DSL Cable Router - Cannot resolve Win2k host names from Linux

DSL Cable Router - Cannot resolve Win2k host names from Linux

Post by Aaron Box » Thu, 01 May 2003 04:36:44

Hello,

I have a small local area network, with a few win2k boxes and a single linux box.

I use a DLink router to do DHCP, and to provide a gateway to the internet.

The linux box is running Redhat9, with DHCP enabled,
and "Automatically obtain DNS info from provider" checked.

Primary DNS server is 192.168.0.254 (the DLInk router)

I am able to ping internet host names from my Linux box,
and I can ping local machines by IP address, but not by name.

I would greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks!

Aaron Boxer

DSL Cable Router - Cannot resolve Win2k host names from Linux

Post by Kenneth A Kauffma » Thu, 01 May 2003 05:35:00

Quote:> Hello,

> I have a small local area network, with a few win2k boxes and a single
linux box.

> I use a DLink router to do DHCP, and to provide a gateway to the internet.

> The linux box is running Redhat9, with DHCP enabled,
> and "Automatically obtain DNS info from provider" checked.

> Primary DNS server is 192.168.0.254 (the DLInk router)

> I am able to ping internet host names from my Linux box,
> and I can ping local machines by IP address, but not by name.

> I would greatly appreciate any help.

> Thanks!

> Aaron Boxer

The internal boxes are not DNS registered.  You can add them to your hosts
file on each box for quickest resolution:

The files needed:
- on Linux -
/etc/hosts

- on windows -
c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc
(substitute drive and winnt as appropriate)

ken k

DSL Cable Router - Cannot resolve Win2k host names from Linux

Post by Aaron Box » Thu, 01 May 2003 10:13:58

Hi Kenneth,

Thanks for your reply.

I could add the internal boxes to /etc/hosts,

but since we are using DHCP, there is a possiblity
that the local IP address will change.

Is there a way of dynamically resolving the name,
without using /etc/hosts ?

Thanks.

Aaron

> > Hello,

> > I have a small local area network, with a few win2k boxes and a single
>  linux box.

> > I use a DLink router to do DHCP, and to provide a gateway to the internet.

> > The linux box is running Redhat9, with DHCP enabled,
> > and "Automatically obtain DNS info from provider" checked.

> > Primary DNS server is 192.168.0.254 (the DLInk router)

> > I am able to ping internet host names from my Linux box,
> > and I can ping local machines by IP address, but not by name.

> > I would greatly appreciate any help.

> > Thanks!

> > Aaron Boxer

> The internal boxes are not DNS registered.  You can add them to your hosts
> file on each box for quickest resolution:

> The files needed:
> - on Linux -
> /etc/hosts

> - on windows -
> c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc
> (substitute drive and winnt as appropriate)

> ken k

DSL Cable Router - Cannot resolve Win2k host names from Linux

Post by Anastasios Zafeiropoulo » Thu, 01 May 2003 11:20:43

To be sure that DHCP changes won't affect your LANs stability, install bind9
package (man bind9 for more info) which is a DNS server with forwarding
capability! Here how it will work:

You will assign dynamic IPs to your clients but the local name of your PCs
will remain constant. If this is the case, then you ll have to go through a
simple configuration of the bind9 package. In detail u ll have to change ur
/etc/named.conf file, and 3 other local zone files in order to get the local
DNS server started.

All your internal PCs will point to your local DNS server which (from now
and on...) will be your linux box running the bind9 service!
If a requested name canot be resolved in this DNS server (ie www.yahoo.com,
or linux.org) , then the request will automatically be forwarded to the
other DNS forwarder which is the DLink router (right?)

Now, the DLink router will forward the packet to your ISP's DNS and then the
reply will come back soon :)

But, u can avoid that unecessary hop of the DLink Name resolution.In other
words u can tune the bind9 to automatically forward unknown DNS requests
directly to your ISP DNS!

That will do the trick. And furthermore, is a more sophisticated way to
resolve Names in your LAN

Greets

> Hi Kenneth,

> Thanks for your reply.

> I could add the internal boxes to /etc/hosts,

> but since we are using DHCP, there is a possiblity
> that the local IP address will change.

> Is there a way of dynamically resolving the name,
> without using /etc/hosts ?

> Thanks.

> Aaron

> > > Hello,

> > > I have a small local area network, with a few win2k boxes and a single
> >  linux box.

> > > I use a DLink router to do DHCP, and to provide a gateway to the
internet.

> > > The linux box is running Redhat9, with DHCP enabled,
> > > and "Automatically obtain DNS info from provider" checked.

> > > Primary DNS server is 192.168.0.254 (the DLInk router)

> > > I am able to ping internet host names from my Linux box,
> > > and I can ping local machines by IP address, but not by name.

> > > I would greatly appreciate any help.

> > > Thanks!

> > > Aaron Boxer

> > The internal boxes are not DNS registered.  You can add them to your
hosts
> > file on each box for quickest resolution:

> > The files needed:
> > - on Linux -
> > /etc/hosts

> > - on windows -
> > c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc
> > (substitute drive and winnt as appropriate)

> > ken k

DSL Cable Router - Cannot resolve Win2k host names from Linux

Post by Aaron Box » Fri, 02 May 2003 21:42:20

Anastasios,

This sounds like an elegant solution.

Thanks for your help.

Aaron

> To be sure that DHCP changes won't affect your LANs stability, install bind9
> package (man bind9 for more info) which is a DNS server with forwarding
> capability! Here how it will work:

> You will assign dynamic IPs to your clients but the local name of your PCs
> will remain constant. If this is the case, then you ll have to go through a
> simple configuration of the bind9 package. In detail u ll have to change ur
> /etc/named.conf file, and 3 other local zone files in order to get the local
> DNS server started.

