SBC DSL and Redhat 8.0: Can ping, but that's it.

SBC DSL and Redhat 8.0: Can ping, but that's it.

Post by j » Sun, 08 Dec 2002 07:31:24

Hi,

I'm having problems getting my SBC DSL working with RedHat 8.0.  The
problem I'm having is that I can ping the internet (IPs and
Hostnames), but I can't web browse, telnet, ftp, etc.

Here's my platform:

- RedHat 8.0
- Netgear NIC card:  Model FA311.
- Efficient Speedstream 5360, ADSL modem
- Mozilla 1.0.1 (shipped with RedHat 8.0)

I've browsed the newsgroups, and below are some of the things I've
tried:

- Switched NIC cards.  This is my third NIC card with the same result.
- Completely reinstalled the OS.
- Added the 'novj' option to the /etc/ppp/options file
- Checked and rechecked my web browser settings, and made sure it's
making a direct connection to the internet

Some other things to note:

I have my machine set up for DHCP, and this seems to be working fine.
I'm able to see /etc/resolv.conf populated with SBC's nameservers, and
I'm also receiving an IP from them.  Hostnames are resolving ok.

I've been spinning my wheels for awhile on this one, so I'd really
appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance,

John

SBC DSL and Redhat 8.0: Can ping, but that's it.

Post by David Efflan » Sun, 08 Dec 2002 09:57:04

Quote:> Hi,

> I'm having problems getting my SBC DSL working with RedHat 8.0.  The
> problem I'm having is that I can ping the internet (IPs and
> Hostnames), but I can't web browse, telnet, ftp, etc.

> Here's my platform:

> - RedHat 8.0
> - Netgear NIC card:  Model FA311.
> - Efficient Speedstream 5360, ADSL modem
> - Mozilla 1.0.1 (shipped with RedHat 8.0)

> I've browsed the newsgroups, and below are some of the things I've
> tried:

> - Switched NIC cards.  This is my third NIC card with the same result.
> - Completely reinstalled the OS.
> - Added the 'novj' option to the /etc/ppp/options file
> - Checked and rechecked my web browser settings, and made sure it's
> making a direct connection to the internet

> Some other things to note:

> I have my machine set up for DHCP, and this seems to be working fine.
> I'm able to see /etc/resolv.conf populated with SBC's nameservers, and
> I'm also receiving an IP from them.  Hostnames are resolving ok.

It puzzles me when you say you are set up for DHCP, when SBC adsl
typically uses PPPoE (unrelated protocol).  You mention /etc/ppp/options,
so I assume you actually use pppoe, but not which one (kernel pppoe
or rp-pppoe?).  Note that older SBC accounts used CHAP and SBC Yahoo uses
PAP authentication, but there were some mix ups on the authentication
servers.

It may help to post the output of /sbin/ifconfig and '/sbin/route -n', but
it sounds like more of a firewall problem if you can ping out by IP or
hostname, but cannot do anything else.  Does your firewall log what it
blocks anywhere (like /var/log/messages)?

I have used both kernel pppoe and rp-pppoe in SuSE 7.3 on SBC adsl.  But
now I use a hardware gateway so unwanted worms and probes do not fill up
my logs.

Post by Brian L. Juergensmeye » Mon, 09 Dec 2002 12:03:03

SBC DSL and Redhat 8.0: Can ping, but that's it.

Post by j » Fri, 13 Dec 2002 12:56:02

So, I figured out what the problem was:

-Wrong defualt username/password from SBC/PacBell.  When they merged
with Yahoo on this DSL deal, they changed it.

Long story, but once they gave me the new username/password (after the
third call and by asking them if the default username/password was
correct) I was able to access their reg site, and register with a
permanent username/password.  Once registered, I was able to browse
without a problem.  Funny, but they have not completely disabled their
old default username/password (it's able to authenticate and make a
PPP connection), but they do block all access other than icmp from the
internet.  This is what was so confusing.  Anyway, I'm too happy to be
angry... :)

David, Brian, thanks for the replies.

John

1. SBC DSL and RedHat 8.0: Can ping, but that's it.

[...]

2. Unexpected NMI in system mode problem

3. anyone running SBC DSL PPPoE with Redhat?

4. amd broken for 2.2.2?

5. Connecting to SBC DSL with RedHat 7.2

6. wm pastes text into background on scrolling

7. Canned "ping"

8. Changing my firewall

9. pppoe, static ips & sbc business dsl

10. pppoe, ethernet, westell wirespeed, SBC, DSL, SuSE support

11. SBC DSL

12. SBC Global DSL connectivity

13. PPPoE (sbc/yahoo dsl) working?