HELP!! Getting Frustrated with Linux going thru win98 too Internet

HELP!! Getting Frustrated with Linux going thru win98 too Internet

Post by Frank Charma » Mon, 18 Dec 2000 19:30:40

I am running RH6.2 on a P120/32meg ram. It is connecting to the Internet
on a RealTek ethernet card using the ne2k drivers. The card is connected
to a win98 box that is directly connected to the net.
the win98 box's internal ip is set to 192.168.0.1 - the linux box is set
to 192.168.0.2  I am able to transfer
files between the two boxes at about 120k/sec (ftp)  and 300k+/sec thru
samba.  When I connect to the
internet using Nutscrape 4.72 it drags and stalls at about 5.6k/sec (I
sometimes get 7.2k/sec)

I have set my linux resolve.conf to use the hosts option (rather than
bind) and it has the isp's dns
server set as the default dns server.

I am able to ping outside of the network and inside of it. (rather
obvious considering the first paragraph)

I am at a loss as to why it is so slooowww.

does anyone have any thoughts?

- ec

Post by Peter T. Breue » Mon, 18 Dec 2000 19:54:34

> I am running RH6.2 on a P120/32meg ram. It is connecting to the Internet
> on a RealTek ethernet card using the ne2k drivers. The card is connected
> to a win98 box that is directly connected to the net.
> the win98 box's internal ip is set to 192.168.0.1 - the linux box is set
> to 192.168.0.2  I am able to transfer
> files between the two boxes at about 120k/sec (ftp)  and 300k+/sec thru

This is extremely slow. ftp should be full bandwidth as it's UDP. on
a 10BT net (I assume), that would be about 1.0MB/s. You have something
very wrong at the link level.

Quote:> samba.  When I connect to the

Yes. Samba is tcp, not udp. That it is faster indicates that your
connection is very lossy. Tcp will behave better on a crowded and
imperfect net that UDP (Unreliable Data Protocol) will.

Quote:> internet using Nutscrape 4.72 it drags and stalls at about 5.6k/sec (I
> sometimes get 7.2k/sec)

Again, looks like an excabarated version of the same problem. The
common link is the winbox. Say no more. Look at your error rates.

Peter

Post by Frank Charma » Tue, 19 Dec 2000 04:35:51

> > I am running RH6.2 on a P120/32meg ram. It is connecting to the Internet
> > on a RealTek ethernet card using the ne2k drivers. The card is connected
> > to a win98 box that is directly connected to the net.
> > the win98 box's internal ip is set to 192.168.0.1 - the linux box is set
> > to 192.168.0.2  I am able to transfer
> > files between the two boxes at about 120k/sec (ftp)  and 300k+/sec thru

> This is extremely slow. ftp should be full bandwidth as it's UDP. on
> a 10BT net (I assume), that would be about 1.0MB/s. You have something
> very wrong at the link level.

It is a 10bt connect yes.  Should I set the dns server to my isp's? or to
192.168.0.1. would either matter?

Quote:

> > samba.  When I connect to the

> Yes. Samba is tcp, not udp. That it is faster indicates that your
> connection is very lossy. Tcp will behave better on a crowded and
> imperfect net that UDP (Unreliable Data Protocol) will.

> > internet using Nutscrape 4.72 it drags and stalls at about 5.6k/sec (I
> > sometimes get 7.2k/sec)

> Again, looks like an excabarated version of the same problem. The
> common link is the winbox. Say no more. Look at your error rates.

I have looked at the dropped packets, etc using netstat and route. the seems
to be none.

I have considered delving into the network and am still not sure what
settings I should look at in windos.
albeit, I realize where the settings are and the proper ip settings in
windos, but what other
settings should I be looking at?

I do have a rh6.2/win98 dual boot sys and in win98 the transfer rate is much
better. Also
this may have something to do with it. I am using SyGate 4.0 as the
routing/gateway software
to the net.

