Linux and Microsoft Proxy Server 2.0

Post by Tony Melende » Fri, 19 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Greetings,
    I have been trying to get Netscape Communicator under Linux to use MS
Proxy 2.0 to connect to the internet. However, I don't seem to be having
much luck. I can see Netscape vigorously try to access the NT Server but it
finally fails and Netscape displays a message of Error: Access Denied. Has
anyone had any luck with this? I am currently using Slackware Linux 2.0.34
(InfoMagic July 1998 release). Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA.

Tony Melendez
Senior Software Engineer
The LongView Group, Inc.

Linux and Microsoft Proxy Server 2.0

Post by Rocky Dea » Fri, 19 Feb 1999 04:00:00

use MMC on the proxy server, edit the properties of the HTTP proxy, and make
sure you check it to allow access. by default, ms proxy 2.0 allows access to
noone, so you have to set it yourself.

Rocky

Post by John Nelso » Fri, 19 Feb 1999 04:00:00

>Greetings,
>    I have been trying to get Netscape Communicator under Linux to use MS
>Proxy 2.0 to connect to the internet. However, I don't seem to be having
>much luck. I can see Netscape vigorously try to access the NT Server but it
>finally fails and Netscape displays a message of Error: Access Denied. Has
>anyone had any luck with this? I am currently using Slackware Linux 2.0.34
>(InfoMagic July 1998 release). Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA.

MS Proxy Server, by default, uses NT's encrypted authentication scheme.
Change this to clear-text only, or both, and you should get the
authentication dialog box in Netscape. Enter a valid username and PW and
away you go. Alternatively, you could set proxy server to allow anonymous
access.

Linux and Microsoft Proxy Server 2.0

Post by Raymond Doetje » Sat, 20 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Try setting up a default route to your NT box.
Don't enter any setting is you proxy list in Netscape.

Raymond

> Greetings,
>     I have been trying to get Netscape Communicator under Linux to use MS
> Proxy 2.0 to connect to the internet. However, I don't seem to be having
> much luck. I can see Netscape vigorously try to access the NT Server but it
> finally fails and Netscape displays a message of Error: Access Denied. Has
> anyone had any luck with this? I am currently using Slackware Linux 2.0.34
> (InfoMagic July 1998 release). Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA.

> --
> Tony Melendez
> Senior Software Engineer
> The LongView Group, Inc.

 The Rolling Stones knew the truth on Windows 95
                ...Start me...
I can't compete, with the riders in the other heats

Post by Carl R. Frien » Sun, 21 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> Greetings,
>     I have been trying to get Netscape Communicator under Linux to
> use MS Proxy 2.0 to connect to the internet. However, I don't seem
> to be having much luck.

   This symptom exhibits itself with _all_ browsers save Internet
Exploder. M$ *ed with the HTTP standard and produced a bogus
header which is used in their proprietary authentication scheme. This
is to be expected - see the "Halloween Documents".

   The way around this is to disable authentication on the Proxy
server (it's on by default). This _should_ get rid of the bogus
header. (The proxy passes back the "access denied" page by default
with the "Authentication: NTLM" header. This can actually make some
browsers dump core!)

   Of course, the other way to solve the problem - permanently - is
to s*M$ Proxy and run Squid or some other standards-compliant
proxy system. Generally, performance of the M$ proxy will be sub-
standard for all browsers other than IE (it has to do with the way
that MS implemented cache coherency).

| Carl Richard Friend (UNIX Sysadmin)            | West Boylston       |
| Minicomputer Collector / Enthusiast            | Massachusetts, USA  |

| http://www.veryComputer.com/~crfriend/museum       | ICBM: N42:22 W71:47 |