> All your internal PCs will point to your local DNS server which (from now
> and on...) will be your linux box running the bind9 service!
> If a requested name canot be resolved in this DNS server (ie www.yahoo.com,
> or linux.org) , then the request will automatically be forwarded to the
> other DNS forwarder which is the DLink router (right?)

> Now, the DLink router will forward the packet to your ISP's DNS and then the
> reply will come back soon :)

> But, u can avoid that unecessary hop of the DLink Name resolution.In other
> words u can tune the bind9 to automatically forward unknown DNS requests
> directly to your ISP DNS!

> That will do the trick. And furthermore, is a more sophisticated way to
> resolve Names in your LAN

> Greets

> > Hi Kenneth,

> > Thanks for your reply.

> > I could add the internal boxes to /etc/hosts,

> > but since we are using DHCP, there is a possiblity
> > that the local IP address will change.

> > Is there a way of dynamically resolving the name,
> > without using /etc/hosts ?

> > Thanks.

> > Aaron

>  linux box.

>  internet.

> > > The internal boxes are not DNS registered.  You can add them to your
>  hosts
> > > file on each box for quickest resolution:

> > > The files needed:
> > > - on Linux -
> > > /etc/hosts

> > > - on windows -
> > > c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc
> > > (substitute drive and winnt as appropriate)

> > > ken k

DSL Cable Router - Cannot resolve Win2k host names from Linux

Post by Taso » Sun, 04 May 2003 09:31:33

You are always wellcome...

It's nice to learn

> Anastasios,

> This sounds like an elegant solution.

> Thanks for your help.

> Aaron

> > To be sure that DHCP changes won't affect your LANs stability, install
bind9
> > package (man bind9 for more info) which is a DNS server with forwarding
> > capability! Here how it will work:

> > You will assign dynamic IPs to your clients but the local name of your
PCs
> > will remain constant. If this is the case, then you ll have to go
through a
> > simple configuration of the bind9 package. In detail u ll have to change
ur
> > /etc/named.conf file, and 3 other local zone files in order to get the
local
> > DNS server started.

> > All your internal PCs will point to your local DNS server which (from
now
> > and on...) will be your linux box running the bind9 service!
> > If a requested name canot be resolved in this DNS server (ie
www.yahoo.com,
> > or linux.org) , then the request will automatically be forwarded to the
> > other DNS forwarder which is the DLink router (right?)

> > Now, the DLink router will forward the packet to your ISP's DNS and then
the
> > reply will come back soon :)

> > But, u can avoid that unecessary hop of the DLink Name resolution.In
other
> > words u can tune the bind9 to automatically forward unknown DNS requests
> > directly to your ISP DNS!

> > That will do the trick. And furthermore, is a more sophisticated way to
> > resolve Names in your LAN

> > Greets

> > > Hi Kenneth,

> > > Thanks for your reply.

> > > I could add the internal boxes to /etc/hosts,

> > > but since we are using DHCP, there is a possiblity
> > > that the local IP address will change.

> > > Is there a way of dynamically resolving the name,
> > > without using /etc/hosts ?

> > > Thanks.

> > > Aaron

> >  linux box.

> >  internet.

> >  hosts

DSL Cable Router - Cannot resolve Win2k host names from Linux

Post by myw » Fri, 09 May 2003 08:32:41

Since your DSL router is the "first box" on the network, it should
probably be doing the DHCP serving. The router uses your DSL ip
address, and can best serve the NAT DHCP needs for the rest of the
network. If you REALLY want to use the Linux box as the DHCP server,
get rid of the DSL router, and plug the Linux box direction into the
DSL "modem".  Good Luck.

Mywo

> Hello,

> I have a small local area network, with a few win2k boxes and a single linux box.

> I use a DLink router to do DHCP, and to provide a gateway to the internet.

> The linux box is running Redhat9, with DHCP enabled,
> and "Automatically obtain DNS info from provider" checked.

> Primary DNS server is 192.168.0.254 (the DLInk router)

> I am able to ping internet host names from my Linux box,
> and I can ping local machines by IP address, but not by name.

> I would greatly appreciate any help.

> Thanks!

> Aaron Boxer

1. Wont Resolve Host Names : RedHat 7.1,DFE-530TX+,Linksys Router Problem

Heres the deal... 2 machine hooked up to the router (Linksys BEFSR41) which

like a charm.. I even have Mandrake 8 running as a secondary os on this box
and everything is wonderful.... The Linux box (ip:192.168.1.102) can ping ip
numbers inside the network and outside the network but fails to resolve
hostnames or even connect to external IP's. External people can access the
box.. ie telnet,ftp etc... The NiC on this machine is a D-Link DFE-530TX+
running Red Hat 7.1. Everything is set up like it should... default gateway
192.168.1.1, etc... no clue why its
doing this...

BTW, this isnt a local problem with Red Hat 7.1... it also happened with Red
Hat 7.0 and Mandrake 8.0... also the same thing was happening with a
different Nic with the same RealTek chipset.

Any clues?

2. I messed up my loopback....help

3. error starting httpd - local host name cannot be resolved

4. Gnome 1.4 control-center won't compile?

5. Apache wigs out on startup: cannot resolve host name -- ignoring!

6. Help with Cat

7. Cannot Resolve Host Name Error??

8. can i route one port through a friend's linux box?

9. Q: local host name cannot be resolved ?!?

10. DSL/Cable Router vs "Ordinary Router"

11. Linux/cIPe->Linksys DSL Router->Win2k Server VPN

12. can I setup linux as a router to DSL and cable?

13. LINKSYS Cable/DSL 8 Port Router and LINUX...