one modem for Linux, FreeBSD and Win98\2000

one modem for Linux, FreeBSD and Win98\2000

Post by mz » Tue, 29 May 2001 23:42:00

Hi there,

I hope someone can help me with this one...

I'm looking at assembling one computer for 4 different users and each of
them will need an access to the Net from a different operating system
(each user will have one, removable IDE HDD).

Can I use just one modem? If so, which one (make and model) runs equally
well under Linux, FreeBSD and Win98\2000? Would prefer an internal one.

Thanks in advance,
Regards,
Mirek Zywert

one modem for Linux, FreeBSD and Win98\2000

Post by Dean Thompso » Tue, 29 May 2001 23:45:24

Hi!,

Quote:> I hope someone can help me with this one...

> I'm looking at assembling one computer for 4 different users and each of
> them will need an access to the Net from a different operating system
> (each user will have one, removable IDE HDD).

> Can I use just one modem? If so, which one (make and model) runs equally
> well under Linux, FreeBSD and Win98\2000? Would prefer an internal one.

Personally, I like the US Robotics modems, however it doesn't really matter as
long as it works.  I would however recommend that you get a modem which is
external and connects to the serial port, as some Internal Modems may not be
totally Linux or FreeBSD friendly.

The HARDWARE-HOWTO at http://www.linuxdoc.org might also provide you with an
insight into some good brands to take a look at.

See ya

Dean Thompson

one modem for Linux, FreeBSD and Win98\2000

Post by James Knot » Wed, 30 May 2001 01:39:00

I assume you're referring to dial up modems for use on the phone line.
If so, stay away from "Winmodems", as real modems don't care what OS
you're runnig.  If you're referring to cable modems, just get one with
an ethernet connection and it will work with anything capable of running
IP.

--
Replies sent via e-mail to this address will be promptly ignored.

Post by Ian Northeas » Wed, 30 May 2001 03:32:29

> Hi there,

> I hope someone can help me with this one...

> I'm looking at assembling one computer for 4 different users and each of
> them will need an access to the Net from a different operating system
> (each user will have one, removable IDE HDD).

> Can I use just one modem? If so, which one (make and model) runs equally
> well under Linux, FreeBSD and Win98\2000? Would prefer an internal one.

You would be *much* better off with an external. Do you have any reason
not to use one? An external will be quite happy under all those OSs, but
an internal may or may not work. Finding an internal which will work
under all of them could be a problem.

Regards, Ian

one modem for Linux, FreeBSD and Win98\2000

Post by mz » Wed, 30 May 2001 07:10:11

Hello again,

Thanks to you all for the replies. Looks like I'll be getting a real, hardware
driven, dial-up external modem.

Cheers,
Mirek

1. SOHO 2000, Cable Modem, Mandrake, and Win98 Networking

Ok, here's the situation.  When my cable company finally releases cable
internet service I'm going to buy a BeadleNet SOHO 2000.  What it does is
act as a firewall/hub, and masks 4 machines behind one IP.  If you enable
DHCP and allow DHCP for WINS resolution it will allow up to four machines to
share files and the Internet connection.  My question is how do I make my
Mandrake 6.0 machine do that.  I think I remember how to tell it to use
DHCP, but I'm kind of lost on the DHCP for WINS resolution.  It's easy on my
wife's Win 98 machine, it's just a checkbox.  Any Ideas?

2. sed assignment

3. Help me install Win98(NT,2000) + OS/2 + Linux to 1 comp.

4. learn samba

5. Win98 can not see Linux DHCP/Samba Server (WinNT/2000 can)

6. tcp_write_xmit

7. Multibooting Linux with win98/nt/2000

8. Where to find 1650A serial card

9. Multi-boot with Solaris 8, Win98, Win 2000 and RedHat Linux 6.2?

10. Wishlists for Linux AND Windows 2000 (was Re: Wishlists for Linux (vs) Windows 2000)

11. Linux and Windows 2000 on one notebook?

12. Linux, Windows 2000 & Windows 98 on one Disk

13. Win 98, 2000 and Linux on one computer