icmp : does icmp have no dependency on dns?

icmp : does icmp have no dependency on dns?

Post by s. cham » Thu, 14 Dec 2000 00:23:38

hi.

i was working on helping someone to get a suse-install fixed-up for dns,
and found out that he was able able to ping places even when there
apparently isn't a valid entry in /etc/rc.config ( which, by default, is
used by the suse scripts to generate a resolv.conf )

the question+:

does icmp-packet routing not depend on DNS ?

does tcp-packet routing depend on dns ?

does anything depend on dns besides whatever is buried in something like
a netscape?

  (if so, any tips on (a url for, or a book if no url) where to find a
table of what depends on what?)

thanks!

--
sc

icmp : does icmp have no dependency on dns?

Post by Tom Porter, Ph. » Thu, 14 Dec 2000 00:42:49

On Tue, 12 Dec 2000 07:23:38 -0800, "s. champ"

>hi.

>i was working on helping someone to get a suse-install fixed-up for dns,
>and found out that he was able able to ping places even when there
>apparently isn't a valid entry in /etc/rc.config ( which, by default, is
>used by the suse scripts to generate a resolv.conf )

>the question+:

>does icmp-packet routing not depend on DNS ?

If you ping by address, no.

Quote:

>does tcp-packet routing depend on dns ?

No. Routing is a network layer mechanism.

Quote:

>does anything depend on dns besides whatever is buried in something like
>a netscape?

Yes. DNS does name to IP number mapping - so you don't have to
remember the IP address of everything you are internetworked with.

Tom

Quote:

>  (if so, any tips on (a url for, or a book if no url) where to find a
>table of what depends on what?)

>thanks!

icmp : does icmp have no dependency on dns?

Post by Michiel Lo » Thu, 14 Dec 2000 00:56:12

Sc.

It depends as the normal answer.

ping is not dependent on dns, neither is traceroute, unless you are doing
name lookup features.

Practically: ping 192.168.100.10 should work, while ping www.haht.com does
not work since it requires name lookup.
Also ping will look in the hosts file to find any ip addresses for specified
hostnames.

Hope this helps.

Michiel Los
HAHT Commerce BV

Quote:> hi.

Post by Bob Hau » Thu, 14 Dec 2000 10:44:05

On Tue, 12 Dec 2000 07:23:38 -0800, s. champ

>does icmp-packet routing not depend on DNS ?

Routing does not depend on DNS.  What depends on DNS is human-readable
names, which DNS maps to IP addresses.  Routing depends on IP addresses.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

1. ICMP HOST cannot build IP Header address to echo ICMP HOST

 this is the error message i get when trying to telnet anywhere but to my
domain serveror ping anything but my domain server i also get it when logged
into any other machine but my domain server even machines on the same net will
recognize dns make an attempt then puke! i assume this a problem in my
config which is preventing the returning or "echoing" of the returns off of
commands that require two way communication i have tried everything that i
know and then some!! please HELP ME !!!!!!!!!!!!
                                    thanks big time in advance

2. Best way to validate/process this lang-like data list?

3. make icmp.c be more verbose on broadcast icmp errors

4. ACPI: compilation fixes

5. DNS and ICMP

6. Can't find libXm.a?

7. Relation between ICMP and DNS servers?

8. Choice of development machines

9. ICMP- traceroute -DNS

10. ICMP Echo Request (ping) automagically preceeding or following DNS reply -- Security Problem?

11. ICMP messages <- what are they doing?

12. Dos/smurf/icmp/tcpdump/snmp-mib2

13. How to log icmp and DOS attack?