Frank. - anyhelp is muchly appreciated :)

Post by Peter T. Breue » Tue, 19 Dec 2000 04:50:43

>> > I am running RH6.2 on a P120/32meg ram. It is connecting to the Internet
>> > on a RealTek ethernet card using the ne2k drivers. The card is connected
>> > to a win98 box that is directly connected to the net.
>> > the win98 box's internal ip is set to 192.168.0.1 - the linux box is set
>> > to 192.168.0.2  I am able to transfer
>> > files between the two boxes at about 120k/sec (ftp)  and 300k+/sec thru

>> This is extremely slow. ftp should be full bandwidth as it's UDP. on
>> a 10BT net (I assume), that would be about 1.0MB/s. You have something
>> very wrong at the link level.

> It is a 10bt connect yes.  Should I set the dns server to my isp's? or to
> 192.168.0.1. would either matter?

The dns server can be any one you like, that you can reach, and is able
and willing to talk to you. Do you HAVE a dns server on .1 ? I strongly
doubt it!

Quote:> I have looked at the dropped packets, etc using netstat and route. the seems
> to be none.

Use ifconfig. How can you tell with netstat (and/or route)? Or do you
mean recv/send queue counts? Surely they don't show you anything about
the link level. Oh, I see, you mean netstat -s. which shows you some
info. No, you need info from the link itself. Look at the number of
retransmissions in tcp in netstat, for example.  But use ifconfig.

Quote:> I do have a rh6.2/win98 dual boot sys and in win98 the transfer rate is much
> better. Also

I don't care. As they are they are awful. So Something Is Wrong. Find
it. Start with the wiring and work your way up.

Quote:> this may have something to do with it. I am using SyGate 4.0 as the
> routing/gateway software
> to the net.

The internet is not involved.

How are the two cards connected? x-over cable or hub? Are they both
duplex or both half-duplex? Duplex mismatches are a common problem.

Peter

Post by Frank Charma » Thu, 28 Dec 2000 08:23:54

> >> This is extremely slow. ftp should be full bandwidth as it's UDP. on
> >> a 10BT net (I assume), that would be about 1.0MB/s. You have something
> >> very wrong at the link level.

> > It is a 10bt connect yes.  Should I set the dns server to my isp's? or to
> > 192.168.0.1. would either matter?

> The dns server can be any one you like, that you can reach, and is able
> and willing to talk to you. Do you HAVE a dns server on .1 ? I strongly
> doubt it!

It's using WINS, and I do realize that it's a setting problem in Linux.

Quote:

> > I have looked at the dropped packets, etc using netstat and route. the seems
> > to be none.

> Use ifconfig. How can you tell with netstat (and/or route)? Or do you
> mean recv/send queue counts? Surely they don't show you anything about
> the link level. Oh, I see, you mean netstat -s. which shows you some
> info. No, you need info from the link itself. Look at the number of
> retransmissions in tcp in netstat, for example.  But use ifconfig.

Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
inet addr:192.168.0.2 Bcast:192.168.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
RX packets:6123 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frames:25
collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
Interrupt:11 Base address:0xff40

Quote:

> How are the two cards connected? x-over cable or hub? Are they both
> duplex or both half-duplex? Duplex mismatches are a common problem.

the two cards are connected by a crossover cable. and as far as I can tell, the
linux card is
half and the win card is definately half.

Quote:

> Peter

1. Getting W2K to access the internet thru Linux

Hi folks,
Quick question that may be easily answered =).  I have linux and W2k
working on separate computers in a network in my house.  I currently use
WinGate to get my W2k machine to access the internet, however, it is
only possible to do this if win98 is running on my linux machine.

Is there any (cheap or free) way to get my W2k machine to recognize the
Linux machine over the network and use it to access the internet without
using some kind of software like WinGate?

Thanks for your help,

p.s. Please e-mail reply if it isn't too much trouble.

2. scanner woes

3. need help getting out on windows box thru my linux out to my dsl

4. about battery driver source

5. Win computers accessing Internet thru Linux gateway not working, help!

6. webmin and certificates: different cert needed for apache?

7. Help Internet network cannot go to INternet

8. sendmail error...

9. Frustrated - simply cannot get network card getting in Redhat Linux |

10. linux thru "linux server" to internet

11. Frustrated - simply cannot get network card getting in Redhat Linux

12. linux client to internet through win98...help

13. client can't go to secure sites thru linux gateway?