redhat 6.2 can't ping NT Host

Post by rmha.. » Fri, 28 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Anyone else have this problem with rethat 6.2 (5.0 worked)? I have been
through the set and reinstalls at least ten times yes the results of
ifconfig and netstat -rn are fine standard class c addressing however I
can not get this thing to ping!!! I have tried two different NIC both
have driver modules and light up when the drive mod loads loopback
works and you can ping the local machine but can not see the net? It is
as if they are on different subnets but they are not? I have even tried
a crossover cable directly to the NT server machine but host is
unreachable. Yes I have default routing but Im not even at this level!
The cards can not see each others IP? Something is really amiss

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

redhat 6.2 can't ping NT Host

Post by Marc » Fri, 28 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Hi,
Did you try to ping your loopback? (127.0.0.1, perhaps your ip-stack isn't
working correct)
What about pinging from your NT-machine tot your Linux-box, does this work?

Success,
Marco

> Anyone else have this problem with rethat 6.2 (5.0 worked)? I have been
> through the set and reinstalls at least ten times yes the results of
> ifconfig and netstat -rn are fine standard class c addressing however I
> can not get this thing to ping!!! I have tried two different NIC both
> have driver modules and "light up" when the drive mod loads loopback
> works and you can ping the local machine but can not see the net? It is
> as if they are on different subnets but they are not? I have even tried
> a crossover cable directly to the NT server machine but host is
> unreachable. Yes I have default routing but I'm not even at this level!
> The cards can not "see" each others IP? Something is really amiss.

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

redhat 6.2 can't ping NT Host

Post by somebo » Wed, 23 Aug 2000 04:00:00

IF your using a dialup connection on the nt box or cable modem
what ever the case maybe, you need to enable
"internet connection sharing for this device"
so machines on your lan can access this device dialup/cable etc.

Also have you made sure the gateway has been set to route to the nt
machine?

>Hi,
>Did you try to ping your loopback? (127.0.0.1, perhaps your ip-stack isn't
>working correct)
>What about pinging from your NT-machine tot your Linux-box, does this work?

>Success,
>Marco

>> Anyone else have this problem with rethat 6.2 (5.0 worked)? I have been
>> through the set and reinstalls at least ten times yes the results of
>> ifconfig and netstat -rn are fine standard class c addressing however I
>> can not get this thing to ping!!! I have tried two different NIC both
>> have driver modules and "light up" when the drive mod loads loopback
>> works and you can ping the local machine but can not see the net? It is
>> as if they are on different subnets but they are not? I have even tried
>> a crossover cable directly to the NT server machine but host is
>> unreachable. Yes I have default routing but I'm not even at this level!
>> The cards can not "see" each others IP? Something is really amiss.

>> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>> Before you buy.

redhat 6.2 can't ping NT Host

Post by gr8fuln.. » Wed, 23 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Funny this should come up, I've got (more or less) the same problem from
a Win98 machine that was noticed just last night.  Both my roomie and I
have computers, his is the Win98.  From a command line he can ping my
box (10.0.0.xx since we are behind our isp's firewall) but I cannot see
his at all and it is also a 10.0.0.xx ip.

--Dave

> IF your using a dialup connection on the nt box or cable modem
> what ever the case maybe, you need to enable
> "internet connection sharing for this device"
> so machines on your lan can access this device dialup/cable etc.

> Also have you made sure the gateway has been set to route to the nt
> machine?

> >Hi,
> >Did you try to ping your loopback? (127.0.0.1, perhaps your ip-stack
isn't
> >working correct)
> >What about pinging from your NT-machine tot your Linux-box, does this
work?

> >Success,
> >Marco

Quote:> >> Anyone else have this problem with rethat 6.2 (5.0 worked)? I have