@home cable not working with IP masquerading

Post by Marc Londo » Mon, 27 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Hello everyone,
I have setup my Red Hat 6.1 Linux Pentium 166 (32 ram) to IP masquerade a

Netgear FA-310tx cards).  I have them configured and a weak firewall script
in etc/rc.d/rc.firewall that came from the latest IP Masquerade HOWTO.  My

service, though it is always the same number.  From my Linux box, I was able
to ping both the internel and externel ethernet cards as well as the
internet computers on the network.  I believe that I was also able to ping
an externet IP address (as recommended in the HOWTO) because it gave the
output SOMEWHAT like the following:
  pinging 152.19.254.81 from 24.10.XXX.XXX: 84(54 ms)
...or something like that.  the 152.19.254.81 was the internet IP address
(metalab.unc.edu) while 24.10.xxx.xxx is my externel ethernet card IP

it gave my true address.  Anyways, thats all it gave, no more.  after that
it just stopped, while it usually keeps going.  I also tried to ping the
same externel internet IP address on an internel computer and it did not
work (timed out).
        I get legitimate output from "ifconfig" and everything else too.  I
believed that my setup was correct, but now i am second guessing.  So my
problem is getting ICMP masquerading working.  Could you please help me in
setting this up?  What should i do to finally get this working? Thank you
very much.

@home cable not working with IP masquerading

Post by Tom East » Mon, 27 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Marc,

>Hello everyone,
>I have setup my Red Hat 6.1 Linux Pentium 166 (32 ram) to IP masquerade a

>Netgear FA-310tx cards).  I have them configured and a weak firewall script
>in etc/rc.d/rc.firewall that came from the latest IP Masquerade HOWTO.  My

>service, though it is always the same number.  From my Linux box, I was able
>to ping both the internel and externel ethernet cards as well as the
>internet computers on the network.  I believe that I was also able to ping
>an externet IP address (as recommended in the HOWTO) because it gave the
>output SOMEWHAT like the following:
>  pinging 152.19.254.81 from 24.10.XXX.XXX: 84(54 ms)
>...or something like that.  the 152.19.254.81 was the internet IP address
>(metalab.unc.edu) while 24.10.xxx.xxx is my externel ethernet card IP

>it gave my true address.  Anyways, thats all it gave, no more.  after that
>it just stopped, while it usually keeps going.  I also tried to ping the
>same externel internet IP address on an internel computer and it did not
>work (timed out).
>    I get legitimate output from "ifconfig" and everything else too.  I
>believed that my setup was correct, but now i am second guessing.  So my
>problem is getting ICMP masquerading working.  Could you please help me in
>setting this up?  What should i do to finally get this working? Thank you
>very much.

Placing a file called rc.firewall in /etc/rc.d does nothing on a RedHat
system. While it's not ideal, the easiest thing for you to do is:

a) add the following line to /etc/rc.d/rc.local:

        /etc/rc.d/rc.firewall

b) be sure that /etc/rc.d/rc.firewall is executable by root
c) type "/etc/rc.d/rc.firewall"

-Tom
--
Tom Eastep             \  Eastep's First Principle of Computing:
ICQ #60745924           \  "Any sane computer will tell you how it

Shoreline, Washington USA \___________________________________________

@home cable not working with IP masquerading

Post by Damon Registe » Wed, 29 Mar 2000 04:00:00

On Sun, 26 Mar 2000 03:10:08 GMT,

>Placing a file called rc.firewall in /etc/rc.d does nothing on a RedHat
>system. While it's not ideal, the easiest thing for you to do is:

why not suggest he use your Seawall?  It worked for me.

Damon Register

1. IP Masquerading works, but does not masquerade from within the local network

I've got a box running Redhat 6.1 working as a gateway for our home network.
It's connected to a cable modem, and we've only got one IP address, so it's
doing IP forwarding and masquerading for us.

Now, consider this situation: I've got a webcam running on one of my windows
boxes, whose IP address is 192.168.0.1 (for instance). The webcam is on port
8888, and I've got the linux box set up to forward this port along from
port, say, 9999, using a line much like

ipmasqadm portfw -a -P tcp -L xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 9999 -R 192.168.0.1 8888

in my rc.local.

This works very well for people connecting in from outside - they'd use a
URL like:

http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:9999/video/frame

but if I try and use that URL from inside the local network, it doesn't
connect, I'd have to use:

http://192.168.0.1:8888/video/frame

which is rather annoying as it makes it difficult to test things (I have to
VNC out to work and boot up a browser there)

I'm fairly sure the problem isn't with the webcam software - I've had the
same problem when trying to connected to an apache server inside the network
as well.

any ideas?

cheers,

Tim

2. Video Card Recommendation?

3. @Home cable, DHCP, IP Masquerade success story!

4. 30-sec Pause After Connect on All Services?

5. IP Masquerading/Cable Modem - Wow I got it to work.

6. Printer-problem

7. Help! @Home Cable not working on Linux

8. CDE performance meter

9. IP MASQuerading NOT Masquerading?

10. IP masquerade -- does not work --help

11. IP Masquerading not working