Search file system for files containing ucblib

10. Read strings from one file and search for them in a directory containing htm files

11. getting rid of top lines of a file without searching through entire file

12. How to speed up your internet search??

13. Search for "Design of a Secure Internet Gateway" by B. Cheswick