Samba and DHCP

Post by Jason Benne » Fri, 06 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I'm sure this has been answered, but alas I cannot find it....

My machine runs under DHCP, and tends to change its number every reboot
(which only happens when we lose power). Unfortunately, I have to
hardcode my IP into /etc/hosts for Samba to talk properly, which I must
then change later.

How do I have the hosts file change so Samba is always talking properly?

                jason

--

Software Engineer, Cryptography Buff, Gamer
Believer in Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord

Samba and DHCP

Post by brent verne » Fri, 06 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> I'm sure this has been answered, but alas I cannot find it....

> My machine runs under DHCP, and tends to change its number every reboot
> (which only happens when we lose power). Unfortunately, I have to
> hardcode my IP into /etc/hosts for Samba to talk properly, which I must
> then change later.

> How do I have the hosts file change so Samba is always talking properly?

you could always write a quick* perl script to edit the host file
after the ether card is initialized, but there may be a neatclean way
for this to be done.

--brent